Enlightenment/Compiz Puplet???

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
37fleetwood

Enlightenment/Compiz Puplet???

#1 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I'm probably not the one to suggest this and I'm certainly not the one able to build this, at least not on my own, but what would it take to get something like this going in Puppy?

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

this is elive's experimental e-17 Enlightenment with Compiz Fusion.
I've downloaded it and booted to it and it looks absolutely brilliant!!
what would need to be done to make this into a Puplet? even as a remaster of something like wNOP or the Un-Named puplet which already have the video drivers and Compiz available and working. I was under the impression Compiz wouldn't work in Enlightenment, aparently I was wrong.

if someone is interested in mentoring a novice like me, or if you would just like to go for it on your own I think this is a puplet worth a try.
thanks
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

That is a great vid - we need more of those for Puppy :)
Dinky has expressed an interest - he is currently working on Ripple and maybe adding enlightenment would be a future goal . . . :)

OK Scott I am in it now - been playing about. The first thing is the enlightenment environment. This is the first time I rather liked enlightement as a window manger rather than a state of Buddhist awakening :). Unobtrusive, just there when you right click.
I feel Enlightenment has been incorporated with the right settings. Same with Compiz. Done well. Lots of effects.
Iceweasel (Firefox all free no proprietary codex) is also speedy and auto-connected on my Ethernet.
This really leads into a dilemma. This looks fantastic (as you say) but it has rough edges that need polishing. Will they be polished? If so then the release version will be great. Well done to the Elive people behind this. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

T_Hobbit

#3 Post by T_Hobbit »

Puppy+e17+compiz? I'm not the one to do that also but interested am I!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

runtt21

#4 Post by runtt21 »

WE are about to release macpup e17 that has the e17 desktop .It will be up in a few days just hang on..... But it wont have compiz.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

" this is elive's experimental e-17 Enlightenment with Compiz Fusion. "

I have heard reports of Elive a few times in
the past.

Sorry..........this wasa crapfest.

Hooley Dooley lovely background pic while booting....
which after 5 minutes I stopped counting;
and then a lovely welcome sound whilst it tried
innnumerable times to load the desktop,

I tried all sorts of combos to get it working,
and then it crashed.

I had to laugh because on Barrys blog he said
he'd have to get a move on because Woofy has been
mentioned on Distrowatch and he really didn't want people
downloading his one and only release and getting
the wrong impression about the bugs in it.

Well at least it reached the desktop,
I could be on the net, even Mick made NTFS
mount work...although some had problems.

Oh! and it was quick....especially noticable was Seamonkey.

Elive....more like Edrivel.

Chris.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I tried all sorts of combos to get it working,
and then it crashed.
:( I feel your frustration. I used to have the same problem with Mepis. Everyone said how great it was. Did not recognise my hardware. How great is that? Clue = "Not Great"
Incidentally on the fourth try (I think they swapped their base distro) it worked. It was a bit of an anti-climax. Mepis is OK.

For me with Elive it was more like - it works, it looks great. How functional is it as a working OS?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

37fleetwood

#7 Post by 37fleetwood »

cthisbear wrote:Elive....more like Edrivel.
funny it booted right up and ran great on my computer. the one thing I did some time ago was to make sure I had a video card that liked Linux. since then they all work for me. even after buying a new video card I'm still cheaper than Vista and with this distro, way cooler!
my question is, if I started with wNOP and installed Enlightenment, what else would have to be done to make e and Compiz play nice together?
I'm guessing it would be easier to add Enlightenment that to get Compiz running, that's why I suggested the two Puplets I did. wNOP has the advantage of having the video drivers and Tombh's wizard to set it up with already preconfigured. eventually we could do a completely new Puplet rather than a remaster type.
thanks
Scott 8)
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

37fleetwood :

Not knocking you mate but Puppy 1.07 picked up this
LG screen 15 months ago......no wobblies.

I see that I had burnt it to cd on New Years Eve 2005.

I get sick of this Linux friendly hardware rubbish.
Get this board and that card etc.
To me it's lazy development.

This is a Radeon 9200 card.
Middle of the road....if that Video Card.

This computer is now easily 4 years old.
Not state of the art so there's no excuse as
to why it won't work....... BS?????

They have a distro release over 6 times Puppys size
and it can't pick up the video....
And runs 6 times slower.

Minisys Muppy by MU just flies on this....on DVD.
Does this imply Mark is smarter?
Got that right.
Not one video failure from any Puppy or Puplet release.

Edited : Sorry...except the Gentoo Puppy?
That might have been a bad download.

Too many excuses with a majority of so called Linux gurus.
Half baked releases put off newbies forever.

And they want you to pay these Tossers.
The only one I've ever donated to is Barry Kauler.
And not just once.
Because when I boot up any Puppy it just puts a smile
on my dial............by a mile.

Chris.

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Muppy is a special case.
I designed version 008x for a company.

So we decided to use a "conservative" strategy, and stayed with a concept based on Puppy 3 / Slackware 12, even after Puppy 4 was released.
So Muppy should run very well and stable on "medium old" hardware.
The graficscard I used was a Ati Radeon 9250, so my focus was on the free Xorg drivers, that run pretty well with it.

Now this is different with some newer Pupplets, e.g. Newyearspup.
I meanwhile have a new computer with a very expensive modern Ati HD4850.
This has no 3D support yet with Xorg, even the radeon drivers of Xorg 7.4 do not work with 2D, only the vesa driver does.

So in newyearspup I concentrate on propriatary graficsdrivers, the catalyst driver from Ati gives ultra fast 3D. As the mainboard also has a onboard nvidia chip, I also test Nvidia drivers. Newyearspup currently has 2 Nvidia drivers plus a third one in a pet.

So Newyearspup is "the" system for my new computer, while Muppy is the best choice for my older computer.
I have reports, that newyearspup runs slow on some computers. So those users might prefer Muppy or another puplet instead.

The good thing is, that the "Puppy universe" offers us puplets in such different flavours.
Some focus on speed and old hardware, others on newest drivers and effects (compiz).
So you almost always will find a "optimal" one for your custom computer.
This is different from the big distros, that often focus just on cuting edge beta software, that sometimes runs "not yet" with new hardware, and "no longer" with old one.

In my former german board I often had messages of frustrated users, where graficscards no longer worked, after they updated their system to a new release, what often was required because of the complex dependency problems, when they wanted to use just 1 new program.
In Puppy, we often see, that people try with success to undertake enormous efforts to get a new program running also on older systems, as it actually was reached with Photo-Gimp.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

37fleetwood

#10 Post by 37fleetwood »

I also was using an ATI, a 9250 I think, and it works great until you want 3D, then it's a no go even in Puppy. for a guy like me who is dependent on someone else to do the coding I have to do what I have to do. and to your other points I fully understand and agree this is why I think a Puppy with E-17 and Compiz would be a great idea. it would look as great and run twice as fast! If I was happy with the eLive version then what use to build a Puppy?
thanks Scott 8)
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

wow

#11 Post by wow »

It's not Compiz, is something called ecomp/ecomorph a composite manager designed to work with Enlightenment.
http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/wiki/Stuff

I wonder if ecomorph will work with JWM, openbox, fluxbox, IceWM, etc.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

T_Hobbit

#12 Post by T_Hobbit »

runtt21 wrote:WE are about to release macpup e17 that has the e17 desktop .It will be up in a few days just hang on..... But it wont have compiz.
How many are a few? :P
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

37fleetwood

#13 Post by 37fleetwood »

wow wrote:It's not Compiz, is something called ecomp/ecomorph a composite manager designed to work with Enlightenment.

I wonder if ecomorph will work with JWM, openbox, fluxbox, IceWM, etc.
It would be very cool if it could be adapted to work with all the WM's that can't use Compiz.
so where do we get it and who knows how to make it work?
we really need to iron out the 3d driver issues in Linux, it's one of the major glitches.
also I played with Open GEU which is the Enlightenment version of Ubuntu. it also looks very nice though I couldn't get the compositing going.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

37fleetwood

#14 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, a few things I found out.
first I found out where to get it:
next I read somewhere that it should work with any WM though it is primarily being aimed at Enlightenmnet.
and depending on the time frame of this we may be barking up the wrong tree as e-18 is going to have it's own compositing kinda like KDE is doing.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]