usb boot hangs on copying usr_cram.fs

Booting, installing, newbie
doughboy_1800

usb boot hangs on copying usr_cram.fs

#1 Post by doughboy_1800 »

i have a 256 mini cruser usd drive and have puppy 1.0.1 installed.. It works fine but lately when i boot up it is hanging or just not seeming to copy the usr_cram.sf when booting all the time. The drive is new and and seems to work fine once it does boot all the way up. could it be a bad install, bad pup001, or something to do with the syslinux version. i have been searching the forums and cant really find the answer. I have been using puppy 1.0.1 for quit some time with a lexar jumpdrive secure that never gave me a problem like this. also could the possible problem be that i edited the syslinux.cfg file to psleep to 5 secounds instead of 30sec. so it would boot faster..oh and this computer is the same one i have been using with both drives on ita hp/compact not sure whiich model since it is my work computer and is pretty new.. any help would be help full thanks in advance..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What happens if you change the psleep value back to 30 sec?

BlackAdder

#3 Post by BlackAdder »

Flash could be right about changing the PSLEEP value. USB flash drives vary in their characteristics, and one may need more time for initialisation than another. Barry's recommendation is for a PSLEEP of 25 seconds with USB 1.1.

doughboy_1800

#4 Post by doughboy_1800 »

umm well it is a 256mb sandisk mini crusier 2.0 drive and since posting this thread it seems to be ok. I may have jumped the gun. But so far it has been running fine i think it might have been the computer since it is a work comp. I really do apperciate the responses to my question and i will change it to psleep 25 it i have anymore problems, and keep an update if that could be it.

On another note i have another? I wanted to update to the latest version of puppy i am currently running 1.0.1 and wanted to go to 1.0.6 i think is the latest. The only catch is I want to do it from the usb stick while running puppy cause i dont have access to a burner or cd drive, also just want to know how its done right LOL! I do on the other hand have access to my personal computer via rdp and have an ftp setup so i can download the file to the usb here at work. So stating that i can use rdp to extract the iso to a folder. Now this is where i am a little iffy about the rest of it i read that you only need the 3 main files (vmlinux,usr.cram.fs,and image.gz) am i correct in my thinking. I gathered that from the reading the forums. But am unclear as if i would need all the files in the 1.0.6 iso to make puppy work right and the have all the features of the new update. I tried to find the right answer to my ? but i might not have be searching the forums properly to find the answer. I would really appericate a proper step by step to do it right. If this is in the wrong place to ask this? please let me know and i will repost it in the right place thanks you all very much..

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

Please give this Wiki page a look and let me know if it helps your problem: (It mentions the usr_cram errors and Cruzer Mini syslinux issues.)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TroubleBootingUSBKeys

I'm planning on adding the psleep time mentioned above as a possible problem to the page, I'd like to include anything you'd like to add.