Hosting for the chihuahua

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
J-Bob

Hosting for the chihuahua

#1 Post by J-Bob »

Well.

I'm currently working at fixing the remaining issues with Alpha 5 beofre releasing a Beta 1. Which at that point, I plan to look for drivers and modules to help with netbook support.

But currently I'm looking for where i can host this pup.

As i do have an Account at FusedTree, which i could try to figure out how i could manage a mirror there.

And i do have an account with Eric at puppylinux.asia, but as he told me, it's an account which does not have a huge amount of storage. And if people need an unleashed tree, this could become a HUGE hassle on their part, and on my part.

And i don't have the cash to pay for a hosting site. I have barely enough to buy my lunches.

So if anyone can point me to the direction of a good, free file host for Puppy 3.02CE, than you would be a partial life-saver for this project (not literally, but you would be doing us a huge favor)

Any help would be appreciated. And i might use multiple to make different mirrors for Puppy 3.02, which i could check on, and use my fusedtree as a place to check on different mirrors, and i could tell beside them how good a condition they are in.

- J-Bob

WhoDo

Re: Hosting for the chihuahua

#2 Post by WhoDo »

J-Bob wrote:But currently I'm looking for where i can host this pup.
Try this for ISO hosting- and PM to MU so he can move the iso to a visible directory. Caneri will mirror. Don't bother with uploading an Unleashed. It's a CE version and doesn't require that.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

J-Bob

Re: Hosting for the chihuahua

#3 Post by J-Bob »

WhoDo wrote:
J-Bob wrote:But currently I'm looking for where i can host this pup.
Try this for ISO hosting- and PM to MU so he can move the iso to a visible directory. Caneri will mirror. Don't bother with uploading an Unleashed. It's a CE version and doesn't require that.

Hope that helps.
Thanks WhoDo. Your help is highly appreciated.

Since i would not need an unleashed, i could probably host it on my member account on puppylinux.asia.

- J-Bob

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Sure, I can mirror it, when I get a downloadlink.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Previously known as Guest

#5 Post by Previously known as Guest »

MU wrote:Sure, I can mirror it, when I get a downloadlink.
Mark
Same here, login access to download is same as on MU's server. Spread the load around is a good thing. :)

J-Bob

#6 Post by J-Bob »

Previously known as Guest wrote:
MU wrote:Sure, I can mirror it, when I get a downloadlink.
Mark
Same here, login access to download is same as on MU's server. Spread the load around is a good thing. :)
I think that sounds like a good idea.

Spreading the load might help with bandwidth and would let more people use it.

Thanks for the support MU and Previously known as Guest.

- J-Bob

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

Thanks MU and PKAG,

The .asia account just barely made it through last months bandwidth so I appreciate the help to spread out the files.

The .ca servers are still being run under testing mode to check uptime etc.

@J-Bob,
Your iso and pets to support the iso are fine. Unleashed tree is too big for a small account.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

J-Bob

#8 Post by J-Bob »

Caneri wrote:Thanks MU and PKAG,

The .asia account just barely made it through last months bandwidth so I appreciate the help to spread out the files.

@J-Bob,
Your iso and pets to support the iso are fine. Unleashed tree is too big for a small account.
Good to know, and as WhoDo said,
WhoDo wrote:Don't bother with uploading an Unleashed. It's a CE version and doesn't require that.
So i plan to host an iso and some sfs modules at my account. But i might spread them out among different mirrors.

In fact, If people could email or PM me the details of bandwidth for the server and the conditions, i could maintain a page with various mirrors, and the state which they are in for Puppy 3.02CE

----------------------------------

I should probably also mention that i do not have plans to update the kernel in the Puppy 3.xxCE series, As if someone needed a newer kernel, than they should probably use 4.2 and beyond.

And if anyone does want to make a retooling of this, i might upload some of the packages used for the base, which should hopefully be a small file, which would contain what should be mixed in with the unleashed for Alpha 3 of 3.02.

You could than maintain that if you want under a different branch. Like let's say that tronkel wanted a version with eeePc drivers built in and possibly with a couple other fixes, and maybe even a new kernel.

He could either call his release Puppy Linux 3.02CE-Tronkel or Puppy Linux 3.02TE (Tronkel Edition)

Or he could just make a puplet like some other people do.

And since the iso and modules will likely be under 100MB, i could use free hosts as well. Like possibly box.net, MediaFire, and other services.

I think some of these offer unlimited downloads and time, without worrying about bandwidth limits (except for their ones).

So i'm planning to use some of these for mirroring it when the time comes.

puppylinux.asia
puppyisos.org
box.net

and various other services, and maybe a backup email based one which i would email 20MB parts of the ISO and a .zip with mergers for most operating systems.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

Previously known as Guest :

Seasons Greetings friend.
Long time no see.

Chris.

Evil20071

#10 Post by Evil20071 »

I have that covered already, actually. I have unlimited disk space on a friends dedicated server. ;)
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

bill

#11 Post by bill »

I am not exactly sure what criteria anyone needs in their ideas of "hosting" but here is a free site for a repository if you are so inclined to sign up for free:

http://www.4shared.com/login.jsp?sessionUnavailable=1

I think it will allow 5 G of storage,for free and the only thing the user must do is create traffic on it at least every 30 days.,Otherwise it will go inactive and be sent to the bit bucket.If it would suit your needs,fine business,if not,nothing lost. cheers

J-Bob

#12 Post by J-Bob »

@Evil20071
Thanks for the info. That type server would fit as a primary. And MU's Server + Caneri's servers could be the secondaries.

@bill
Sounds like an idea that might work, if it allows direct donwloads i could build a script that would run in the background checking time, and it would download it after a specific amount of time, to keep it up as a backup, this would be the same thing for other serves like that.

And in current news, I'm getting back to working at 3.02ce, and i have found some critical bugs, but i think i might know how to fix them.

When i fix them i imagine that the system should be ready to enter beta.

- J-Bob

Evil20071

#13 Post by Evil20071 »

I just spoke with the guy with the server. He said as long as our downloads don't kill all his bandwidth (Which he sells to a few clients) then all's fine. I think he's got 4tb bandwidth allocated for his site right now, and they will (or are suppose) to allocate more to him as needed.

Previously known as Guest

#14 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Caneri wrote:Thanks MU and PKAG,

Glad to be able to help when possible. ;) Don't plan on dropping pkagfiles.net as yet.
cthisbear wrote:Previously known as Guest :

Seasons Greetings friend.
Long time no see.

Chris.
Tis true, been much too long, hope to be on forum more nowadays & Seasons Greetings to you & family & all other Pupians! :)

J-Bob

#15 Post by J-Bob »

The current list of what i plan to use for servers is
Evil20071's Friend's Server
puppylinux.asia
puppyisos.org
pkagfiles.net

than i might add some backup servers eventually.

Evil20071

#16 Post by Evil20071 »

links kinda long... but... http://www.leprichaunproductions.com/evil20071 would be my little slice of server space. I cleaned it up some today.

J-Bob

#17 Post by J-Bob »

Evil20071 wrote:links kinda long... but... http://www.leprichaunproductions.com/evil20071 would be my little slice of server space. I cleaned it up some today.
that's good.

and you might like to take a look at the puppy 3.02ce goes beta thread. that's the equal of a development thread.