Can boot from USB on Laptop, but no internal pointing device

Booting, installing, newbie
lensv

Can boot from USB on Laptop, but no internal pointing device

#1 Post by lensv »

Hi again,

I have managed to make my Usb memory stick bootable with Puppy now, but I cant get the internal pointing device working when I use it to boot my laptop. It works fine with an external mouse, but I'd like to be able to use the "glidepad" instead of the mouse (I don't always carry around on a mouse). Does anyone know how to make the laptop's internal poiting device work with Puppy?

Best regads,

/LS

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Probably no help:
this guy's laptop touchpad works, but not a mouse. :?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

:) yes, Flash, I was chuckling, the other thread has the opposite problem!

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

I noticed that also. If i get a chance, i will try this on my thinkpad in the next week.

If I find out anything really useful, i will post it.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#5 Post by Guest »

Yes... Please do! :roll:

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#6 Post by nduanetesh »

Any chance that you're using a USB mouse?

When you first run puppy, and it asks what kind of mouse you have, if you tell it USB the chances are very good that your touchpad will not work (because touchpads are generally seen as ps/2 devices). If this is the case and you'd like to reconfigure puppy to work on your touchpad, use the instructions in the post Flash linked to, to remove your mouse config file, and you will be able to set up your mouse again. Select ps/2 this time.

As far as I know, there is no way to run a USB mouse and a touchpad at the same time and have both work. Anyone else have any input on that?

ND

#7 Post by Guest »

I have tried with both USB and PS2, but the touchpad doesn't work in any case :(

mortlocl

you may be better of with the mouse

#8 Post by mortlocl »

The pad works on my Acer Aspire. I find it easy to accidently press a little too hard when moving the cursor and open menus, etc that I don't want when in a hurry. I've changed the setting so it's not so bad but I think a mouse may be better to control.
mortlocl

danleff

#9 Post by danleff »

I have not gotten a chance to work on my Thinkpad yet. Busy week at the office and my sister just brought over her boyfriend's ailing HP Windows ME PC over for me to look at.

Hmm...maybe install Puppy and tell them it's Windows XP?

I'll try to get to it this weekend. You folks have peaked my curiosity.

P.S. OK, one or the other. I forgot that my Thinpad has one of those legacy ps/2 ports, so I don't have an adapter for the system. But, either the touchpad or USB work, not both.

My Thinkpad has an option in the bios to enable or disable the touchpad. With the pad enabled, it emulates ps/2. The usb mouse does not work, unless I disable the pad in the bios and set Puppy to use a usb mouse.

I'll try to see what happens on my old CTX notebook.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith