How to install rsync, for backups?

Using applications, configuring, problems
alan

How to install rsync, for backups?

#1 Post by alan »

After many weeks of anguish I've found a distro which is stable on my via Epia 500 and I'm very very happy - it will eventually be an audio only media box, but its other purpose is for backups.

Firstly I can confirm that the instructions for hard drive install on hda1 do indeed work. I changed the "type" to 4E with cfdisk then rebooted, then changed it back to 82, then installed to hard drive. No problems.

So the next thing I need is rsync to do back ups. Am I right in saying I'll need ssh on the puppy box (actually that would be sshd wouldn't it if I'm sending to it?)? and then I install rsync from source. I've seen a thread on sshd on this forum, with a .pup file.

So if anyone can confirm that that's the most sensible way of going about it, plus possible pitfalls then that would be great

many thanks,

Alan

alan

#2 Post by alan »

Well in case anyone else wants to try this and can't see that amazing deluge of answers (!), I can confirm that this does indeed work. You need to get sshd working and put the line

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/sshd
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Then get the usr_devx.sfs to enable source code compiling, and copy this to /
Then obtain the rsync source code and compile as directed in the read me (by running

Code: Select all

./ configure
make
make install
And then it works like a champ - and you too can make a really good back up machine out of a low spec pc.