POLL: Which is your favorite PUPPY LOGO Font Style?

Promote Puppy !
aahhaaa

POLL: Which is your favorite PUPPY LOGO Font Style?

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

I'm curious about how everybody 'sees' Puppy, and have been fooling around with a few logo designs in GIMP.
In logos, a font style says a lot about the feel of something; so a quick way to start on a custom design is to review existing fonts, seeing how the specific letters form up and express 'the essence'.

Below are a few font styles from GIMP, which of them appeals to YOU the most? Why?

My immediate goal is to get a better icon together for places like Distrowatch; this is totally unofficial, but my hope is that we could have a contest sometime for a coordinating logo (and of course build a relational feel for the companion kennels). Hopefully this will tell us all something about Puppy's overall image. Anything I do is totally open source- feel free to use it as you see fit. Hope this is OK with everybody. :wink:
Attachments
PupFontz.gif
These are just some of the fonts available within GIMP...
(29.64 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times

bombayrockers

#2 Post by bombayrockers »

Gaze looks good.

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

I like Bremen -- it has a bone-ish look to it.

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Have you looked at the paw Icon? IMHO it is the most professionally designed Icon of them all.

Regarding the Fonts Miandra looks puppyish.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

forte.

everybody likes something different :lol:

raffy

Forte

#6 Post by raffy »

Forte seems to imply speed but is simple.

aahhaaa

#7 Post by aahhaaa »

you guys have pretty much picked my favorites; here the short list. Some of the others were in there because of the way they handled the word LINUX. I'm seeing some commonalities now... interesting! :D

The pawprint is totally cool; I'm encouraged to find all the features needed for that kind of work in GIMP; it seems fully the equal of Paint Shop Pro in terms of graphics; and easier to learn.
Attachments
PupFontz2.gif
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 1210 times

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm absolutely horrible at deciding what I like more, so I rarely have a single favorite anything. So I wind up having to choose several favorites. For these, my favorites are:
Bremen
Forte
Maiandra
Simpson
Gaze

One thing I can choose a favorite for is my operating system. Puppy wins hands down.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jcagle

#9 Post by jcagle »

I like Maiandra

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Maiandra and forte are the 2 I like most.

I think it would be interesting to see. how they look scaled down.
On Web-pages, you often use small logos with small fonts.

Mark

aahhaaa

#11 Post by aahhaaa »

Mark- (I'm sure you know all this... :D )

You're right; in the Distrowatch lineup, the distro icons are 80x80 pixels, just like the avatars here. People here seem to like the more cursive, informal fonts for Puppy.

There are a jillion subtle considerations in making a logo. One is that it should look good in tiny black&white only, so that's a good place to start.

Using an advanced graphics program like GIMP, with its vector paths, fonts can be stretched, perspectivized, texturized, even animated. This is just a starting point, but if the customized logo is related to font family, then it makes for nice associated headers & titles using 'stock' alphanumerics.

My next Qs are:

Should a Puppy logo include the word Linux? and/or the version?

Should the logo (always?) include a Puppy dog in the image?