Lighthouse Pup 4.4.2 Final SMP 194M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

Lighthouse Pup 4.4.2 Final SMP 194M

#1 Post by tazoc »

Image Image Image
2009-10-08 There is a newer version at this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 213#349213

2009-09-17 Latest version is 4.4.2f (Final). For details, click here www.lhpup.org. KDE 4.2.4 is an optional SFS add-on.

2009-09-17 KDE-4.2.4-l10n_442.sfs Regions & languages for KDE 4.2.4 (non-US only)

2009.09.12 International keyboard layout fixfor 4.4.2f

2009.08.27 Update1 for Lighthouse Pup 4.4.2 D

2009.08.12 Fixes for LHP412f and 442c on hd or flash drive formatted with Fat32

2009.06.25 Lighthouse Pup 4.1.2 Final optional Mariner SFS (KDE 3.5.10)

Added SearchMonkey, updated Pmusic to 0.7.1 with modified blue theme, pburn to 2.4.1, glibc-solibs to 2.9

Faster JWM is now default window manager, fixed missing icons in JWM and IceWM menus.

Slightly faster bootup when SFS layers have changed.

Mariner SFS: updated KDE apps to work in JWM and IceWM menus

Voyager SFS: Fixed Xscreensavers bug, new KDE4 wallpapers and help files. Updated Really Slick Screensavers to 0.8.2

Updated CompizFusion-0.7.9-1f.sfs: Changed window open effect to Zoom, close effect to Fade, Cube deformation to cylinder, updated c-f tips web page.

* Updated xorgwizard, ATI and nVidia display drivers from Newyearspup02-rc10.

* Re-worked Puppy 4.2's boot menu graphic into blue theme with a photo of Split Point Lighthouse.

* Updated Pmusic to 0.6.5 and new default theme

* rc2update3 (GUIs to enable/disable automount and set global font size.)

* For better performance, restored copy to RAM by default, if fast media and sufficient memory are detected.

* Updated slapt-get (used by Gslapt package manager.) Gslapt now supports the new TXZ Slackware package format and a .txz package can also be opened in Rox-Filer by right-clicking and choosing 'Extract-txz'.

2009.06.06 Mariner and Voyager SFS Packs both updated to version 4rc3

Mariner SFS

* Qps - Qt-based visual process manager, replacement for gPS. Icon autoruns in KDE system tray. Click on icon for full view and management tools.

* Tweaked 3D-Demo to work better with nVidia drivers.

* Restored 'fake transparency' of Conky background in KDE. (KDE wallpaper position must be set to 'Scaled' for proper alignment.)

* Fixed Kscreensaver bug: Kss wouldn't start if Voyager SFS not present

* Fewer icons on default Quicklauncher bar in KDE.

Voyager SFS

* Added QT 4.4.2 and more wallpapers

* Removed Bzflag, Pinball, Gltron and Armagetron Advanced from menus (they won't start--OpenGL error.)

* Disabled a few extra Kscreensavers that didn't work very well.

* More icons on default Quicklauncher bar in KDE.
-------------------------------
2009.5.23 LHP_4.1.2-rc2_update2.pet small update recommended if you have Lighthouse 4.1.2 RC2

2009.5.15 Lighthouse 4.1.2 RC2 Base ISO
What's New: Significant changes for LighthousePup 4.1.2-rc2 - Xorg7.4 and SMP kernel 2.6.28.5 from Newyearspup. SMP is "Symmetric multiprocessing", or multiple CPU/core support. CPUs 1-4 should be visible in conky and htop.

CPU cool & quiet/freq scaling configuration here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443

Up to 40 SFS add-on packs supported.

Try not to mix different versions of LHP Base and Mariner SFS; both should be rc2. The kernel, mksquashfs and display drivers are new. If you have an earlier Mariner SFS, please delete it before booting LHP 4.1.2-rc2. No Xdeltas this time around--they were almost as large as the complete files.

Updated Pmusic to 0.6.1, Conky to 1.6.1

Updated Gslapt, slapt-get and repositories to latest versions

Mariner 4rc2 SFS - updated ATI Catalyst & nVidia drivers, FireFox 3.0.10

Sometimes X gives a blank screen upon starting, wait ~20 seconds and if X hasn't started press Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace then Ctrl+Alt+F1.

KDE has no HAL or KDE media manager but--this is new for LHP4.1.2rc2--all connected drives except CD/DVD are automounted to /mnt during system startup.

