I Say ISO I say

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lobster
Official Crustacean

I Say ISO I say

#1 Post by Lobster »

8)

Thought I might have a look at DSL for ideas to improve Puppy - also as it is small distro, good to have a go at burning from Puppy (up to now have used the excellent Windows based BurnCDCC)

Now Gcombust is not quite working without all sorts of jiggery pokery that is beyond my whiskers . . .

So I thought it might be an idea to have

CDRECORD as an alternative ISO burner using the -data
switch

I did use a command line burner once (to burn a copy of Blag Linux)
but can not work out if or how this would work?

Does anyone have a script to use?
or any clues?

PS. Do not worry I will not be swayed by the Dark Side of the Force (whether Damn Small LInux or the "Redmond Gadgets for Bill Fund")
DSL is doing well - it has a way of saving and and loading config from the web that I wish to study and they have a link to Puppy - so really they are Penguinated buddies . .

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I do a lot of cd-burning from DOS very successfully. If anyone wants the files and scripts let me know and I'll put something together.

I couldn't find any cdrecord help in Puppy. I did however find a page you might find interesting.

http://www.nber.org/cdrecord.html

It says you need lilo - but I don't thing that is 100% true.

It wants this switch at boot time:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

I'd think grub could handle that.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

You could try Xcdroast, available as a PupGet package.
...very sophisticated.

Puppy 1.0.3 will be back on a 2.4 kernel!
...so, Gcombust will be easier to use.

Also, as 1.0.3 will have the full Bash, we can use some of the console/dialog frontends that are available for cdrecord.
...I never used them before as Ash wasn't up to it.

1.0.3 out by end of week, hopefully.

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

BarryK wrote:You could try Xcdroast, available as a PupGet package.
...very sophisticated.
Ok, saw this post and installed Xcdroast on 1.0.1. After upgrading it to support DVD, I played a bit with it. Drove me crazy with warnings to enable scsi emulation. However interesting, it could see the dvd I inserted with dvd burner recognized as ATAPI, but couldnt read the dvd when I used Puppy script to enable scsi emulation. I probably just didnt reset something correctly, but still.

This partition I have Puppy on now isnt big enough to temporarily store contents of a dvd, so couldnt try burning it under ATAPI. If I think of something even minutely useful to burn to cd, might try and see how it handles that under ATAPI. If that works good then fine, Xcdroast is worth the effort despite all the popup warnings. If I still have to do the scsi emulation reboot dance before using burner then its no improvement over GCOMBURST.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

One Day . . .

#5 Post by Lobster »

DSL released version 1.2 today and it is nice (I prefer Austrumi) and prefer Puppy over both of them . . .

However:

Most of the flux themes are darkly gothic but there was at least one bright one. I have been playing around with Flux in Puppy so I quite like flux by now. We have Rox file manager and it is better than the DSL offering which we have as a Pupget I believe.

DSL seems to score over us in two ways.

One you can install Debian on your hard disk from DSL. That is cool. The installable package list is good.

It potentially works with older hardware than puppy.

The WP looks awful (but has a spell checker). 1.2 seemed a lot more stable than earlier DSL versions. It was easy to up my resolution.

Well done to the Penguins at Damn Small Linux - Damn Good show - what! 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 09 Jun 2005, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Well, Xcdroast will be happy with Pup 1.0.3!