Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

growler

Hiawatha not working => PPLOG not working

#141 Post by growler »

Same problem in alpha 3 with Hiawatha and of course PPLOG doesn't work as a result. Its a permissions thing ... I think, but setting permissions so the user nobody can rwx the files under the webroot /root/httpd/hiawatha - or even all of /root doesn't fix it - if I su to nobody then I still can't read these files??

ttuuxxx

#142 Post by ttuuxxx »

hey whodo I updated the Icewm package with the new 'refresh script'
I made 2 versions

icewm-402-v3 <-- has reduced tab menu, I removed 'fixmenus' and 'restart-IceWm' the reason is because the new 'refresh menu icons' does both jobs already and it even ups the menu numbers 5 items each tab.

icewm-402-v2 has 5 on #1 tab and tab #2 has 7 on it.

Who please tell me which Icewm package you'll be using. So I won't have to constantly update 2 packages, every time I add or fix the Icewm package, eg next the themes.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
menu.png
(55.33 KiB) Downloaded 1255 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Patriot

#143 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

I happen to have a bit of free time today and I gave puppy 4.2a3 a few test runs ...

My observations (if anyone cares to read):

1. Pwidgets stuffs are nice but it made everything feels sluggish on older hardware (and even in QEMU) when I have many simple stuffs running (like several xterm plus several rox-filer). I did get annoyed whenever I want to click on xterm but the top tray gets in the way ... I suggest adding a switch in Pwidgets control panel to turn them on or off ...

Update: After I made this post, I noticed that puppy was running on max cpu load on the test machine. Top shows an app taking up all the cpu time making everything sluggish. A reboot cured it. I tried to reproduce but couldn't get the same result. I'll keep my eyes open should it occur again and find whats happening ...

And speaking of QEMU, please see if my QEMU xorgwizard patch is acceptable for inclusion :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 523#269523

2. absvolume is broken. It shows volume slider on entry then barks off. absvolume from 4.1.x and 4.2a(1) still works as a reference.

3. Cups web interface is broken due to cups doc folder renaming. ttuuxx may have thought that I excluded important doc portions of the original, which is incorrect. The only portion that have been excluded is the es po locale (which is just taking more space and can be made into a pet instead). Others remain intact and follows the default cups ./configure script. Everything of importance is installed.

(Installation process is tweaked to achieve the desired effect targeted specifically for Puppy 4.1.x ... I see that puppy 4.2a backbone structure is very much similar to 4.1 and both suffers the same predicament with cups)

A quick cups fix for puppy-4.2a3 would be to rename /usr/share/doc/cups-1.1.23 to /usr/share/doc/cups or make a symlink to it .. This will "cure" that 404 error ... which actually does not happen with my cups_std ... Many of these settings are hard-coded defaults into cups during compile time ... To make changes to any folder name or location then it should either be specified during ./configure or add the necessary config entries to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (once compiled) ...

4. Please make some tests with the usblpp backend addon. It's for usb printer detection and printing ... I may be incorrect but cups usb backend seems to be incomplete for linux in its current form ... The addon should address this and is to be deemed as experimental ...

Seasoned puppy users will notice that printers will now be assigned either /dev/lp# for LPTs or /dev/usb/lp# for USBs ... cups uri for these will be :

parallel:/dev/lp# for LPTs
-and-
parallel:/dev/usb/lp# for USBs

If using the usblpp backend addon then USBs will be:
usblpp:/dev/usb/lp#

The parallel or usblpp refers to the backend modules used by cups for detection and printing ...

Please view cups-for-puppy functionality as work-in-progress ... The last 2 weeks of cups troubleshooting and whacking is not sufficient to solve all cups related woes ... Cups has impose security checks in many of its modules ... If I understand correctly, cups is now reflected with hardened security but puppy is root owned. That makes cups running on puppy with very limited permissions and we now see all sorts of cups printing issues ...

Why did cups 1.1.23 works without problems ? IMHO, it is because the older cups runs as root and thus have access to almost everything ... All newer cups will not (actually we can but that mean running out-of-specs and it'll bork many stuffs) ... That said, running cups 1.1.23 is justifiable if you do not need newer functionality ...

The main reason why I am looking into latest cups is because I require samba server + cups functionality as the older cups does not work reliably ... Puppy 4.1.x is deemed to be a stable release that I have installed in multiple locations and that's where I based my fixes upon ...

Cups versions between 1.1.23 and 1.4 have made numerous changes (will take me like forever to track which is which since I've only recently begun looking at it) and to make it work properly for puppy, needs lotsa patience ... Frankly, I'm like treating symptoms rather than finding the root cause and to find the root cause needs someone who can afford to sit down for a whole month and get properly acquainted with cups, inside-out ... (btw, I'm lame with C ... worse with C++ or C# ...)

I'll do what I can but don't get your hopes too high ... cups alone can cause sleepless nights .... imagine what cups + gutenprint + hplip can do to you ...

5. I suggest that the acpid package (or at least the config + scripts) be updated as the one currently used does not perform a power-button shutdown if one exits to prompt. I will look into possible notebook lid/button support if I can get my hands on one ...

Ok, enough ranting ...

Rgds
Last edited by Patriot on Sat 07 Feb 2009, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#144 Post by zigbert »

You can now hide Ptray (the top tray). I have included it in menu to easily activate it later.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 354#272354

Sigmund

aragon

#145 Post by aragon »

@Whodo

added some more updates

- ADDED 06.02.09: LAME 3.98.2
- ADDED 06.02.09: Vorbis-Tools 1.20
- ADDED 06.02.09: Axel-2.3
- ADDED 06.02.09: Wget-1.11.4

to

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 518#271518

aragon

WhoDo

#146 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Who please tell me which Icewm package you'll be using. So I won't have to constantly update 2 packages, every time I add or fix the Icewm package, eg next the themes.
Ok, I'm using v3 ATM. The wording should be "Refresh Menu" instead of "Refresh Menu Icons" - just a nit that I couldn't help picking. :P

I'm confused. :? I like the Shutdown Options dialog, but I thought it was going to be called from Ctrl+Alt+Del key combo? You have it integrated on the Shutdown menu option. For that reason the Refresh Menu option would be better as a top level icon on the main menu. It doesn't logically fit under Shutdown options IMHO.

Between you, aragon, Zigbert/trio/01micko, HairyWill, kirk, Patriot, Catdude, Pizzasgood, MU and coolpup I'm gonna need a diary to keep track of all the wonderful new updates and features! :roll: I love it, of course, but it's going to take me the best part of a day to sort through the list and make sure I've included everything.

@All - I'd really like Alpha4 to be the last of the Alpha series - i.e. impose a feature lock so we can move into the serious bug-chasing phase. I think the best thing I can do is to publish the package list here before I build the Alpha so people can tell me if anything's been overlooked.
ACE-Solitaire.pet
acpid-1.0.8-i486.pet
alsa-lib-1.0.19-i386.pet
axel-2.3.pet
claws-mail-3.7.0-html-Cal-v2.pet
clearlooks-0.6.2-i386.pet
Clearlooks-Chocolate.pet
conky-1.6.1.pet
cups_std-1.4b2-i486-v2.pet
dhcpcd-4.0.10-prescott.pet
dosfstools-3.0.1-prescott.pet
dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet
gdmap-0.8.1.pet
gdmap-NLS-0.8.1.pet
geany-0.15.pet
geany-NLS-0.15.pet
gftp-2.0.19-i386.pet
gpicview_0.1.11_slideshow-0.2-i386.pet
gpicview_0.1.11_slideshow-0.2-Locales.pet
grub-gfxboot_0.97-5_i386.pet
gspca-E2500-k2.6.25.16.pet
gtkhash-0.2.0.pet
gxine-0.5.903-patched-MU-puppy4.1-i486.pet
gxine_NLS-0.5.903-patched-MU-puppy4.1-i486.pet
homebank-4.0.2-i386.pet
hotrox-0.1.pet
htop-0.8.1-i386.pet
icewm-402-v3.pet
jester-1.0-i486.pet
JQ8flat-lite-0.2.pet
jwm_2.0.1_puppy_patch-45-i486.pet
lame-3.98.2.pet
lame-DEV-3.98.2.pet
leafpad-0.8.16.pet
leafpad-NLS-0.8.16.pet
libdvdcss-1.2.10-prescott.pet
libgphoto2-2.4.4-i386.pet
libidn-0.6.10.pet
libpng-1.2.34-dev.pet
libpng-1.2.34.pet
libsamplerate-0.1.2.pet
libsamplerate_dev-0.1.2.pet
libxcb-1.0.pet
mhwaveedit-1.4.15(2).pet
mhwaveedit-NLS-1.4.15.pet
mtpaint-3.29(2).pet
newman-1.0.tar.gz
ntfs-3g-2009.1.1-i486.pet
p7zip-4.58-xarchiver.pet
Parcellite-0.9.pet
partview-4.1.pet
pburn-2.1.1.pet
petget-420.pet
pfilesearch-1.11.pet
pfind-4.6.pet
pmetatagger-2.1.pet
pmusic-0.5.3.pet
ptray-0.3.pet
PuppyBasic-2.6.pet
pwidgets-0.6.pet
pwidgets_weather-0.1.pet
pwireless-0.8.4(2).pet
rc.country-1.14.1.gz
roxrightclicks-0.8.2.pet
seahaven-1.50-i486.pet
seamonkey-1.1.14-no_mailnews.pet
tcl-8.5.6a.pet
tk-8.5.6a.pet
Trash-0.3.3.pet
unrar-3.7.8-xarchiver.pet
vorbis-tools-1.20.pet
wallpaper-0.5.1.pet
wget-1.11.4.pet
xarchiver-0.5.2-i386-v5.pet
xbacklight-1.1.pet
xchat-2.8.4-402.pet
xcheckers-2.2.3-i486.pet
xdg_puppy-0.7.6-5.pet
xfreecell-1.05b.pet
xmahjongg-i486.pet
xokoban-1.0-i486.pet
xpad-2.14-i386.pet
Great work, guys! Puppy-4.2 Deepthought will well and truly live up to its name! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

pa_mcclamrock

#147 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Questions:

(1) Where's Gnocl? Now that Tcl and Tk are back, Gnocl would combine most of the ease of Tcl/Tk scripting with all the style of GTK+ 2.0, at very little additional cost in size and resource use. (Gnocl does take a bit of getting used to if you're accustomed to write GUI scripts with Tk, but once you cross the pons asinorum it becomes pretty appealing.) Gnocl developer William J. Giddings ("WJG" on the Tcl'ers Wiki) has expressed great interest in seeing Gnocl used in Puppy (see http://wiki.tcl.tk/5151). I bet he'd be more than willing to help squash the very few bugs that rarsa found in Gnocl 0.9.92, which is supposed to be a notable improvement over 0.9.91. Besides, even 0.9.91 would be far better than no Gnocl at all. How soon would Gnocl 0.9.92 have to be whipped into shape to be considered for inclusion?

(2) No AbiWord? Hey, that's OK with me, but there does need to be a word processor. How about TextMaker 2002 from the Official Puppy 3 repository? :D

(3) Shouldn't it be "newman-1.0.pet" instead of "tar.gz"? I did turn it into a .PET after Pizzasgood posted it as a single .gz file.

(4) If Gnocl gets in, how soon will I have to get done with "Remaster Express" (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38388) to have it considered for inclusion?