Compiz-Fusion SFS eye candy available for KDE. 3 main types of video cards that can run CF; ATI (newer than 7000), Intel (newer than i810) and Nvidia (newer than GeForce2). If you have one of those, install Mariner SFS, logoff to CL, run xorgwizard to set up 3D accelerated drivers for your display adapter. Start KDE and run Kmenu | Settings | 3D-Demo to verify DRI is enabled and test 3D.

If that is successful, you can try CF by downloading Compiz-Fusion-0.7.9-1.sfs and enabling it in Kmenu | Settings | Bootmanager | Choose extra SFS | uncheck 'Ignore above user selection' and be sure your SFS files are in the right-hand pane.

Reboot and (hopefully) CF and Emerald window decorator will start automatically with KDE, and CF icon will be in the system tray; right-click for a boat load of settings. Note: Xscreensavers flicker on my system when used with CF, so I use the KDE Screensavers included in Mariner SFS instead--no flicker. More about CF here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32242 and http://compiz-fusion.org

Development Add-ons (for rc2 or later)

2009.04.07 Lighthouse 4.1.2 RC1 Base ISO - What's New

* Updated Wine to 1.1.18, Flash to 10.0.22.87, ISOMaster to 1.3.5

* Additional options in Xorgwizard display configuration menu

* On first run or boot option 'pfix=ram', prompts to reboot & create pup_save before running Xorgwizard. This should make saving your session very reliable.

* Alsawizard prompts to exit to CL and run 'alsaconf'. GParted wrapper Vista warning updated to suggest using Vista's Disk Management to shrink volume

* Incorporated Gtk-core-update by drummachine to fix FireFox javascript instability

2009.04.07 Mariner and Voyager SFS Packs both updated to version 4c
Image Image
* ATI Catalyst 8.12 display drivers for ATI cards listed here with working Catalyst Control Center tested on Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics, modified this pet by MU. If KDE video is blank when first starting, press <Ctrl> key. Should be fine after that.

* nVidia drivers not tested, available here

* Added XPark theme to Xpenguins for your desktop

* Updated FireFox to 3.08

* Added aRoK smartphone-like SuperKaramba KDE desktop widget to Voyager, shortcut in /Autostart/DisabledItems. Its main feature is the interaction with Amarok player. Also has slideshow, email and CPU activity panels. If menu freezes, press <Ctrl> key.

2009.03.09 Lighthouse 4.1.2 Beta 5 released

You can update your Beta 4 ISO to Beta 5 by downloading the small xdelta3 and a few mouse-clicks. http://www.lhpup.org/download.htm#Start

* Audacious updated to v1.5.1. This fixes playlists that previously would not re-open properly and includes new plug-ins including OSD (on-screen display.) Kudos to Pizzasgood, who put together a slew of packages needed to make it all work.

* Some housekeeping is automated upon login with Pup-Dip-Gui. It cleans Internet cache, (but not your history,) Rox-Filer image thumbnail cache and updates dynamic links (ldconfig.) If you prefer to do these manually, you can move the symlink /Startup/pup-dip-gui to the accompanying DisabledItems folder.

* A few cosmetic updates including one that corrects information displayed during boot up on systems without a Linux-swap partition.

* Wallpaper setter modified to work better with Conky.

* Console-LHP (/usr/bin/rxvt-LHP) has font reduced from 20 to 17.

* New skin 'CompactBlack' for VLC.

2009.03.09 Mariner and Voyager SFS Packs both updated to version 4b5

* In Mariner SFS, expanded LookNFeelMariner Panel with KDE's Update Menus feature.

* Placed Save2Flash on KDE Desktop. This is only needed if your pup-save resides on a USB Flash drive.

* Brought back 3D-Demo graphics benchmark from MU's 3D Control Center.

* More wallpapers in Voyager.

2009.02.20 LighthousePup 4.1.2 Beta 4 Released

Reduced footprint of Lighthouse Base ISO to 198M by moving KDE, Firefox & Java to Mariner SFS. Base still has IceWM, JWM, SeaMonkey & GIMP, plus Audacious, Audacity, VLC, Mplayer & PB Screensaver. (Removed XMMS.)

Now support up to 24 SFS application packs. (From patched init script by Leon Zobec, thank you Leon!) SFS files are highlighted as they are mounted during boot-up. If you use Grub bootloader for LHP 4, add 'max_loop=28' to the end of the 'kernel' line and reboot.

Code: Select all

kernel /vmlinuz max_loop=28
If you boot from CD and want the main file copied to RAM (pfix=copy) just press 'c' <Enter> at the boot menu.

Added more mime-type icons in Rox-Filer. Edit-SFS updated with detailed progress window during mksquashfs operation. Console-LHP updated to aterm with a bit of transparency and larger fonts for those of us with less-than-perfect vision. 8)

Mariner SFS compatibility with official Puppy 4.1.x is much improved. Two Lighthouse Configuration Panels, Standard LookNFeel for Base ISO and an expanded LookNFeel-Mariner. XScreenSavers, extra games and Audacious skins moved to Voyager SFS.

Downloads and more at http://www.lhpup.org or http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/Lighthouse
Bugs:

Xorgwizard, Option 1 gives weird results, Option 2, force vesa, (default) seems to work better.

Slow data transfer via Pnethood. Reportedly common to the 2.6.28.5 kernel from Newyearspup. Internet transfers not affected.

Menus sometimes missing apps, workaround: Menu | Window Manager | Refresh Menus, then Restart IceWM/JWM (also in Window Manager menu.)

[Edit: Alsa Wizard prompts accordingly as of RC1.] Alsa wizard must be run by logging out of X to command line and typing 'alsaconf'.

(In Mariner) [Edit: new for LHP4.1.2rc2--all connected drives except CD/DVD are automounted to /mnt during system startup.] KDE does not have HAL/Automount/udev or desktop sharing. Use Puppy's Pmount to mount/unmount drives.

Copy & Paste from Geany to Console-LHP only works if you use a clipboard tool to select what you just copied. By default Klipper in KDE and Glipper in IceWm are autostarted.

Note: boot option pfix=fsck checks all ext2/3 partitions, not just the one with your pup_save.

Post your screenshots or links--if you'd like me to include them in the LighthousePup Gallery lhpup.org/gallery
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Thu 08 Oct 2009, 22:58, edited 49 times in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

What a really nice puppy this is - runs nice on my ram challenged 6yr old
laptop (91mb ram, 1ghz celeron proc. (250mb swap) frugal install)

Still use LH215ce as well - that was the puppy that made me realise that
XP was not really needed anymore.

Didn't try LH301g yet - felt it might need a bit more ram.

Many thanks for all your time and effort producing LightHouse.

Very best regards - Ray

tazoc

Success with 91mb ram, 1ghz celeron proc. (250mb swap)

#3 Post by tazoc »

Hi Ray,
You're welcome and thank you for your support. :D Although I haven't had a chance yet to test this build on a variety of memory configurations I did tweak the init script as best I could. I'm especially impressed by your success given the RAM spec on your machine. That's a tribute to Puppy's developers as well. Good job!
Take care,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc,

You've outdone yourself with this new Lighthouse. Impressive, there is a real improvement in boot and shutdown times and I was pleased that I could add my favorite applications, Bibletime, Amsn, Firefox, and Thunderbird without any problems.

Thanks again for another outstanding derivative.

Jim

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Looks great, but does it need extra RAM (my machine's "only" got 256 MB) to run the mariner.sfs file as well, over and above what it uses for Lighthouse itself?

tazoc

#6 Post by tazoc »

@Jim1911,
Thank you, that's good news indeed.

@Colonel Panic,
Good question! If you have a linux-swap partition, Mariner should work satisfactorily on 256M RAM. Type 'lhp pfix=copy,fsck' at the boot menu to load the main file into RAM and to check the pup_save for errors. By default LHP does not copy-to-RAM, nor e2fsck to reduce boot time off the CD-ROM, so try with and without pfix=copy and decide which you prefer. Even easier, to just copy, type 'c' at the boot menu!

Without a linux-swap (you can create one with GParted,) LHP may determine a copy-to-RAM won't fit, so it may run more slowly, although it should be OK at least with IceWM or JWM, if not KDE. It's easy switch between them with the Log Out panel. Let me know how it works out for you. I've only begun testing this build in VirtualBox to get an idea what the RAM requirements are, so your experience might be useful for others.
Hope that helps,
TazOC

Colonel Panic

#7 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, it looks great. I'm having lockups at the moment unfortunately so I can't be sure that even base Puppy will work reliably on my computer, and hence I'm disinclined to use anything too demanding of system resources (I'm posting this from Puppy 2.17 with no extras).

However, the last copy of Lighthouse I had ended up as a demonstration CD for people in the local community centre who hadn't previously seen Linux, so maybe I'll do the same with this one.

tom4jesus

#8 Post by tom4jesus »

Tazoc

I am loving the new lighthouse. I really like what you have done with the SFS files and how it makes it so much more adaptable to different systems. I have it on my older laptop as a frugal install, and also on here where I am currently running the regular version with the mariner sfs and voyager sfs loaded off of a thumb drive on my newer home computer with 2gb of ram and windows vista with no swap, and it is running great, lightning fast.

