Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 03:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 21 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 07:27    Post_subject:  Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

I have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought. Although I am very happy with its current state, it is still an alpha so some diligent testing and bug chasing is in order.

Known issues:

1. I didn't include the mods to JWM to allow users to quickly switch into Icewm, although the alternative window manager is installed along with a couple of nice themes. Use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and type
Code:
xwin icewm-session

2. I'm pretty sure I accidently left Xchat out of the mix. That will be fixed in the next release

3. Zigberts update to Pburn-2.1.1 was just a fraction too late to make the alpha. That too will be added to the next release.

4. I haven't been provided with any fixes for the ongoing printing problems using CUPS, and I haven't been able to resolve it myself in testing.

On the positive side, we have the latest versions of xdg (0.7.6-5), PETget (420), Pmusic (0.5.3), Pfilesearch (1.11), Pfind (4.6), Pmetatagger (2.1), Puppybasic (2.6), Pwidgets (0.4), Pwireless (0.8.3), Roxrightclicks (0.8.1), Xpad (2.14) and some interesting game choices (Seahaven, Xfreecell, Xmahjongg, Flashchess, Xcheckers - Jester may come later, as will the overlooked Xchat). Xarchiver proved a tad buggy in testing so it was left out of the alpha to give it time for further testing and improvement. Browser hasn't yet been updated as development is still ongoing.

I'm pleased to say that, after missing the Christmas deadline through circumstances beyond my control, I have delivered the first alpha release a full week ahead of my own revised projection.

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

My thanks to MU, PkaG and Caneri for the mirrors

Thanks to all the devs who have offered their support and work, especially Zigbert, ttuuxxx, Pizzasgood and Hairywill.

BTW, if you don't see this boot screen on first boot then you've got the wrong download! Razz

Enjoy!

Edited_time_total
HairyWill

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 08:42    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

WhoDo wrote:
I have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought.
Where?
Am I being thick

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 09:18    Post_subject:  

I'm about the same thickness Laughing
eightbitz

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 09:39    Post_subject:  

Where's the download? Sad
Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 10:33    Post_subject:  

I just sent Warren his new ftp account

Eric

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 10:57    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Where?

Use the force . . . and Deep Thought . . . location being sent telepathically . . .

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 13:05    Post_subject:  

I would say WhoDO is gone to sleep. Its 4am NSW, oz time. So probably another 5hrs to wait, LOL
Oh well puppy wasn't built overnight, or was that Rome?
ttuuxxx

Ps I check the 2 puppy.ca servers for 4.2 and nothing

Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 13:14    Post_subject:  

I wonder if this should go into a CE directory?

If I can get a direct link I'll put it on the new .ca...it should be fast

Eric

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 13:23    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
I wonder if this should go into a CE directory?

If I can get a direct link I'll put it on the new .ca...it should be fast

Eric

I was thinking maybe the test directory since its an alpha?
Its up to you, your the main man when it comes to those things Wink
ttuuxxx

Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 14:19    Post_subject:  

Knock knock Warren...time to get up...yawn.

There are a bunch of eager beavers waiting to get a look at your new iso...lol

Eric

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 17:19    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

HairyWill wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
I have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought.
Where?
Am I being thick

Caneri wrote:
Knock knock Warren...time to get up...yawn.

Nope. I was just sleeping Rolling Eyes while the mirrors were being updated. Original post has now been updated with mirrors and a few other bits 'n pieces.

Enjoy!

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 18:48    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

WhoDo wrote:
I have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought. Although I am very happy with its current state, it is still an alpha so some diligent testing and bug chasing is in order.

Known issues:. Xarchiver proved a tad buggy in testing so it was left out of the alpha to give it time for further testing and improvement. <---Buggy Thats what alpha's are about, fixing bugs, if you don't include them, Then they don't get fixed, I've used Xarchiver hundreds of times and the only bug I've seen is when you accidently click the right panel it closes, when all you need to do is click the left panel for all functions, It could of been installed along with Xarchive, it was small enough, plus it opened all the extra formats that Xarchive has no clue. Well I'll work on it and see whats up.

Thanks to all the devs who have offered their support and work, especially Zigbert, ttuuxxx, Pizzasgood and Hairywill. <---- Liked it better when my name was first, LOL

Why didn't you use the JWM2IceWm switch? Once again its a Alpha and I'm not a coder, (Wouldn't mind learning Wink )But If you would of left it in, It might of 'BUGGED' others and maybe gotten fixed if something was wrong with it, but if you don't include applications they don't get fixed and plus it removes a learning experience for myself and other to enjoy, when one of the more skilled programmers fix the issue, if there is one.

Oh well, Downloading it not, Thanks WhoDo for all your hard work also.
ttuuxxx

Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 19:03    Post_subject:  

To all the guys in OZ,

Well I'm freezing here in Canada on the Great Lakes....and that's just not fair..lol

Maybe the cold slows down the brain...grrr.

There is another .ca link in Florida http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/ that has a good md5sum..thanks Warren!!

Eric

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 19:08    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

ttuuxxx wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought. Although I am very happy with its current state, it is still an alpha so some diligent testing and bug chasing is in order.

Known issues:. Xarchiver proved a tad buggy in testing so it was left out of the alpha to give it time for further testing and improvement.
<---Buggy Thats what alpha's are about, fixing bugs, if you don't include them, Then they don't get fixed, I've used Xarchiver hundreds of times and the only bug I've seen is when you accidently click the right panel it closes, when all you need to do is click the left panel for all functions, It could of been installed along with Xarchive, it was small enough, plus it opened all the extra formats that Xarchive has no clue. Well I'll work on it and see whats up.

Update:
Running Xarchiver from a CLI allows the icon bar to be used without a crash UNTIL you open an archive file. Then clicking any icon on the icon bar gives a segmentation fault.

ttuuxxx wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
Thanks to all the devs who have offered their support and work, especially Zigbert, ttuuxxx, Pizzasgood and Hairywill.
<---- Liked it better when my name was first, LOL

Of course you did! Laughing

ttuuxxx wrote:
Why didn't you use the JWM2IceWm switch? Once again its a Alpha and I'm not a coder, (Wouldn't mind learning Wink )But If you would of left it in, It might of 'BUGGED' others and maybe gotten fixed if something was wrong with it, but if you don't include applications they don't get fixed and plus it removes a learning experience for myself and other to enjoy, when one of the more skilled programmers fix the issue, if there is one.

ttuuxxx

I managed to trash most of this post by trying to quote it when I authored it! Shocked Where's the "idiot" smiley at? Anyway, I've reconstructed most of it thanks to J-Bob's copious quote. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm trying to rewrite history or anything! Razz

Edited_times_total
J-Bob

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2009, 21:57    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes  

ttuuxxx wrote:
WhoDo wrote:

Known issues:. Xarchiver proved a tad buggy in testing so it was left out of the alpha to give it time for further testing and improvement. <---Buggy Thats what alpha's are about, fixing bugs, if you don't include them, Then they don't get fixed, I've used Xarchiver hundreds of times and the only bug I've seen is when you accidently click the right panel it closes, when all you need to do is click the left panel for all functions, It could of been installed along with Xarchive, it was small enough, plus it opened all the extra formats that Xarchive has no clue. Well I'll work on it and see whats up.

Thanks to all the devs who have offered their support and work, especially Zigbert, ttuuxxx, Pizzasgood and Hairywill. <---- Liked it better when my name was first, LOL

ttuuxxx

Learning to program is never a bad thing. And I know tcl and tk. But sadly i cannot grasp how to use gtk.

But i'm very excited about being able to try 4.2 for the first tine.
I'll do some tests, and possibly bugfixes.

- J-Bob
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 21 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum