eeZos 0.6 -- Next release

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nutts4life

eeZos 0.6 -- Next release

#1 Post by nutts4life »

All new eeZos 0.6 is released! - http://puppylinux.ca/members/eeZos/

Take a look a the eeZos web site: http://www.eezos.com/
And the new wiki, with roadmap! : http://www.eezos.com/wiki/doku.php?id=road_map

eeZos is designed to make full use of the concept of online cloud computing. The idea is that you can access your data from anywhere in the world and from any PC you choose.

It's tightly integrated with the eyeOS web Operating system allowing you to just take this puplet with you on a USB stick and access your online OS from anywhere.

This OS will be released to the eyeOS community next week. My belief is that a good relationship with a webOS may be important for future of puppy.

There are few design features of eeZos that might get the taste buds buddying.

The eeZos control panel:
This was inspired by the wolvix distro's control panel and is an integration of the puppy wizards, popular puppy utilities and XFCE configuration functions.

2 UI's to choose from:
eeZos allows you to choose whether to use a mini PC like interface (using lxlauncher) or a normal PC interface ( using XFCE desktop and cairo-dock)

eyeOS synchronization:
eyeSync is installed which allows you to synchronise your local files with your remote eyeOS files. The preferences in eyeSync then allow you to directly access your webOS from the menu.

The WebOS:
The default setup of eeZos points to my own installation of eyeOS. You can log in using the username: test pwd: test123.
This is only a high level example of what eyeOS can do.
To get a eyeOS account for FREE and check out the full eyeOS functionality goto: http://eyeos.org/en/

Hotpup xdg
I've modified hotpup so that instaed of putting an icon on the desktop it places an icon into the xdg menu under devices. This allows you to access devices from both user interface modes.

Technical stuff:
- based on puppy 4.1.2
- added 24 sfs fix
- Uses xfdesktop, lxlauncher, xfce-panel and xfce4-session
- pebble 1.0 provides startup screen
- firefox 3.0.5 with adblock, flashblock and menu hide.
- thunar is the chosen file manager
- Mplayer with full codecs and smplayer
- openVPN with gopenvpn interface
- Selection of popular fonts

Local applications:
http://www.eezos.com/index.php?option=c ... =6&Itemid=
eeZos only features a media player and web browser by default as, the idea is that, all other apps are provided online; through eyeOS.
A series of sfs files are provided here to allow you to add a set of integrated local applications:

- Office: abiword and gnumeric + most plugins
- Mail: claws with most plugins
- Image viewer: Gthumb OR fotoxx (with printoxx)
- Chat: Pidgin or Skype 2.0

NOTE: I will be updating this thread with more and more details as time goes by.

Thanks to all the community for your great help with everything...as always.

n4l

Known Issues:
- The puppy event manager seems to stop recognising devices after startup. Please use the pmount utility to mount drives. - Fixed in 0.6
- alsawizard kills all programs including the dock. - Fixed in 0.6
Last edited by nutts4life on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 19:07, edited 5 times in total.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Something wrong here. Just closing down today, perhaps some can check the md5?
As you were - bad d/l.
Interesting. Nice piece of work. However, the clouds are not for me. There is a hidden agenda with this notion, just beginning to appear. Think M$, think America, think crooked businesses! They want you to sign up for a direct debit. Once you do so, you're hooked. There is no need for this with Linux. Discs and SSS are getting bigger and more reliable. It is incumbent upon users to maintain their valuables, not stick them in the nearest skip when they stop working. There are sharks circling out there all the time and it's your dosh they're after. Get clued up, get smart and get your head outa da clouds....

nutts4life

#3 Post by nutts4life »

Sage,

Thanks for your positive comments. I agree with you with cloud computing and that's why i like eyeos.

eyeos is open source, meaning you can install it yourself on your own hosting account. That means it's you data just sitting on your space... but it's online. OK... it's not true cloud computing, but it gives you all the benefits of being able to access you data from anywhere, under your control.

Thanks again,

n4l

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Well, yes, but...
....unless you own the servers, you're still open to exploitation. Notwithstanding, we are all vulnerable vis-a-vis our ISP, but if they're storing our preferred OS configs and apps, too, it won't be long before those extra charges begin appearing on our bills. Either that, or we'll be paying for the privilege by having aspects of our preferences being sold, along the lines of those nasty little small print phrases with which we are all too familiar.

growler

Hosted on a Puppy server

#5 Post by growler »

Well, yes, but...
....unless you own the servers, you're still open to exploitation.
So you install eyeOS on a puppy Hiawatha/PHP server... eyeOS is OS (open source). You own/control access to your own server - no problem.

This is collaboration software for running a business/organisation to share files/appointments/meetings manage files and email etc. all within a web-browser. The promise of web based computing fulfilled!

Or put another way, Windows 2003 Server/Citrix/MS Office/Outlook by another name - without the complexity, hardware requirements and cost. A MUCH more elegant solution if it has the functionality.

It basically puts the office network online - nice one!!

It is easy to cast out all collaboration software initiatives as opportunities for big brother to keep an eye on us. In this case I think this looks like a glorious concept that should put fear into the traditional software establishment as it has the potential to tip it on its head.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

It has been feasible to run your own server for some while. All you need is a bank or two of scsi RAID drives and an old box! However, the complexity and cost is beyond most SOHOs; large corporations make their own arrangements. Apart from which, I don't believe our friend nuttie and his colleagues are either going to make the (common!) mistake of believing there's a business opportunity here or be able to spread himself/themselves widely enough.

This thread truncated by common consent and discussion kindly expanded by n4l here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 103#264103
Last edited by Sage on Thu 08 Jan 2009, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

nutts4life

#7 Post by nutts4life »

First of all, i'm happy to keep this discussion going, but let's keep this from this puplet thread, it is the wrong place for it.

I have created this thread to continue this discussion:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 068#264068

nutts4life

#8 Post by nutts4life »

I received this question from a user, i want to post it as it has alot of interesting points.

hello !

i've just tested your new eezos on eeepc
looks very nice ( i prefer lxlauncher more Very Happy )
is it possible to suggest something ?

i've noticed that you have MS fonts in iso. I always install them into my pupsave2fs, but i think they are not free to be included on CD( just for downloading)
also i think it would be nice to have composite effects for xfwm4( it's very simple to do, see here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=30) if used with cairo-dock
and i would like to add some more plugins to xfce4-panel, but standard xfce-control center does not allow to do it although there many applets as i noticed
i i found some config files in /etc/xdg for panel and desktop

is it posiible to add other entries to lxlauncher?

it the first time i used smplayer
do you have a pet for it( i would like to use it in normal puppy also)
is it static or dynamic linked to qt4?

thank you for such a nice pupplet

nutts4life

#9 Post by nutts4life »

Here some answers:
i've noticed that you have MS fonts in iso. I always install them into my pupsave2fs, but i think they are not free to be included on CD( just for downloading)
You're right, i was hoping nobody would notice... I'll remove them for next time
also i think it would be nice to have composite effects for xfwm4( it's very simple to do, see here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=30) if used with cairo-dock
If you look at that thread i was the one who requested that composition was put into XFCE! Of course it's in there!
Just go to xorg.conf and uncomment the composition lines i have put in there.

BUT!!!! The cairo-dock i have installed i compiled myself against the XFCE compositions. There seems to be something wrong with the XFCE 4.4.2 pet which means composition can't be picked up by cairo-dock. I have been speaking to wow and the cairo-dock guys about this and it's work in progress! :D
and i would like to add some more plugins to xfce4-panel, but standard xfce-control center does not allow to do it although there many applets as i noticed
i i found some config files in /etc/xdg for panel and desktop
Good point, i forgot to do this bit. Basically there is a whole nother side of eeZos i haven't mentioned. If you boot it up again. press: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+s
You will see that the 'Setup' part of the menu is removed both on lxlauncher and on the xdg menu on cairo-dock. The idea of this is that puplet is now in 'Easy Mode' for non techies.
I forgot to remove the XFCE kiosk mode to this.

Basically if you look at /usr/etc/xdg/xfce/kiosk/ you will find kioskrc. If you want to edit the menu just rename the file:

Code: Select all

mv kioskrc kioskrc.orig
Do this for /etc/xdg/kiosk/kioskrc as well.

Now logout, type xwin and you will see that the panel is editable again.
is it posiible to add other entries to lxlauncher?
yes but you will have to modify your .desktop file in the folder /usr/share/applications
Both the utilities and the local apps menu pick up .desktop files automatically.
Go to this directory and open a .desktop file that starts with default......desktop

So:

Code: Select all

mousepad defaultbrowser.desktop
you will see at the bottom of the file is the catagory and it's set to something like eezosLocalApps. There is also eeZosUtilies as well.
And .desktop file in this catagory will appear on both the lxlauncher and the cairo-dock menu.
it the first time i used smplayer
do you have a pet for it( i would like to use it in normal puppy also)
is it static or dynamic linked to qt4?
I plan to put a whole load of pets on the forums next week. The smplayer i have is dynamically linked to qt4.

Good questions,

n4l
Thanks

nutts4life

#10 Post by nutts4life »

eeZos 0.6 is now released.

It removes the cairo-dock, fixes a few issues and simplifies the whole experience further.

Enjoy!

PS. I'm away from a PC next week. I'll be back on the forums after that.

eztuxer

#11 Post by eztuxer »

nutts4life wrote:eeZos 0.6 is now released.
I'll dwnld it, and give it an AAO bench test run.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

thane

#12 Post by thane »

Hi, this is my first post.

In the last week I've downloaded both Puppy Linux 4.1.2 and the eeZos_0_6 puplet. The box I'm using has a read-only CD drive and an old version of Windows on the hard drive, so I'm booting off the CD and using a USB flash memory stick for the system save. I mostly do web surfing so this is working out fine.

The 4.1.2 runs totally in RAM which is what I want. However when I tried running eeZos it didn't (as far as I can recall) give me the option of copying any system files to the USB stick or to RAM. So it's constantly going back to the CD for those files. It does write the save file to the USB stick so it knows the stick is there.

Did I miss something at some point in the installation? I'd appreciate any help you can give me, even if it's calling me an idiot and pointing me to a different forum. Thanks.

thane

#13 Post by thane »

OK, I copied over the 412 system file manually to the USB stick, so it's not hitting the CD ROM drive after booting now.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Puppy should be in the clouds too
make use of this too (it will be used by Tiny Core Linux too I believe)
http://pupweb.org/desktop/

Imagine a browser (probably Chrome) in firmware
and Google ad sponsored cloud services
It is coming

We will move into the cloud
Whoever controls the cloud - will have the reins (so to speak)

I agree with Sage short term but long term
the idea of a personal desktop computer will seem archaic

The Cloud is the start of the Grid
the Grid is the start of Quantum computing
then we will have AI/human hybrids

Whatever next?
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ?artc_pg=1
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

thane

#15 Post by thane »

I'm fooling around with both eeZos and 4.2 (mainly just running the browser to Google) to see how well a sort of pseudo-cloud computing really suits me. So far I think the more open Google (or whoever) model may be better than the Eye OS virtual desktop idea, but I plan to keep working with both for a while. Of course 4.2 has a lot of desktop apps and (confession) I have another PC running Windows, so even if the Cloud doesn't work out it's not a disaster.

nutts4life

#16 Post by nutts4life »

thane,

Thanks for trying out eeZos. If you had the pup_save file on your usb stick. eeZos would have recognised it automatically during startup and used it.

This is not great practice as it will have old puppy 412 configuration in there.

If you like to use both puppy 412 and eezos (based on 412), then i would recommend using two different usb sticks.

If you like eeZos and don't want to use puppy 412, then just remove the old pup_save from your usb and reload eezos from CD. When you exit it will ask where you want the save file saved to.

Thanks,

n4l

nutts4life

#17 Post by nutts4life »

Lobster,

Thanks for your comments.
My feelings are split with this.

I still believe people like feeling ownership of something and they also want to see all their belongings in one easy to manage place.

The problem i see with the cloud computing world at the moment is that it is very disjointed.

The likes of zoho only does office and you store your office files on a zoho server.

You use picnik to modify your images and keep them on their server.

amazon S3 comes along and says: 'look, store all your files here'. But then there is no connectivity between picnik and zoho.

I don't see eyeos as an OS. Personally i don't think it should keep developing tool like word processors and email systems as someone will always do it better.

What i think eyeOs could be good for is that link between all these 'best of breed' online tools.

Bascially it's an environment whihc allows you to see all your files and images and music in one place, then you send them off to your favorite online tool to modify them.

Whether those files and local files, files on a S3 drive or even local to the eyeOs server. The user feels like they have the files at their finger tips.

From what i understand that is were eyeOs are going. And that's why i like it.

puppy web desktop is great, but to me it's a very pretty interface with a lot of links on it.

I'm looking to push forward to see the next stage.

Thanks,

n4l

thane

#18 Post by thane »

Thanks, nutts4life. I guess I wasn't clear; I do have the various Puppies on separate sticks, including 4.2 now (great job by the way).

Current

#19 Post by Current »

I have installed this pupplet on an old iPAQ desktop 733 with 128Mb. My main problem is that I can't get the mini PC interface. It's there, the system says it's loaded (when I try to change it asks if I want to go to PC Mode) but the thing that happens is that loads briefly and then reverts to the default desktop. Any idea what I'm I doing wrong?
Thanks

droope

#20 Post by droope »

Looks real nice ;)