Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 09:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 16 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 02:45    Post_subject:  

straypup wrote:
The requested info is as follows
Vendor=Obda ProductID=8189 Rev=2.00 Manufacturer=Realtek Product=RTL8187B WLAN Adapter

Well that device ID is not recognised by the standard "rtl8187" kernel module in Puppy 4.1.x, but it is recognised by the proprietary "r8187" module that I contributed two months ago here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=252339#252339

alex12 wrote:
my dongle, also rtl8187b, returns
Code:
Vendor=050d ProdID=705e

That device ID is not recognised by either the standard or proprietary module. Obviously, that's a problem.
So I did some Googling, and found a list of additional RTL8187B devices which need to be recognised -
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8180.html

I have now updated the proprietary r8187 wifi driver to recognise these additional device ID's.

Edited_times_total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 02:52    Post_subject:  I think I'll go back to my barbeque lunch!  

No offense intended to anyone debating the relative merits of JWM and Icewm BUT this is supposed to be an Alpha3 bugs & fixes thread.

@ttuuxxx - Chill, Jeff, ok? Rolling Eyes I already responded to Sigmund's post way back when. He wasn't shooting at you, just trying to balance the ledger for the JWM devotees; that's all. Hey I now LIKE the bubbly title bar - it grows on you after a while. It's just probably a little too "different" for a default look is all. Like fine wine and strong cheese, some of your designs are an acquired taste. Cool

@trapster - It may be time to try Icewm again - never is an awful long time. Wink I had the same bad experience as you with an early Icewm. It wasn't the wm's fault, just the way it was packaged to produce the preferred effect. ttuuxxx's latest minimal version doesn't change any defaults and is easily removed.

Better still, give it a whirl in Alpha4 - especially that Ctrl+Alt+Space feature to get a command line in the task bar, and Ctrl+Alt+Del to get shutdown/reboot options etc. I'm still learning about this amazing little WM. JWM2.0 also raised its standards, and if it was being maintained as rigorously as it deserves, would be right up there too for functionality. Just my $AUD0.02c worth.

@Lobster - don't know what happened to the email, Ed, but I didn't get it. I haven't yet included the modified initrd.gz in Puppy-4.2 because I wanted to get all the packages stable first. If someone who knows would like to PM me with instructions to modify the initrd directly, I'll make the changes in my Unleashed tree for this release. Better be quick though. I'm getting an itchy trigger finger! Razz

@Zigbert - I think we understand each other fairly well. Believe me when I say that you are not the cause of the brouhaha. You can't blame a bright spark for every inferno (very topical given the current situation down here - 35 dead and still counting). Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Guys, I'm not GOD, a God, God-like or even a demi-god like Barry. All the same I now know just what it feels like to watch my "children" fighting among themselves when they could achieve so much more by cooperating (notice I didn't say "agreeing"). Please, can we just concentrate on making Puppy-4.2 "DeepThought" the best darn standard Puppy release ever? It goes without saying that I love you all regardless of who you are and how you behave but sometimes its really hard, you know? Rolling Eyes

Edited_time_total
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 04:32    Post_subject:  

Mmmmm cheese.... I got a gift card for Christmas that I haven't gotten around to using yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find a store within walking distance and get me some queso. We're having really nice weather lately, and I could use a good walk.

Quote:
Like when comments were placed about the default title bar, well I spent 21.5hrs in one day working on it until it was perfect again
Shocked Tell your wife sorry for me. Yeah, I didn't like the old one much. But not 21.5 hours worth! The new one does look better though.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 05:13    Post_subject: Re: I think I'll go back to my barbeque lunch!  

WhoDo wrote:

@Lobster - don't know what happened to the email, Ed, but I didn't get it.

it was a pm - here is the link again and you did mention that you would add it to alpha 4 also in a pm - not email - my mistake Embarassed

here is a possible SFS solution . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=272534#272534

trapster

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 09:02    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
Quote:
@trapster - It may be time to try Icewm again - never is an awful long time. I had the same bad experience as you with an early Icewm. It wasn't the wm's fault, just the way it was packaged to produce the preferred effect. ttuuxxx's latest minimal version doesn't change any defaults and is easily removed.

That is true, it was an earlier package that ttuuxxx did not make but it did leave a bad taste. I should (one of these days) try ttuuxx's version to see what all the fuss is about.

@ ttuuxxx -
Quote:
I remind people how much effort/time I put into puppy because my wife gets on my case all the time about the hours I put into this project. Wink
Like when comments were placed about the default title bar, well I spent 21.5hrs in one day working on it until it was perfect again

Your perseverance is admirable!
(just don't neglet the wife too much Wink )

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
tasmod

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 09:35    Post_subject:  

Issue with top Ptray menu still to be resolved. Missing icons in drop down.

I altered the .jwmrc-tray-top for correct location of icons. All was well.

Then I tried the new Ptray. It does not start off with the correct icons in line and if clicked will blank the top bar again and revert to missing icons.

It replaces default .jwmrc-tray-top.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 10:06    Post_subject:  

When you close pmusic and its playing a song, it continues to keep playing and when its finished it still doesn't exit, if you check it with pprocess its still active, this needs to be fixed or replaced.
ttuuxxx

Tom Raft

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 10:36    Post_subject: Pmusic  

This is a feature of pmusic.

Open pmusic again and stop playing.

Tom
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:28    Post_subject: Re: Pmusic  

Tom Raft wrote:
This is a feature of pmusic.

Open pmusic again and stop playing.

Tom

well it should work like that by default, you shouldn't have to manually kill it with pprocess, or reopen it a second time to kill it, it should be killed when you close it down. and if you want that feature it should be part of the menu.
ttuuxxx

pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 12:03    Post_subject:  

trapster wrote:
I should (one of these days) try ttuuxx's version [of IceWM] to see what all the fuss is about.

To get a full idea of what the fuss is about, you should also take a look at the IceWM Themes Exchange: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20702.

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
tasmod

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 15:16    Post_subject:  

Took your advice and checked out icewm themes. Quite nice.

However when I switched back to jwm I discovered a bug.

/.etc/windowmanager is not updated to jwm. So after a reboot it starts everytime in icewm.

$CURRENTWM stays as icewm
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 15:38    Post_subject:  

tasmod wrote:
/.etc/windowmanager is not updated to jwm. So after a reboot it starts everytime in icewm.

Yep. Fixed in latest release. See p1 of this thread for v5 of Icewm by ttuuxxx.

tasmod

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 15:48    Post_subject:  

Ah, sorry missed that.
Caneri

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 16:05    Post_subject:  

Alpha4 is here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38511

Eric

straypup

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 23:24    Post_subject:  rtl6187B  

tempestuous-Thank you for the help. Tried to install both listed modules (one at a time) but couldn't get them working (probably my missing something or not following the right procedures (remember I learn by Mistake) D/L again and now have working ndis (bad burn I guess) On line with a3 now. Something tells me you will beat this 8187 problem that seems to hang over ALL versions of linux. Again thanks..guess ndis will continue to serve me as it has since 2.13 when I discovered Puppy
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 16 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum