How do I install Linuxant modem drivers in Puppy on ext HDD?

JDP

How do I install Linuxant modem drivers in Puppy on ext HDD?

#1 Post by JDP »

It seems that I have to ask (yet again) for some help. I have a HP/Compaq laptop with a HSF Conexant modem. On the internal hard drive I am running PCLinuxOS, have installed the Linuxant drivers for the modem, and paid my money for unrestricted speed. It works well. They say that this license applies to any distribution used on this computer.
Now I have installed Puppy 4.1.2 retro on an external USB hard disk. But I haven't yet been able to install the Linuxant drivers for the modem. I have the drivers in RPM, DEB and tar.gz packages. When I click on the RPM it tells me that I need another type of RPM installer, nothing happens when I click on the DEB, and when I try to "make install" the tar.gz it tells me that it doesn't recognize the make command.
So I downloaded the dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet from the version 4 repository (using PCLOS, of course), thinking that it would make it possible for me to install the DEB package, but when I click on it in Puppy, it asks me if I want to install the pet, and when I click on "yes", it just blinks then nothing happens. When I open the installer it doesn't list the dpkg-deb package as installed.
So can anyone please tell me how to install either a rpm, deb, or tar.gz?
By the way, where I live on a tiny island in the South Pacific, dsl is too expensive to be an option, and buying an external modem is not practical either, so I am stuck with the internal modem and dialup.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

JDP

To encourage someone to post

#2 Post by JDP »

Seems all is very quiet. . .
I have made some progress since my first post, but still no working modem. Here is what I have done and where I am (All downloads done, as explained in my first post, in PCLinuxOS):
I installed dotpuphandler-0.0.4-2.pet, which made it possible for me to install Unrpm.undeb.pup, which made it possible for me to install the linmodems package.
However, when I run hsfconfig, I get asked this question:
Where is the linux source build directory that matcyes your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux]
Either hitting enter, or typing the suggested string brings quite a lot of info, including what seems the important bit, this:
WARNING: missing file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).
Thinking that it may help, I downloaded devx_412.sfs, put it in the right place, and added it to my startup sequence. But the problem remains.
Anyone able to suggest anything?

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

You need to install the kernel source for the version of puppy you are running also.
It can be found at ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... modules-4/

This thread, though old, may offer some assistance as you proceed.

JDP

Progress, but not there yet

#4 Post by JDP »

jcoder,
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the kernel source files and tried again. This time it does do a config, but has an error as per this screenshot.
When I try to use the puppy internet connection to dial out, it finds the modem, but has an input/output error.
Oh, linuxant has also wrecked my sound, but that's a relatively minor issue.
As always, would appreciate any advice.[/img]

Artie

#5 Post by Artie »

Since you are running PCLinuxOS please be aware that their main repositories are still running Firefox 3.0 instead of 3.0.5, Opera 9.50 instead of 9.63 and please read http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=52648.0. To have a secure system you might want to upgrade the programs you use the most from their original homepages.

Artie