Can't boot with GRUB

Booting, installing, newbie
ghostshadow189

Can't boot with GRUB

#1 Post by ghostshadow189 »

I used CD to boot and run Puppy (with pup001 in HDD) . After that , I ran

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

Well, Puppy clearly thinks you have a GRUB that offers a boot to your Puppy partition. And it looks like Puppy thinks GRUB was put on the MBR, where it should take control before XP...

So what we need to know is, is GRUB really on the MBR? Why does it not get control?

It seems like your next step is to make a GRUB boot floppy, if you have not already done that as part of the HD install, and experiment with booting into Puppy from floppy. Hopefully, as you work with that, you will come to have more understanding of what is happening, and we can eventually figure out how to get you a real hard-drive boot.

(I am just learning this myself -- I recommend getting a scrap hard drive, experiment with that, to get familiar with this GRUB/booting stuff.)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Or, more directly, there must be a way to have a look at the first sector of the hard drive, to see if GRUB is really there.

#4 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:Or, more directly, there must be a way to have a look at the first sector of the hard drive, to see if GRUB is really there.
--> How can I know that ?
kethd wrote: So what we need to know is, is GRUB really on the MBR? Why does it not get control?
It seems like your next step is to make a GRUB boot floppy, if you have not already done that as part of the HD install, and experiment with booting into Puppy from floppy.
--> My computer doesnt has floopy disk , so I can

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Well, there's probably an easier way to do it, but this ought to work: boot the CD, choosing option 3 at the boot screen and then not to use the hard drive, then use the "dd" command to copy the contents of the first sector of the hard drive to a file in Puppy and have a look at it. (I haven't used the "dd" program so you're on your own. I saw a recent post describing its use for something similar but I can't find it. Open a console (click on the "console" icon on the desktop) and type "dd --help" for a bit more on how to use dd.)

kethd

inspecting the hard drive boot sector MBR

#6 Post by kethd »

Information here on inspecting the hard drive boot sector MBR:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Sector0
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/hexdumpBASIC