PR People: Puppy vs Windows as a Weekend Project

Promote Puppy !
aahhaaa

PR People: Puppy vs Windows as a Weekend Project

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

I just got an email from Cnet's Weekend Project, which comes up with things to do with old PCs:

Dance, old PC, dance!
Confess: How many old PCs do you have stuck in a closet? I have a few gathering dust, plus an old tower PC that I use maybe once a month for Linux experiments.

Convert an old PC into an MP3 jukebox
Estimated time required: 6 hours
Estimated cost: $600 and up

Convert an old PC into an MP3 jukebox
Step 1: Free your main PC of MP3s
Step 2: Tools to turn a PC into a jukebox
Step 3: Pick the right PC to serve MP3s
Step 4: Add enough storage for your MP3s
Step 5: Upgrade your PC's sound
Step 6: Big, fast discs for MP3 backup
Step 7: Put your MP3 jukebox on a network
Step 8: Software for your MP3 jukebox

more at: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6361302-1.html

$600? why would you spend that much on an old PC? :roll:

Puppy's forte is running on old machines, and less talked about but just as important- recognizing hardware :D

I thought it would make an interesting challenge to ask:
How would you do this using Puppy?
How much should it cost & how long would it take a raw beginner to have it set up?

Note also that there's a feedback link on this article; and they need more weekend projects. :D

Alucard_the_dex

#2 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

@.@ you Ferkin kidding me right? They Literally said 600$? BUY A NEW PC for that kinda money!!! Jeesh

First Off A Large New HD can be found cheap As dirt......altho dirt is expensive now and days....Anywho A new sound card? @.@ mines old and just fine.

Mind Explaining to me what exactly is a "jukebox" Im thinking its just a PC With Mp3s on it that can be accessed by other computers and Stereo equipment no?

EDIT: I just read that........................um.............That is some dumb idea they are litteraly just telling you Wanna use your old PC chassis to make a new Jukebox Pc? Gut it and spend 600$ on new things! YAY! @.@
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

aahhaaa

#3 Post by aahhaaa »

I suppose it's a 'media server'; something like a networked Tivo; that link takes you to the full article... I could see a Puppy stripped down for just this use, and the HD would be completely free for MP3s, MPGs, &... if there was a power failure, Puppy would auto restart- try that in BillOS :D

Alucard_the_dex

#4 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Im thinking A Puppifyed Jukebox would cost maybe 100$ or less? A nice size HD would be 50$ if bought on special I mean i bought a 60 gig maxtor spanking new 40$. Then A Router would cost some money if its needed. Thats about it lol
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend