Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 19:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes
Page 1 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 15:25    Post subject:  Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes  

I have just uploaded the third and final alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought, this time with Seamonkey and Claws mail. I am very happy with its progress, but there are still bugs to be chased and the remaining bugs are the most recalcitrant ones.

Known issues:

1. JWM theme switcher - Hairywill's fix for the disappearing taskbar when changing themes now works BUT attempting to synchronise JWM with the Gtk theme blanks the taskbar.
3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the new clock fix and the updated func script don't appear to be working properly. You have to click on the clock to get it to appear. I may have implemented trio's fix incorrectly - please check.
4. I have included the latest CUPS but it produces a 404 error when attempting to load the manager on my test machine.
5. The desktop icon themes are still a hotch-potch of mis-named icons, some of which swap out and some of which don't. I've reduced the offering to only 2 themes - Deepthought and Stardust - until we can get someone to sync the icon names properly. I haven't had time.
6. Pweather font encroaches on weather text in night-time characters. Sigmund announced that as fixed in his thread but I haven't seen the fix uploaded as yet.
7. grub-gfxboot is installed but not configured. I'd be interested to hear whether it works or not when run from the grub install script on the menu.
8. The slideshow version of gpicview now works as Hairywill designed it to do and it is so small it will never be replaced! Razz
9. Flash chess was also dropped completely, despite a magnificent reduction in size by ttuuxxx. It turned out to be proprietary. It has been replaced with ACE-solitaire also courtesy of ttuuxxx.

On the positive side, I have rolled xdg 0.7.6-5 back in without any apparent ill-effects.New applications include PETget (420), Pmusic (0.5.3), Pfilesearch (1.11), Pfind (4.6), Pmetatagger (2.1), Puppybasic (2.6), Pwidgets (0.4), Pwireless (0.8.4), Roxrightclicks (0.8.2), Xpad (2.14), Seamonkey (1.1.14 no mail/news), Claws mail Xarchiver-0.5.2, grub-gfxboot-0.9.7, MU's patched Gxine-0.5.903, newman-1.0 (man pages viewer) and some interesting game choices (Seahaven, TkHearts, TkYahtzee, Xfreecell, Jester, Xcheckers and Xsoldier-1.4) Xarchiver has been stabilised in testing so now is the time to see if we can break it. Xarchive is in because I didn't have time to alter all of the dependent scripts. I think ttuuxxx has done that so the mods will be in the next release and Xarchive will be out.

Coolpup has also submitted an updated version of ntfs-3g that is included but it reports a missing dependency - please test heavily on a SPARE Windows installation or risk damage.

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

If the mirrors don't show the Alpha3 it's probably because the admins haven't had time to move the files to the download area ... try again later.

This release is just under 100Mb, so there is still some paring down to be done, too. As before, if you don't see this boot screen on first boot then you've got the wrong download! Razz

Enjoy!

Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 15:49    Post subject:  

Whodo's new alpha3 is ready here

http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/puppy-4.2alpha3-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso
http://puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/puppy-4.2alpha3-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.md5.txt

md5sum is correct

Eric

Tom Raft

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 16:16    Post subject: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes
Subject description: false pup_420.sfs

I downloaded the alpha3 two times. After install it seems it is alpha 2. Browser is firepup not seamonkey.
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 16:19    Post subject:  

solved with Tom Raft's problem..it was just a mistake.
Eric

Last edited by Caneri on Mon 02 Feb 2009, 17:45; edited 1 time in total
Tom Raft

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 16:47    Post subject: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

To be correct.
I downloaded the iso from http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 16:52    Post subject: Re: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes  

WhoDo wrote:
I have just uploaded the third and final alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought, this time with Seamonkey and Claws mail. I am very happy with its progress, but there are still bugs to be chased and the remaining bugs are the most recalcitrant ones.

Known issues:
3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the new clock fix and the updated func script don't appear to be working properly. You have to click on the clock to get it to appear. I may have implemented trio's fix incorrectly - please check.
6. Pweather font encroaches on weather text in night-time characters. Sigmund announced that as fixed in his thread but I haven't seen the fix uploaded as yet.

Enjoy!

Yeah, Sigmund I believe is working on the next Pwidgets release, He seems quite happy with our efforts.

Cheers

(downloading now Smile )

HairyWill

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 17:26    Post subject: Re: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

Tom Raft wrote:
To be correct.
I downloaded the iso from http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
I got the right version from there about 90 minutes ago
Tom Raft

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 18:04    Post subject:
Subject description: Seems to be my mistake.

After third download all seems fine. Probably my mistake with frugal install. Sorry for the inconvenience and wasting your time.

Tom
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 18:23    Post subject:  

Not to worry Tom Raft,

It was just a mistake...although I have never made a mistake, I don't know how that works...yea right...welcome, to a German speaker.

Eric

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 18:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
I am very happy with its progress

Everyone involved should be proud. It is really rather good. Smile
Just to remind everyone with an Alpha - press f2 during boot from CD and type puppy pfix=ram so as not to interfere with any settings from other stable versions . . .

Enclosed is my first screen - only have one hard disk so not sure of all those?

- I am glad the 1MB chess flash was dropped - too big - yes it was good.
Maybe we can find a free to use alternative flash game?
- Pwidgets - fantastic - needs tweaks but very nice work
- Monkeymenu (click on the icon after home in Seamonkey) is excellent and to remind Warren - We have an online default webpage that can be added as a default for the beta (you do not have to be online to see it) that is from technosaurus
- Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?
- can confirm (see later posts) JWM to IceWM worked correctly without exiting to the prompt. I was able to tweak away. Many people love that it is the first thing they do with an operating system - claim the territory/deskspace

Wiki updated - more formatting etc welcome
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old-wikka-wikki/categorycommunity/puppy-42-deep-thought
Smile
l1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   20.96 KB
 Viewed   4018 Time(s)

l1.jpg

Last edited by Lobster on Tue 03 Feb 2009, 04:05; edited 2 times in total
Ray MK

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 21:16    Post subject:  

Hi

Got the same 1st screen as Lobster - but when I saved session and rebooted all seemed OK.

Had to tap once to get clock to display - BUT

Everything seems slicker - especially seamonkey
And composer is so much better as a welcome page or jump off page, plus its very handy for saving browser bookmarks to and very convenient for easy html page editing.

All this on my 5yr old laptop with only 93mb ram and a 1ghz celeron proc. frugal install. Nice.

Again many thanks to all concerned for doing what you do - this is going to be a fantastic CE when finished.

Very best regards to all - Ray
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 21:38    Post subject:  

I've been out of the loop for a while. Is 4.2 using the same kernel as 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16)? Xorg 7.3? Any other base package changes? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times.

Also make sure that ntfs-3g package was compiled in puppy, using the same version of FUSE.

Thanks!
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 22:59    Post subject:  

A few first impressions--haven't had much time to see what it can do yet. First the good news:

The CD did boot, and Internet setup (DSL + router) went quickly and well, as expected.

The switch from JWM to IceWM worked correctly without exiting to the prompt and entering "xwin icewm-session," unlike in former versions.

SeaMonkey's looks are much improved, looks more like Firefox, not Netscape Navigator 3. I might even use it! (Actually, I'm using it right now to post this message.)

You left out the calendar from Claws Mail--but that's good, because the calendar appeared to be pretty useless and very poorly displayed when I briefly tried Claws on Puppy 4.1.1.

Now the bad news:

Many icons for nonexistent drives appear on the desktop. Nonexistent drive sda7 is shown as mounted. I clicked it and got this error message: Arguments (drive ext2) given for non-executable item /root/.pup_event/drive_sda7. I clicked sda6, which does exist, and got Pmount instead of immediately mounting the drive and showing its contents. Drive sdb1 is shown as auto-mounted; I don't even have sdb1 inserted!

Tk gives an error message--very strange, since rarsa's Tk 8.5.6 .PET didn't give me the same message on Puppy 4.1.1:

Code:
# tclsh
% package require Tk
Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories:
    /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tk8.5 /usr/lib/tk8.5 /lib/tk8.5 /usr/library

/usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl: couldn't read file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl": no such file or directory
couldn't read file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl": no such file or directory
    while executing
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 [list source $::ttk::library/ttk.tcl]"
    invoked from within
"if {$::ttk::library ne ""} {
    uplevel \#0 [list source $::ttk::library/ttk.tcl]
}"
    (file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl" line 599)
    invoked from within
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list source $file]"

This probably means that tk wasn't installed properly.

And yet ... a Tk window appears, and you can put both Tk and Ttk widgets into it just as if the error message hadn't appeared!

XArchive still shows a bizarre list of "needed programs not found, ignored" when you open it--not a very user-friendly impression, to say the least.

I tried to find the GTK2 Stardust theme in the "Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser"--I couldn't find it! Not good! I do not think the new theme with dark trapezoids for scrollbars is an improvement. Plus, the new look will repel people who don't like orange, such as my wife. I like orange OK, but not quite that much of it!

Still to do: check sound, printing, integration with a copy of my pup_save file from Puppy 4.1.1, and more--but not tonight!

David McClamrock

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2009, 01:26    Post subject:  

and The first of many starts with "Homebank' Smile
icewm-402-v5.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  icewm-402-v5.pet 
Filesize  921.21 KB 
Downloaded  1022 Time(s) 
icewm-402-v4.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  icewm-402-v4.pet 
Filesize  918.63 KB 
Downloaded  1050 Time(s) 
icewm-402-v3.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  icewm-402-v3.pet 
Filesize  865.6 KB 
Downloaded  1007 Time(s) 
icewm-402-v2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  icewm-402-v2.pet 
Filesize  865.62 KB 
Downloaded  999 Time(s) 
gtkhash-0.2.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gtkhash-0.2.0.pet 
Filesize  127.96 KB 
Downloaded  957 Time(s) 
beaver0.4.0-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  beaver0.4.0-i386.pet 
Filesize  80.03 KB 
Downloaded  1008 Time(s) 
geany-0.15-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  geany-0.15-i386.pet 
Filesize  638.63 KB 
Downloaded  959 Time(s) 
homebank-4.0.2-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  homebank-4.0.2-i386.pet 
Filesize  182.75 KB 
Downloaded  996 Time(s) 

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 07 Feb 2009, 09:45; edited 10 times in total
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2009, 01:45    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
I am very happy with its progress

- Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?

Hi Lobster we wnt with X-Chat because Ayttm was buggy, When you changed your nick name while in chat,' /nick Lobster' you would get as nick
Lobster www.sdfasradfsdrtwersdfasd.com Wrote: <---- this isn't what I change my nick name too.
Also the GUI was hard to work. Also I had it crash a few times in Chat.

Now Xchat
Well I managed to make it 684.23 KB pet in size (pidgin in the repo is 1.6MB pet) and an older xchat in the Repo was 677pet without the following listed below Wink

Also I included the #puppylinux to automatically load when executing it, This is a first for Xchat packages, even the repo one didn't do that.
Next i change the font sizes because the default ones were too small.
So now you click chat and it works out of the box and straight to the help.
ttuuxxx

Page 1 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Jump to: