3dfx Voodoo Banshee not working

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
remussatala

3dfx Voodoo Banshee not working

#1 Post by remussatala »

3dfx Voodoo Banshee working in xorg in Puppy 3.01 bat not working in Puppy 4.0 :cry:

magerlab

#2 Post by magerlab »

it looks strange to me because i used this card ion my old computer both in puppy 3 and dingo without any problem

sbrof

#3 Post by sbrof »

I am having a similar issue. I can't get Xorg to work with a 3dfx voodoo 3 card. I can use Xorg with my onboard video card but when I put in voodoo 3 card Xorg will not load and I must default to Xversa.

I am a total n00b in Linux and have found Puppy to be very easy and accessible tool to learn more about Linux through but I can't quite figure this one out.

I have Rerun the Xorgwizard without success. I am running Puppy Linux .41, Pentium II 400 Mhz, 384 MB Ram, 5 gig HD. Thanks!

issarad

#4 Post by issarad »

I'm in the same boat as you all with my newest puppy PC. It's got a crappy onboard vid card, and I want to use a Voodoo 3 with it, but I cannot get Xorg to work and that's putting a damper on things.

Any ideas what needs to be done to get these 3DFX cards working properly with Xorg, please?

Evil20071

#5 Post by Evil20071 »

Total shot in the dark from trying to compile the new Xorg server, but...

There could be missing libs/drivers/firmware in your installations that are needed to support the video cards you are using. Here, Let me Google that for you. It would seem Puppy isn't the only Linux Distro that this affects. Might look at the Red Hat forums to see what they are doing for it.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

sbrof

#6 Post by sbrof »

As a follow up, I am testing out the Barebones-pup based on 4.1.2 now and Xorg seems be working.

I am not 100% sure about which version is currently running but the initial setup didn't kick me out of Xorg with an error like what happened in 4.1.1. This could be due to the new 4.1.2 puppy base or something to do with Barebones itself.

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/pup ... es-pup-412

Any way I can confirm I am running Xorg and somehow it didn't default Xvesa.

Bunto Skiffler

#7 Post by Bunto Skiffler »

Hello, hope you are doing well. My own 3dfx Banshee doesn't work with the "tdfx" driver. I am using the "vesa" driver instead. I'm using the latest Puppy Linux distro.

gl