How to do a FULL install of Puppy, to an empty HDD (2010)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pedro D

#101 Post by Pedro D »

Could you visit my post about problems I have with making the FULL install please? I would like your help there since you are a nice person and seems to be very experienced with this :D . The link is below.
Thank you :D

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38273

gychang

#102 Post by gychang »

CatDude, thanks, I will follow this verbatum.

gychang

scoundrel

#103 Post by scoundrel »

followed the how to and then on reboot got only GNU GRUB version 0.97 .
and something about Minimal BASH ?
below that was a grub> ?

I hit enter and it just keeps coming back with the grub> thing ??

have tried the how to now 4 times and always get this on reboot ??

either I am doing something wrong.. or there is something missing or wrong with the how to .. :oops: :oops:

CatDude

#104 Post by CatDude »

Hello scoundrel

Welcome to the kennels.

May i suggest that you start a new thread over in the Beginners section,
as i am not a GRUB guru myself, and those that are (rcrsn51 for example) stand a better chance of finding it there.

I also suggest that you provide more details explaining EXACTLY what you have done,
for example:
how is your drive/drives formatted, and what Puppy version you are using.

The more details you provide, the easier it is for someone to offer assistance.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

scoundrel

#105 Post by scoundrel »

CatDude wrote:Hello scoundrel

Welcome to the kennels.

May i suggest that you start a new thread over in the Beginners section,
as i am not a GRUB guru myself, and those that are (rcrsn51 for example) stand a better chance of finding it there.

I also suggest that you provide more details explaining EXACTLY what you have done,
for example:
how is your drive/drives formatted, and what Puppy version you are using.

The more details you provide, the easier it is for someone to offer assistance.

CatDude
not a problem catdude.. . as far as what and how.. I followed your instructions to the letter.. except for the ext2 ..I used ext3 .....

this morning I didn't quit reinstalling till it showed a boot screen on reboot .. tried all kinds of changes to your tut .. then finally it showed the boot screen.. happy camper as of now.. :o
Scoundrel

CatDude

#106 Post by CatDude »

Hello scoundrel
scoundrel wrote: not a problem catdude.. . as far as what and how.. I followed your instructions to the letter.. except for the ext2 ..I used ext3 .....
I use ext3 for all of my partitions, both full and frugal installs
and i have never had any problems of any kind.
scoundrel wrote: this morning I didn't quit reinstalling till it showed a boot screen on reboot .. tried all kinds of changes to your tut .. then finally it showed the boot screen.. happy camper as of now.. :o
So you can't recall what you did that finally got it to work ?

At least you have got it working.

CatDude

scoundrel

#107 Post by scoundrel »

well..... one thing that struck me as strange .. was that this morning the hard drive partitions were sda instead of hda .??

with only one hard drive and it set as master.. this shouldn't be so.. + my friend is not that happy with it, puppy 4.1.2 is not playing his radio station and he wants a bit more out of it.. so I guess I'll be getting it back tomorrow ... think I'll try MM08 on it and see if it will run it right.. the specs on his lappy being quite dismal ..
Scoundrel

CatDude

#108 Post by CatDude »

Hello scoundrel
scoundrel wrote: well..... one thing that struck me as strange .. was that this morning the hard drive partitions were sda instead of hda .??

with only one hard drive and it set as master.. this shouldn't be so..
Not so,
i take it you are using a Puppy with the latest kernel (k2.6.25.16) which would make your partitions sda1, sda2 etc
If you were using a retro version (k2.6.21.7) then your partitions would be hda1, hda2 etc

CatDude

scoundrel

#109 Post by scoundrel »

CatDude wrote:Hello scoundrel
scoundrel wrote: well..... one thing that struck me as strange .. was that this morning the hard drive partitions were sda instead of hda .??

with only one hard drive and it set as master.. this shouldn't be so..
Not so,
i take it you are using a Puppy with the latest kernel (k2.6.25.16) which would make your partitions sda1, sda2 etc
If you were using a retro version (k2.6.21.7) then your partitions would be hda1, hda2 etc

CatDude
that would explain it :wink:
Scoundrel

zippytex

full install successful!!!!

#110 Post by zippytex »

Wow! I cannot believe it! I had my new laptop on one side with your flash program and my old laptop on my right side. I progressed window by window until I was done! Thanks so much, I have been trying for days!
Not trying to advance more quickly than the flash showed me was the trick! My old one is slower and I kept thinking something was wrong, because it produced the new screens much slower! Thanks for taking the time to do this. It should be required reading and viewing for all the new people. By the way, did I say thanks!!!!! :P

CatDude

#111 Post by CatDude »

Hello zippytex

Glad to hear of your success following this howto,
it seems like some folks succeed at the first attempt, while others do not.

Anyway, congratulations and welcome to the kennels.

CatDude

paule

Problem formatting a swap partition

#112 Post by paule »

I am doing a full install, and am using gparted, but after I create the main partition as hda1 and the swap as hda2, after I apply the processes, the main partition is fine, but the swap formatting does not seem to stick. After the process is complete, the warning triangle comes on for that partition, and it indicates "file system unknown"

I have tried deleting the swap partition and reassigning it and reformatting it, but still no joy. What am I doing wrong???

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Paul

CatDude

#113 Post by CatDude »

Hello paul

Have you tried booting from the Puppy-LiveCD using "puppy pfix=ram" (without the quotes) at the 5 second pause
then use GParted to create and format your partitions ?

CatDude

paule

#114 Post by paule »

CatDude wrote:Hello paul

Have you tried booting from the Puppy-LiveCD using "puppy pfix=ram" (without the quotes) at the 5 second pause
then use GParted to create and format your partitions ?

CatDude
Hi CatDude,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried that, and it didn't work. In the mean time, I think I found out what the problem is. I had put a new 160gig drive in my CF-28, but looking at the bios, it looks like it only recognizes 137gig.
Looks like I will have to start over and put the swap partition at the beginning of the drive and let the main partition occupy the remainder of the disk... Unless I can find a bios fix that will allow the recognition of larger drives.

Thanks again for the reply, and the howto is great...

cheers, Paul

paule

#115 Post by paule »

Just a follow up. It turns out that the problem is the 137gig limit on the CF-28 bios. I ended up shrinking the primary partition down to 130gig and put a 5gig swap partition at the end of that which left about 12 gig at the end. I now have a working swap partition so my immediate problem is solved. Now just to figure out if there is a good way to use the last 12 gig.

Thanks again for the help.

cheers, Paul

mrreality13

#116 Post by mrreality13 »

just wanted to say thanks for this post catdude :lol:

nubc

#117 Post by nubc »

Kenny-M

#118 Post by Kenny-M »

Has anyone written a procedure to put Puppy on a non-system hard drive?

I have a PC with internel SATA drive and External USB 320GB drive.

The SATA drive is full of Windows stuff and would like to install Puppy to the External USB Hard Drive so at boot time by selecting the USB device at boot time Puppy should start.

I have tried various method but have bee unable to get it to work.

Any detailed steps would be apprecoated.

Thanks.

smokey01

#119 Post by smokey01 »

Enter your BIOS setup and change your boot up sequence. Make the USB drive boot before your internal drive. If you unplug your USB drive then it will boot off your internal drive.

I have my sequence set to:

USB
CD
HDD

If I pug in a USB HDD or Flash drive it will boot from it before my CD/DVD or HDD.

Hope this helps.

Kenny-M

#120 Post by Kenny-M »

smokey01,

Thank you for that. I was looking more for what gets loaded on the USB harddrive and in what sequence. Like partition drive (1 or more partitions) (boot, puppy, swap, tmp, user, etc), setup boot partition, transfer puppy, run Grub, Edit Grub's config file to point to /dev/hdb1, and so on. ?? If I were to plug in a second USB drive first would the one with puppy on it /dev/hdb become /dev/hdc? These are the areas where I am having problems.

Thanks