Puppy thinks my CD-ROM/DVD-ROM can save to DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
kaia

Puppy thinks my CD-ROM/DVD-ROM can save to DVD

#1 Post by kaia »

Update:
The CDRW/DVD-ROM combo mentioned below, is not. It is not a CDRW, only CD-ROM/DVD-ROM...
I am a bit puzzeled, -must have swapped my own CDRW/DVD drive with a look-alike at work I guess.

But probably the wizard should notice that there is no writeable media?

I'll go looking for my old drive and retry. Now I'm using puppy off a usb memory stick on a Dell X300 at home, and on an (up to now) slow PIII at work. Great distro!

----
Original posting:

First: -I'm really impressed over this truly great little distro!

But, I have a small problem on one of my computers:

I have a CDRW/DVD combo drive, but the DVD is read only.

The wizard notices the DVD, but not that it's read only, so when I shut down it insist on writing to a dvd, wich of course will not work...

Is there a way I can make it use Graveman to write the session to the CD-R?

kind regards,
kaia
Last edited by kaia on Tue 22 Nov 2005, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Did you burn the iso file to a CD or a DVD?

Puppy is supposed to detect the media and then burn appropriately at shutdown. If you are using a DVD disc then there will be the problem you report.
If you are using a CD-R disc, then there is a problem with Puppy's detection of the media.

kaia

#3 Post by kaia »

[quote="BarryK"]Did you burn the iso file to a CD or a DVD?[/quote]

I burned it to a CD (CD-R)

[quote]Puppy is supposed to detect the media and then burn appropriately at shutdown. If you are using a DVD disc then there will be the problem you report.
If you are using a CD-R disc, then there is a problem with Puppy's detection of the media.[/quote]

That might be. But the help text offered by the wizard suggest that one of two burner programs might be used, one of which will not detect the media. Could I edit some file to make the wizard use the other program instead? (I would need a rather careful step by step instruction though)

regards,
kaia

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

kaia wrote:
BarryK wrote:Did you burn the iso file to a CD or a DVD?
I burned it to a CD (CD-R)
Puppy is supposed to detect the media and then burn appropriately at shutdown. If you are using a DVD disc then there will be the problem you report.
If you are using a CD-R disc, then there is a problem with Puppy's detection of the media.
That might be. But the help text offered by the wizard suggest that one of two burner programs might be used, one of which will not detect the media. Could I edit some file to make the wizard use the other program instead? (I would need a rather careful step by step instruction though)

regards,
kaia
I would like to know why it is going wrong in your case.

/tmp/rc.reboot has the shutdown script. You can edit this, but you will have to save the edited copy somewhere in /root (if you want to reuse it), as next time Puppy boots it will restore the original file.

At bootup, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit-cd has this code:

Code: Select all

DVDRWMEDIAINFO="`/usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo $ONECD 2>&1`"
if [ ! "`echo -n "$DVDRWMEDIAINFO" | grep --extended-regexp "non\\-DVD|not a DVD unit"`" = "" ];then
 MEDIATYPE="CD"
else
 MEDIATYPE="DVD"
fi
echo -n "$MEDIATYPE" > /root/.etc/multisessionmediatype
...so, it should have put "CD" into /etc/multisessionmediatype.
A good starting point would be to ask, what do you have in /etc/multisessionmediatype?

If it is wrong, execute that line:

# /usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo $ONECD 2>&1 | grep --extended-regexp "non\\-DVD|not a DVD unit"
...if it gives the wrong thing, you could probably just run
# dvd+rw-mediainfo
and examine the output.
...then try to figure out how to fix the detection.

kaia

#5 Post by kaia »

Thanks for ideas, I will try that when I get to the machine again, probably not before 30hrs or so.
BarryK wrote:

if [ ! "`echo -n "$DVDRWMEDIAINFO" | grep --extended-regexp "non\\-DVD|not a DVD unit"`" = "" ];then
Just a thought: 'DVD' is in the string the wizard presents to show what drive it is talking about... ? Along with 'SONY' (if memory serves me right) and other info.

Well, I will try your suggestions and report back, -thanks!

kaia

#6 Post by Guest »

I have a similar problem. Puppy 1.0.6 thinks that my CD-RW drive can write DVDs because

dvd+rw-mediainfo [cd writer device]
gives the error
":-( (text equivalent) Unable to MODE SENSE #2A: Input/Output error"
I modified rc.sysinit-cd to resolve that problem, but the session still doesn't save. cdrecord said that it wrote about 60 MB to the CD, but nothing was saved; it seemed to have burnt about 60 MB of nothing. There were no unusual errors during the write, just the "BurnSense Mode 00 50 00 00 00 00"error, which has been present during sucessful writes.

#7 Post by Guest »

I tried burning another copy of my modified remastered Puppy onto a CD-R, and it did the same thing on the first shutdown, but the multisesion CD is working fine (problem solved). Could the aprox. 60 MB have included the files copied from /root0 to /root (on the first boot) ?