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#148 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:(1) Where's Gnocl?
The earlier version of Gnocl is in - this is a list of updates and new packages, not the whole shebang, ok? :wink:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:(2) No AbiWord?
As above. There is no Gnumeric in the list for the same reason. :roll:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:(3) Shouldn't it be "newman-1.0.pet" instead of "tar.gz"? I did turn it into a .PET after Pizzasgood posted it as a single .gz file.
Ah, now you're getting the idea! :lol: I used the tar.gz file because I used pet2tgz to unpack the pet for testing first. OTOH, it could have been a wrong version and I'd rather know than not. If there is no difference between your dotpet and the tar.gz file included it doesn't matter. If there is a difference, other than format, then it does.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:(4) If Gnocl gets in, how soon will I have to get done with "Remaster Express" (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38388) to have it considered for inclusion?
I'm building my first pre-alpha4 at the moment. I'm planning on uploading Alpha4 late Sunday evening if I don't die of heatstroke from the 42 degrees C temperature predicted for Sunday. If "Remaster Express" isn't ready by then, it's not all over. I could be persuaded to go to an Alpha5 for the right features, or to send it straight in with the first beta if it's solid enough. Once beta one is up though, features are fixed.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

straypup

WiFi

#149 Post by straypup »

Hate tobring it up but the Connection Wizard version of rtl8187 still does not work with rtl8187b dongles. It works ok with ndiswrapper in a19 I'm using that now, but refuses to let me load "b" in wrapper. This has been a problem in401 series, but I could not find it on the forum. Has anyone created a .pet or .dot pup to patch this .
Sad in the Kennels stray
:cry:

alex12

Re: WiFi

#150 Post by alex12 »

straypup wrote:Hate to bring it up but the Connection Wizard version of rtl8187 still does not work with rtl8187b dongles.
My biggest problem with any distro. I hope someone has a fix.

ttuuxxx

#151 Post by ttuuxxx »

HI WhoDO

I haven't managed to get the Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the menu yet, I Do think its a heck of a lot nicer than then old defaultmenu shutdown selection that had odd ball things ,like restat Xserver, or restart icewm.
It has the Power symbol which is obvious to most users that it will shutdown the system so maybe just come up with a new name for it, Like 'Ice Control ' short for 'Icewm Control Panel' . I also stayed up to 6:30am fixing that rude comment about 'Hot Glued' panel controls buttons, probably won't ever forget that statement. I've also been converting the Silver XP theme over to my lite series, its very close to the original, here's the run down, Silver XP out of the box was 1156kb now its 248kb extracted, or 40kb pet compressed compared to 316kb :), but I still have a bit of tweaking to it should change or minus the size much. Do you want it included in the IceWM pet package? I guess I could include it and you minus it if you like :)
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#152 Post by ttuuxxx »

Also I noticed something if you go to
/usr/share/icewm/themes/ <---- and right click on the folder and select copy and name it SpreadBuntutest then click properties on both you'll see that the original is 109KB and the copied version is 324KB why did the folder triple in size just because you copied it?
ttuuxxx

Ps if you tar.gz them both, They are the same size 28kb which is also strange.
Attachments
WhatThe.png
(126.35 KiB) Downloaded 976 times

Ray MK

#153 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Question regarding latest Wifi drivers for EeePc 701SD and similar?

Will we include these drivers in this CE for this very popular netbook
or will users be expected to find and then to download
and then to install for themselves.

Not a major hurdle for seasoned puppy user's BUT for a new user?

Particulary a new user who has had a bit of a struggle getting a USB
or an SD card to boot - and after all that - WHAT the %$*@?

Last straw - mutter & fester etc. Can we make it easy?

As always - very best regards - Ray

WhoDo

Re: WiFi

#154 Post by WhoDo »

straypup wrote:Hate tobring it up but the Connection Wizard version of rtl8187 still does not work with rtl8187b dongles. It works ok with ndiswrapper in a19 I'm using that now, but refuses to let me load "b" in wrapper. This has been a problem in401 series, but I could not find it on the forum. Has anyone created a .pet or .dot pup to patch this .
Sad in the Kennels stray
:cry:
I suggest you try the Puppy 4.x series extra drivers thread by tempestuous. If it's not there it probably doesn't exist. If it doesn't exist you could post a request for tempestuous in that thread.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

#155 Post by WhoDo »

Ray MK wrote:Question regarding latest Wifi drivers for EeePc 701SD and similar?

Will we include these drivers in this CE for this very popular netbook...
What I always tell my kids when I need time to think about the question ... "We'll see" .... :P Wonder if I'm gonna have to use that one on my new granddaughter too? :?

ttuuxxx

#156 Post by ttuuxxx »

[quote="WhoDo"][/quote]

WoW WhoDo she looks just like you, minus, the spikey hair, glasses, and blue jacket :wink:
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#157 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I haven't managed to get the Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the menu yet
It doesn't matter for Icewm - Ctrl + Alt + Del already brings up an options menu

ttuuxxx wrote:I Do think its a heck of a lot nicer than then old defaultmenu shutdown selection that had odd ball things ,like restat Xserver, or restart icewm. It has the Power symbol which is obvious to most users that it will shutdown the system so maybe just come up with a new name for it, Like 'Ice Control ' short for 'Icewm Control Panel'.
Here's what I'd like to see:
1. The Refresh Menu option as a separate entry on the main menu of both JWM and IceWM menus (I can add that to the templates if I have the script and its name available) - it can sit at or near the Help menu option.

2. Your Shutdown dialog coming up when the shutdown icon is clicked on the IceWM main menu - only minus the Refresh menu option

3. Your Shutdown dialog called from JWM either when Ctrl+Alt+Del key combo is used in that window manager or when Shutdown is selected from the JWM main menu. HairyWill has it sorted. All he needs is your dialog script to bind it to.

4. JWM should also get the Refresh Menu option on the main menu.

I know that means some slight inconsistency between the two WM's, but it also means both react appropriately to the Ctrl+Alt+Del keypress combo.
ttuuxxx wrote:I also stayed up to 6:30am fixing that rude comment about 'Hot Glued' panel controls buttons, probably won't ever forget that statement.
We only hurt the ones we love, ttuuxxx! :P I'm glad you reacted in a constructive way, but I do think 6:30am is over the top, even for you. :shock: I don't want your wife naming us in the divorce papers! :lol:
ttuuxxx wrote:I've also been converting the Silver XP theme over to my lite series, its very close to the original, here's the run down, Silver XP out of the box was 1156kb now its 248kb extracted, or 40kb pet compressed compared to 316kb :), but I still have a bit of tweaking to it should change or minus the size much. Do you want it included in the IceWM pet package? I guess I could include it and you minus it if you like :)
Better still, why don't you grab the entire XP series of Icewm themes from my directory on puppylinux.ca and give them ALL the ttuuxxx treatment? Then re-upload them so others can get them from there.

ATM Puppy-4.2alpha4 is 95Mb without CUPS! I'm still pruning, but extra themes are low on my priorities for the standard version, even the ones as tiny as yours. Only an update to your Odelite with a full title bar is a must have for now. :wink:

I'll revisit that decision when I've finished uploading Alpha4 tomorrow night. By then I should know what I was able to prune out. CUPS dependencies are ALL OVER THE PLACE - Abiword, epdfview, etc., etc.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 07 Feb 2009, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#158 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:WoW WhoDo she looks just like you, minus, the spikey hair, glasses, and blue jacket :wink:
Haven't taught her how to grow a beard like Pa's yet! I think her mum and dad might object to that! :lol: Fortunately I think she's going to look a lot like her mum, which is a GOOD thing, IMHO. :roll:

WhoDo

#159 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:... the original is 109KB and the copied version is 324KB why did the folder triple in size just because you copied it?
...[snip]...
Ps if you tar.gz them both, They are the same size 28kb which is also strange.
Hmmm...interesting! I'll have a look and see if I can figure out why. :?

Ray MK

#160 Post by Ray MK »

Nice - a lovely looking little bundle of mischief

Just look at those little script writers fingers

All the very best - Ray