test puppy iso

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
not-logged-in-barryk

test puppy iso

#1 Post by not-logged-in-barryk »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Do you have a checksum? I am downloading again . . . first try no good :oops:
OK I am in

The lock seems to be deactivated by any entry - so not very secure . . .

This is the second time I have looked at pupzip (xarchive)- not sure how it works does it only do unzip, does it not work with tar? No seems to do the lot - I am too stoopid to get it working . . .
fragger seems to work OK - my pup 001 needs defragging . . .
Gnumeric is not linked and running from the menu . . .
Will play some more :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

The lock seems to be deactivated by any entry - so not very secure . . .
Ha ha, I never tried entering anything but the correct password!
This is the second time I have looked at pupzip (xarchive)- not sure how it works does it only do unzip, does it not work with tar? No seems to do the lot - I am too stoopid to get it working . . .
Supposed to do all of this: rpm, deb, rar, tar, gzip, zip, bzip2
...let me know steps that you have followed, that seem to be going wrong.
Gnumeric is not linked and running from the menu . . .
hmmm, I'll have to look at that (running 1.0.6 right now).

not-logged-in-barryk

#4 Post by not-logged-in-barryk »

Okay, I know what the problem is with Gnumeric.

It was all that stuffing around trying to upgrade Gnumeric.
I upgraded libgsf, and now there is a symlink missing, but even putting that in, Gnumeric starts, but there are problems with missing symbols in the libsf library.

I hate it when that happens. A later version of the library should be backwards compatible. The version change is from 1.10.1 to 1.13.1, so it's not like a major version number change. The API developers can be incredibly annoying.

I will fix this by reverting to the previous libgsf, also revert libgnomeprint just in case.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Did not turn off my computer (has been doing this the last few versions) when closing down
. . . wait just a dog gone minute . . . closed down again 0 second usage and it worked . . .

It also meant I had the opportunity of booting up in 640x480 (think it was) the three new icons were bunched up - need to go closer to the left. Maybe one line down . . .

I really like the lava lamp screen saver and wonder how it will work on an underpowered machine - OK I think if the code is good.

I am sure that tiny codes for screen savers exist - say 5k - so for 20k we could have 3 more . . .

Ideal fun task for jesse and our C coders

One nice thing I have more screen size options and the percentage of codes being displayed is good - this could be diverted into a suggestion box with Puppy Basic? That would make it easier.

I guessed that is what happened with Gnumeric

will try the xarchive again later.

Liked the colour explorer that will probably be of interest for grafpup

The fragger invites a defragger - a potentaially dangerous prog - need to be careful here - with testing (assuming we get one)

On the burn2iso (like in burncdbc) is it possible to offer an erase data on a CDRW (making it blank for wrting) from script? I am very pleased with this script. Many thanks for it.

:)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 24 Nov 2005, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

On the burn2iso (like in burncdbc) is it possible to offer an erase data on a CDRW (making it blank for wrting) from script? I am very pleased with this script. Many thanks for it.

Yes, I was also thinking that is needed. I've written it into the to-do list.

rob-not-logged-in

conflicting pupxxx files

#7 Post by rob-not-logged-in »

As more and more people start creating their own puppy offshoots, conflicting pupxxx files may create unexpected results for new users. To avoid conflicting pupxxx files due to the influx of new puppy versions, I suggest that a register of which pupxxx files have already been used be kept on a wikki page. What do people think?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Do it and it is done - do you need advice on creating a wiki page? (look under Howto's) or on the wiki :)

As far as I am aware this is already happening

Pup007 is reserved for our security based Puppy
Grafpup used pup101 in version 1 and pup100 in version 1 (think that is right)
anyone know others?

!.0.7 test is using Pup004 (I believe)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: conflicting pupxxx files

#9 Post by Flash »

rob-not-logged-in wrote:As more and more people start creating their own puppy offshoots, conflicting pupxxx files may create unexpected results for new users. To avoid conflicting pupxxx files due to the influx of new puppy versions, I suggest that a register of which pupxxx files have already been used be kept on a wikki page. What do people think?
It would be a great idea if everyone knew about it. The problem is that there are many places on the internet where it might be put. Inevitably, some developer would either not be aware there is a register or forget to check it. :cry:

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pizzapup uses pup015, and I'm going to keep using it just to make things easier to keep track of.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kethd

busybox: Permission denied

#11 Post by kethd »

Thanks for offering the testload of Busybox -- but when I try, I just get:
# ./busybox df
bash: ./busybox: Permission denied

What secret handshake am I missing?
Busybox 1.01

It is intended that Busybox v1.01 will be in Puppy 1.0.7, up from 0.60.5 in all previous Puppies.

See the News page for details (17-Nov-05): http://www.pupweb.org/puppy/news.htm

Get it here: busybox.gz

You can experiment by invoking the "applets" like this:
# ./busybox df
...in this example, will execute df.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

kethd,
It's probably the permissions of the busybox executable are wrong.
Do this:

# chmod 755 busybox
# ./busybox df

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

I expect to upload Puppy 1.0.7alpha about the 8th Dec.
...although, I know from past experience, shouldn't set deadlines.

See the Developer News page 1-Dec-05.

kethd

chmod

#14 Post by kethd »

Yes, that did the trick, thanks...
Nice to have a hexdump, but the options/output is pretty lame -- I've heard od has some better output (hex + ascii side-by-side?) choices -- could we have that enabled in busybox too, please?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

it's trivially easy to make a dotpup package ... a hexeditor might be more useful

kethd

#16 Post by kethd »

The core set of functionality in standard-issue Puppy is quite an important issue.

When newbies have questions, we all need to be able to give answers that are as simple as possible. Any answer that has to start "download this dotpup or pupget tool first so that you can start dealing with this issue" is not so useful. (As a new user of Puppy, I have had many problems with dotpup/pupget, in terms of needing to get stuff just to get my Puppy working, and not succeeding.)

I have struggled for days, trying to work out the simplest advice to give a Puppy newbie who needs/wants to actually look at their boot sector to see what is going on there. There needs to be some simple, usable builtin hexview tool. It should only add a few Kbytes. (And as much as possible, newbies should be able to work through legacy "learn Linux" teaching materials -- again without having to add things to standard Puppy.) (I probably believe that a hexeditor is a core functionality, too, but I have not gotten that far yet. Newbies do need the security of a viewer that is NOT an editor.)