MediaPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vtpup

#21 Post by vtpup »

Hi Lobster, thank you.

I actually did have Audacity working before I even thought about making a puplet, but removed it in favor of MHWavedit (which is already a part of Puppy 4.1.2) since I found it easier (as a newb) to use. So I don't think it will be hard to add back.

The main thing I want to do first however is drop the size down of Mediapup right now. So I don't want to add anything in until I can first make it smaller.

Also working on a simple conversion method to sfs here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 352#266352

PuppyIso don't worry, I wasn't thinking of removing programs, so what is already there will stay. By reducing size, I meant physical size. I'd like to get the required memory size down.

The .sfs version would definitely help there, rather than the remastered Mediapup puplet version. You could then run it on relatively low memory computers.

On the other hand with computers boasting a gig of ram, the remastered puplet would allow running everything in ram.

CatDude

#22 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ puppyiso
There is no need to use Wine to run Wings3D, as there is a linux version available here
I am using version 0.99.04a in Puppy-4.00 without any problems.

CatDude
Attachments
Wings3D.jpg
(62.95 KiB) Downloaded 2193 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

puppyiso

wings3d

#23 Post by puppyiso »

Catdude, are you talking about wings-0.99.04a-linux.bzip2.run.gz?

Sorry for my ignorance. I don't know how to use it. just unzip and click on one of xx.sh file? Does the file name ..run.gz mean executable binary?

Whenever you have some time, kindly show me how you use the downloaded file.

Thing is that I have many wonderful windows freewares I would like to use such as Goldwave(share), K3D(a distant cousin of Maya?) etc.

I would liker to keep my options open to use windows programs.

Anyway, thank you for reminding me the linux version. I just don't know how to use it. I have always wished someone make it as a pet file.

I admit being so lazy. But that's how I am... :oops:

CatDude

#24 Post by CatDude »

Hello puppyiso
puppyiso wrote:Catdude, are you talking about wings-0.99.04a-linux.bzip2.run.gz?
I am indeed mate.
puppyiso wrote: Whenever you have some time, kindly show me how you use the downloaded file.
Just click on it, and you will get the following message:
  • Do you want to decompress /root/dudesdata/test/wings-0.99.04a-linux.bzip2.run.gz ?
    (it will decompress in current location
    and the original file will be deleted)
Answer Yes, and it will change to: wings-0.99.04a-linux.bzip2.run
Now right click on it, and select: Permissions
Click on Yes

Now all you have to do is click on it, and it will install into: /root/wings-0.99.04a
When asked, hit the Enter/Return key.
To run it, click on: /root/wings-0.99.04a/wings

Hope that helps
CatDude

puppyiso

Thank you Catdude!

#25 Post by puppyiso »

This forum is a wonderful place. And I did realized how lazy and dumb I am not to mention lack of knowledge.

Catdude, with your kind instruction, I know know how simple it was and I am so grateful to you.

Linux is something Distrowatch says "Put the fun back into computing"

I thank everybody in this forum and I believe my choice for linux is right regardless what the others(windows believers)say.

CatDude

Re: Thank you Catdude!

#26 Post by CatDude »

puppyiso wrote: Catdude, with your kind instruction, I know know how simple it was and I am so grateful to you.
You're very welcome mate, we all need a little guidance occasionally.

CatDude

vtpup

Memory Requirements of MediaPup

#27 Post by vtpup »

Looks like I overestimated the memory requirements. As an experiment I just ran MediaPup in pfix=ram on my hopped up Thinkpad 600e, which has 428 megabytes onboard, not 1 Gig. It opened right up!

I think the reason it worked was that I have a swap partition. Didn't realize that Puppy could adjust -- and assumed that a 322 megabyte LiveCD would need to uncompress into a much larger ram space.

Anyway, looks like Mediapup will run in under 512 megabytes using pfix=ram, though you probably need a swap file to do it. 1 Gig is NOT needed, though certainly nice to have.

I'll edit the first post re. RAM requirements.

I might try experimenting with even less memory.

I'm also assuming a full install doesn't need much memory at all, since it runs on HD. --

Also pfix=noram runs off the CD and has minimal memory requirements. If installed to a memory stick, it should be pretty quick with pfix=noram.

nancy reagan

Videopup

#28 Post by nancy reagan »

Maybe it would be of some help to have a look at papos' vediopup ?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1863207205

vtpup

#29 Post by vtpup »

Didn't see that one. Interesting that we made a parallel effort.

Your Vediopup puplet, from the sound of it wouldn't have helped me when I started because my primary focus was getting ManDVD to run in a stock 4.1.2 retro puppy.

My other program additions such as Mplayer, Kino, DVDSlideshow and Avidimux came as I tried to resolve ManDVD's dependencies and then edit videos and audio to add to it. No single program seemed to have everything I needed.

I included Wine because I'm not a fan of Gimp, despite the reqirement for it in ManDVD. At the time, I was working on adding my old standby Picture Publisher 10 to Wine, but still don't know if it will succeed. It's a commercial program, so it will never be in MediaPup. I did include Pixia under Wine as an alternative photo editor.

I also tried to run Winff under Wine, as well as natively under Puppy. With no joy yet -- it needs a recompile with Lazarus to run in Puppy. And it doesn't run out of the box in Wine, so no point in pursuing that win direction further. I'll probably compile Winff at some point when I deal with installing Lazarus and all that junk, unless somebody else beats me to it (please, please!)

Probably the clearest difference between these two pupplets, besides the versions of things like wine, puppy base, and BigBass'es full mplayer in Mediapup is that the focus of MediaPup is not on rendering and animation but slideshow and video to DVD authoring. Thus Blender is not present, and ManDVD is the central piece from which the other capabilities expand. K3b and K9copy, and a full mencoder are important to what I needed to do.

Anyway, welcome to the forums nancy reagan. I see this is your first post. Blender folks will undoubtedly find your redirection helpful.

Artie

#30 Post by Artie »

I'm trying to download but the first link is exceedingly slow and the second doesn't work at all. I'm in Norway and average download speed is right now about 4K. Are there any other mirrors carrying Mediapup? Thanks for any answer.

Artie

vtpup

#31 Post by vtpup »

Hi Artie,

I think timing is probably everything -- maybe try it at a different time from the first site? That's Caneri's puppylinux.ca site.

The other thing we could try is a bittorrent upload. I've never tried that -- anybody have any pointers for me fo how-to and where-to?

I could try to upload it tonight.....

Artie

#32 Post by Artie »

Hi vtpup, I used pwget and this morning I had gotten the whole file intact. I think torrent would be a good idea as I sometimes download small torrent files with Opera. However, since I'm running from a memory stick in RAM whenever I try to download big torrent files in Opera I run out of RAM although I have 700 and something. My pc is on most of the day anyway so I wouldn't mind sharing some Puppy files via torrent but I have no idea how to go about that safely so I don't expose the whole pc to everyone else. I'm on ADSL. Download is about 4MB but upload is either 64 or 128k. Not sure how to check that or if that is good enough for torrents. Maybe someone else could shed some light on the use of pctorrent and pccreatetorrent for us? Is anyone in the Puppy community using torrent at all?

Artie

vtpup

#33 Post by vtpup »

Good artie, glad to hear you got it.

Yes I would also like to know where and how to upload it to a good torrent.

Also, maybe it was difficult earlier to download from pupplinux.ca because I had just added a description of it to puppylinux.org with a screenshot, and it came up as the "latest" puplet in the puplet list.

Maybe a lot of people tried to download it at the same time?

Artie

#34 Post by Artie »

Double post.

Artie
Last edited by Artie on Mon 16 Feb 2009, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Artie

#35 Post by Artie »

I now have installed mediapup as a frugal install alongside latest Debian on my hard disk. It was very easy to edit the boot sequence in grub, I just opened the text file as administrator in Debian and put in the required lines. I have checked out some of the programs and there's a bit of a learning curve so I will be testing them out when I can find time to teach myself how to use them. Will get back to you if something is amiss. Please keep up the good work, keep mediapup updated and feel free to add some more interesting media programs. Thanks for the pup! :)

Artie

adam933

#36 Post by adam933 »

Sure would like to try MediaPup, but can't download it.

The mirror is completely useless unless you enjoy typing 3 numbers into a box endlessly.

techtype

Mediapup mirror

#37 Post by techtype »

adam933 wrote:Sure would like to try MediaPup, but can't download it.

The mirror is completely useless unless you enjoy typing 3 numbers into a box endlessly.
Here are some alternate links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/199728216/M ... 2.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/199701431/M ... 2.z01.html

You need both files as this is a two part zip file.

adam933

#38 Post by adam933 »

Thank you Techtype.

I very much appreciate your help.

vtpup

#39 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Techtype!

First post edited to add mirror.

pavolo

MediaPup

#40 Post by pavolo »

I have (re-)uploaded the ISO file to Megaupload . You can download it in
one go , as a free user, here:

You can click on the following link to download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5G709VAB

Btw, I am trying it ATM, and it's just GREAT !

Congratulations to the Author

Paolo

PS: The link AFAIK expires after 21 days without download , so spread
the news amongst your Puppy-loving friends .....