IRC chat of sorts on the web-site ...

News, happenings
JohnMurga
Site Admin

IRC chat of sorts on the web-site ...

#1 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

After doing a review of the chat systems avalable and some pain with PHP:IRC I have installed what seemed to be the better / simpler option.

This is Flash based (because the current builds of Puppy have Flash but not Java), and is well integrated into phpBB, but unfortunately doesn't use the FreeNode servers, but the ICQ ones... This may not be such a bad thing as I have found the FreeNode servers to be quite unreliable as of late.

If we do decide to move the IRC channel to the ICQ servers you'd need to enter the following if you wanted to connect through Chatzilla (Mozilla).

Code: Select all

/server irc.icq.com
Either way let me know what you think ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

neg2led

#2 Post by neg2led »

Hiya all,

to make the CGI:IRC here work, i clicked on the 'advanced' link at the bottom of the normal login, and made it look like the pic attached - change 'Your Nick Here' to the nickname of your choice. it will bugger around for a little bit, then open up #puppylinux, and you can talk.

neg
everyone has fotografic memory. some peoples just dont have films!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Excellent

8)

You can now chat (assuming some Puppy in the world is available) by clicking on the chat button on the top of this forum. That needs Flash to be installed on your browser.

If not, ANY BROWSER can use the option in the previous posting.

Kewl

So far we have tested the new IRC channel (uses faster ICQ servers instead of freenode) with Windows (Opera and Firefox), two floppy system "BlueFlops", Xchat in Ubuntu Linux and Mozilla Puppy 1.0.1 which is flash enabled . . .

If you need more info on the new ICQ IRC chat room (and alternative ways to get to it) or wish to update or check the wiki info, it is here . . .

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC

Are we getting good or what?

:)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 25 May 2005, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

I don't know if I'm getting into the chat room or not. I have tried your instructions on the Wikki Lobster and no one seems to be in the room.
Will my old Gaim settings still work.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#5 Post by JohnMurga »

It is funny, sometimes it is quite busy ... But other times (like now), it is dead ;-(

Cheers
JohnM