Minnesota

#281 Post by Minnesota »

Attached pic....sorry still no go on Cups with Java enabled....GREG :( :(
Attachments
NO Add Cups 1.png
(165.04 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times

techtype

#282 Post by techtype »

I notice that your screenshot has two copies of Seamonkey running. Did you make sure all copies were shut down after enabling java?

Minnesota

#283 Post by Minnesota »

:(

Booted 4.2 Alpha
Enabled Jave in Seamonkey
Closed Seamonkey
Ran Pet from stick
Restarted x
Ran Manage Printers from System Menu
Selected Administration Tab
Clicked Add printer button
....normal warning...
SCREEN THE SAME....

Pressed CONTINUE.
Goes back to DONE...see oic on last post

If you click fast several times.. it reads in the Lower Left infor bar...
"....w...something for local host.. Waiting?"

So same results.

ttuuxxx

#284 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDOOOOOOOO , I Got the Goods !!!!!!!!
Here's your Seamonkey+Composer+Firefox Theme+MonkeyMenu +my 5 search engines 8.6MB pet, already setup and working
Make sure you don't have any previous seamonkey's installed
usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.11
/root/.mozilla/ <--- delete everything in that folder, keep only the firefox folder if there is one, Thats if you have firefox installed.
ttuuxxx

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... ilnews.pet
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#285 Post by ttuuxxx »

Minnesota wrote::(

Booted 4.2 Alpha
Enabled Jave in Seamonkey
Closed Seamonkey
Ran Pet from stick
Restarted x
Ran Manage Printers from System Menu
Selected Administration Tab
Clicked Add printer button
....normal warning...
SCREEN THE SAME....

Pressed CONTINUE.
Goes back to DONE...see oic on last post

If you click fast several times.. it reads in the Lower Left infor bar...
"....w...something for local host.. Waiting?"

So same results.

Hi I got it going again :)
the reason why it isn't working as soon as you install it is, that the original version is still running and you have to first kill cups. I used Pprocess to kill it, then you go to
/etc/init.d/cups
right click anywhere in white space and select /window/Terminal Here
then type
./cups restart
then it should give you a response 'cups: restarted scheduler.'
then tr it :) via the menu
So if this version was default it would of been started first up and would of worked out of the box.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#286 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Here's your Seamonkey+Composer+Firefox Theme+MonkeyMenu +my 5 search engines 8.6MB pet, already setup and working
WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
It's going in the next release because I've already debugged Alpha2 with Firepup/Sylpheed ready for upload. If people want to add it for testing, that should be ok because Alpha2 doesn't have Seamonkey by default.

Great news about including MonkeyMenu and Seafox theme in the package, too! If anyone also wants to add nifty icons to their drop down menus, you can get CuteMenus as an add-on from the Seamonkey home page.

Thanks for all the hard work and burnt midnight oil, ttuuxxx! (Is that a Peter Garrett joke? :P )
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ttuuxxx

#287 Post by ttuuxxx »

Your welcome WhoDo :) Glad its done and over with :):):)
It also plays fullscreen on youtube, And like I stated before it doesn't crash when the insert is press and Print Screen works. For once I'm actually starting to like SeaMonkey. If you have any room left over Flashblock would be a really great addon to include.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#288 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Glad its done and over with :):):)
Well, now, I wouldn't say THAT! :lol: If we are going to include Seamonkey there will be a whole bunch of people who will also expect Seamonkey mail, since that's where their messages are currently stored. I'm willing to bet they will want to drop Sylpheed for Seamonkey with Mail/News support.

As a matter of interest, your 1.1.14 is 30Mb expanded - 6Mb less than Barry's 1.1.11-1 version that included Mail/News. I wonder if the Mail/News component would bring your version up above that?

Again for interest's sake, Sylpheed-2.6.0 expanded is only a little over 1Mb. I'll have to check and see what is missing to save so much space (negative viewpoint, I know, but it's informed by experience).
ttuuxxx wrote:It also plays fullscreen on youtube, And like I stated before it doesn't crash when the insert is press and Print Screen works. For once I'm actually starting to like SeaMonkey. If you have any room left over Flashblock would be a really great addon to include.
Ah, yes! That already makes Seamonkey-1.1.14 in Puppy-4.2 a much improved version. I was going to ask about Flashblock and Adblock add-ons. And maybe CuteMenus. Maybe we can be a showcase for what Seamonkey can do with a little bit of tweaking, eh? :wink: I'm especially glad you got your seach engine's to work like Firepup. That's a "must have" feature IMHO.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

pa_mcclamrock

#289 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:I've already debugged Alpha2 with Firepup/Sylpheed ready for upload.
Yes? Yes? Where is this "Alpha2" of which you speak? :D
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#290 Post by 01micko »

pa_mcclamrock wrote: Yes? Yes? Where is this "Alpha2" of which you speak? :D
Is this the same bloke who said just just a week or so ago
I'm pretty eager to try out 4.2, but not so eager that I won't wait for the next alpha release, in which the reported IceWM bugs will surely have been fixed. Very Happy
and, just yesterday
Oh, don't do that. Maybe you're trying to make too many changes for one release. As to the things that don't work, can you go back to the corresponding things that did work in Puppy 4.1x for the second alpha, and save the remaining innovations at least for the third alpha?
?

Eagerness getting the better of you Pa? :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ttuuxxx

#291 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote: Firepup. That's a "must have" feature IMHO.
Hey WhoDo

When it comes to mail and Semonkey, It will push the size to around 2-2.5MB compressed, Thats why I left it out since Sylpheed was around 0.5MB give or take compressed and you were running out of space, would it really be worth 2MB extra compress, just to say that we are using a more popular but uglier email client, I could include about 15 different programs to puppy in that amount of space, Or 50 IceWM themes :wink: kidding, I still think Xarchiver should be included even if not default, sure it crashes if you click the right screen, but you don't need to click that side of screen for any reason, you just click left side and then click the extract button and it works perfect every time, I'm wondering if that crashing thing is gtk2 related like the Seamonkey crashes, and the Seamonkey compiling problems. Hmmm.

If We have any Bored developers, Xarchiver is calling you:) We really could use a stable version, Since it was just so handy to use with all this Seamonkey, FireFox, IceCat Compiling that went on, If I would of used Xarchive it would of taken a min of 4HR just to extract the sources once, where Xarchiver was like 2 mins each. Plus then all the configuring I did with the Seamonkey jar,xpi, which Xarchive couldn't even open those formats out of the box, usually you have to rename them.

ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#292 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
WhoDo wrote:I've already debugged Alpha2 with Firepup/Sylpheed ready for upload.
Yes? Yes? Where is this "Alpha2" of which you speak? :D
Uploading to our mirrors as you speak! :wink:

WhoDo

#293 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:When it comes to mail and Semonkey, It will push the size to around 2-2.5MB compressed, Thats why I left it out since Sylpheed was around 0.5MB give or take compressed and you were running out of space, would it really be worth 2MB extra compress, just to say that we are using a more popular but uglier email client, I could include about 15 different programs to puppy in that amount of space, Or 50 IceWM themes :wink:
Your point is not lost on me, ttuuxxx. Zigbert could probably find 100 uses for the extra room, too! We'll see what the reaction is after Alpha2 hits the shelves tonight. Sylpheed is certainly much more economical. Like many, I don't know it at all, so I'm going to take the opportunity to play with it while you guys debug Alpha2.
ttuuxxx wrote:I still think Xarchiver should be included even if not default, sure it crashes if you click the right screen, but you don't need to click that side of screen for any reason, you just click left side and then click the extract button and it works perfect every time, I'm wondering if that crashing thing is gtk2 related like the Seamonkey crashes, and the Seamonkey compiling problems. Hmmm.
It's in Alpha2, Jeff. A promise is a promise where I come from! :wink: It seems useful, just buggy. We'll see how the users react.
ttuuxxx wrote:If We have any Bored developers, Xarchiver is calling you:) We really could use a stable version, Since it was just so handy to use with all this Seamonkey, FireFox, IceCat Compiling that went on, If I would of used Xarchive it would of taken a min of 4HR just to extract the sources once, where Xarchiver was like 2 mins each. Plus then all the configuring I did with the Seamonkey jar,xpi, which Xarchive couldn't even open those formats out of the box, usually you have to rename them.
It's in ... it's in! :P They'll get their chance to find the bugs in that app and it's not so mainstream as to bother the average user one way or the other. Most will never know it's there. I could put Xarchive back alongside for the next release, if it becomes a problem.

WhoDo

#294 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote: Yes? Yes? Where is this "Alpha2" of which you speak? :D
Is this the same bloke who said just just a week or so ago
I'm pretty eager to try out 4.2, but not so eager that I won't wait for the next alpha release, in which the reported IceWM bugs will surely have been fixed. Very Happy
Eagerness getting the better of you Pa? :lol:
Just another victim of the "fertile ground" marketing ploy: announce a product well ahead of schedule, saturate the marketplace with hype about its arrival and hold off delivering until the saliva is literally dripping from their lips! :P Bill taught me that one! :wink: The difference is I haven't yet stooped to calling the included bugs "features" - well not seriously anyway! :roll:

Minnesota

#295 Post by Minnesota »

:D :(

Half on the printing... first managed to get to the password screen.. :D put in puppy instead of root and it looked at me.... got past that...

Added printer.... it found the canon ip4300 no problem....

Seems no ppd available... tried generic postscript, said it did something, but no print. Tried changing to OTHER manufactures.... option seems to not work.

Added new printer, with new name to distinguish, used HP options, no go...

So guess next step is trying to find correct ppd, back in other operating system and searched for ppd on the net..... did not find what I need.

Next would be to figure out where to place it... or will it find it at any location? Such as the memory stick?

Conclusion:

1) I think with the correct ppd it might work....
2) Procedures are not as easy to use as old routines!!!
3) Total newbie will be confused I think?

I am on the road, at home I have a brother printer and ppd might be included?

Moving forward :)

P.S. Can I pull the PPD file from files on the alpha CD? Or an older version?

Ray MK

#296 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

So true -
been following this with much interest - just got a new EeePc 701SD with
Wdoze ('cos it was cheap in the sale) thats just begging to try the next alpha and all
its goodies and fixes etc.

Looking forward to downloading later.

Once again - so many thanks to all involved with this CE in the making - all the effort is
much appreciated and when the final is released, the world will definitely be a better place.

Best regards to all - Ray

01micko

#297 Post by 01micko »

Minnesota wrote::D :(

Half on the printing... first managed to get to the password screen.. :D put in puppy instead of root and it looked at me.... got past that...

Added printer.... it found the canon ip4300 no problem....

Seems no ppd available... tried generic postscript, said it did something, but no print. Tried changing to OTHER manufactures.... option seems to not work.

Added new printer, with new name to distinguish, used HP options, no go...

So guess next step is trying to find correct ppd, back in other operating system and searched for ppd on the net..... did not find what I need.

Next would be to figure out where to place it... or will it find it at any location? Such as the memory stick?

Conclusion:

1) I think with the correct ppd it might work....
2) Procedures are not as easy to use as old routines!!!
3) Total newbie will be confused I think?

I am on the road, at home I have a brother printer and ppd might be included?

Moving forward :)

P.S. Can I pull the PPD file from files on the alpha CD? Or an older version?
The ppd is specific to your printer model. I have a canon mp180, I couldn't find my ppd anywhere but the printer is supported by 'Gutenprint'. It is available in the Puppy repository.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

veronicathecow

#298 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, if it's any help I've got my IP4300 running on Opensuse 11.1 with the following

Description: Canonip4300
Printer Driver: Canon PIXMA iP4300 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://Canon/iP4300

capoverde

mhWaveEdit's mixer call.

#299 Post by capoverde »

WhoDo wrote:
capoverde wrote:Similarly in MhWaveEdit ... ... the "Launch mixer" tab doesn't work as it's linked to an inexistent Xmixer (linking it by hand to SGmixer it works);
If you can give me specific file locations and edits required I'll update the build tree.
If I got it right, mhWaveEdit starts with its own settings and then stores any changes in /root/.mhwaveedit/config, which doesn't exist on the first run.

I tried making a /root/.mhwaveedit/config text file with just this line:

mixerUtility = sgmixer

before starting mhWaveEdit in a "virgin" session (pfix=ram), and in fact sGmixer was then correctly called by the mixer button at the far right in mhWaveEdit's task bar as well as by the "Launch mixer" tab in the recording monitor window. The other option seemingly is to compile all over again after changing "xmixer" to "sgmixer" in the source... Any volunteer?
Last edited by capoverde on Fri 30 Jan 2009, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Minnesota

#300 Post by Minnesota »

Micko : or anyone

Help....

I looked for a very long time on the web and finally found gutenprint-5.0.0.tar.gz at ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ackages-1/

OK...understand this is a compressed file...

Tried to unzip in alpha CD boot... I am a newbie with Linux... I do not understand where things go or how all of this works specifically. I am possibly 30-40% up the learning curve.... I can wiz with other computer languages and systems... but do not have experience to understand where to find things or where to put things in Puppy.

1) So please, I need to know where to Unzip those drivers, more specific instructions please. 2) Will they then show in the pull down menu of cusp or can I access them from the browse that looks for the ppd?

Will be happy to continue testing with some help please.

As mentioned the current driver system on the raw CD works... so it possible to simply move those drivers over to the cusp directory or library?

Greg