I have a question that does not relate directly to lighthouse but more to puppy in general.
I have a creative SB X-FI sound card on here and running the alsa sound wizard and it does not work.
I tried both the sb8 pro and the sb16 settings on the alsa wizard and it goes through the set up as if it works but I get no "woof" at the end and no sound works.
I suspect I would need the correct driver for the x-fi card to install on here but don't have any idea where I would get it for Linux or how to install it so my question really is do you know if there is a pet for it and if so where I can get it?
I don't have a lot of puppy/Linux knowledge to compile one but I am learning.
If you don't know I am thinking of putting up a regular thread to inquire on the forum but thought I would ask here first since I am trying to get it working from within the new lighthouse.

Thanks,
Tom

Sheep

#9 Post by Sheep »

Greetings.

Well, I FINALLY managed to get LHPup installed and running (mucho grub problems), and I have to say that I quite like it.

OK, so the toolbars were a little cluttered for my liking, but that was soon sorted out.

Running KDE at the moment, and that seems to be OK.

Just one question - anything I`m supposed to be doing in order to get the Opera and Open office .sfs files to run at all?

Mark

tom4jesus

#10 Post by tom4jesus »

Sheep wrote: Just one question - anything I`m supposed to be doing in order to get the Opera and Open office .sfs files to run at all?

Mark
I am fairly new to puppy so i hope I did not miss anything, but here is how to do it. If anyone else has anything to add please do.

(any sfs files you want to use will work in this same manner with a frugal install)
And please note this is assuming you have a frugal install.

1. Download the sfs files
2. Put them into your /mnt/home directory.
3. Then go to Menu==>System==>BootManager configure bootup
4. In the "puppy boot manager" click the top right computer chip icon "choose what sfs files to to load at bootup"
5. uncheck the bottom tick "ignore above user selection, load all with '_412' in file name", so then you can load any sfs
6. Choose the ones you want in the left column and add them to the right column and then reboot.

They should all load after that and integrate into you menus.
If you are adding more then 3 sfs files add 'max_loop=28' to the end of the 'kernel' line and reboot,as outlined by tazoc above.

Tom

tazoc

#11 Post by tazoc »

@Tom,
Thank you for your comments. I don't know how to get your sound card detected. I would post at the Audio section of this forum: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=29

@Mark,
Tom's idea should work, assuming you reboot after placing the new SFS in /mnt/home. You might need to reboot again after making changes in Puppy Bootmanager.

Note: SFS that end in something other than _412 (e.g., _411) may not show up, so rename accordingly or make a symlink and reboot.

Note also KDE menus sometimes don't add new entries until you do the following:
Click KMenu | Settings | Menu Updating Tool | Scan | Apply. Don't worry about selecting the extra items it finds; most are already there.

@All,
I'm thinking about reducing the font size in Console-LHP from 20 to 17. This is in a script located at /usr/bin/rxvt-LHP. Available terminus font sizes are: 12,14,16,17,20,24,28,32. I increased it from 14 to 20 for LHP4b4 but I think I went overboard a bit. :wink:

I also found a minor bug when booting without a linux-swap partition displays strange output. Will fix that for the next Beta. Just a cosmetic item--it still boots okay.
-TazOC

Sheep

#12 Post by Sheep »

tom4jesus wrote: If you are adding more then 3 sfs files add 'max_loop=28' to the end of the 'kernel' line and reboot,as outlined by tazoc above.

Tom
Aah, I KNEW I`d forgotten to do something
tazoc wrote: SFS that end in something other than _412 (e.g., _411) may not show up, so rename accordingly or make a symlink and reboot.
OK, i`ll try that for the Open Office 3.0 .sfs if the adding of the bit to the "Kernel" line dont work

Thanks for the help guys

Mark

Sheep

#13 Post by Sheep »

Right, sorted.

Actually now trying things out running IceWM, as KDE decided to start throwing a wobbly.

So far, it`s so fast it`s silly.

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

@tazoc;

I've tried it now and it looks good but unfortunately I wasn't able to create a savefile from it (a problem I've had with other Puppy derivatives based on Dingo).

I may try it again when I've got more time, especiallly when I want to try out the Mariner .sfs file, but for now (and sorry if this seems negative) I think I'm better off sticking with vanilla 2.17 as it fits my needs and seems to work well, i.e., does all the "basics" properly.

With all the lockups I've been having, to simply be able to get online without a hitch and get what I want done matters a lot. Sorry if this seems negative after all the work you've put in.

tazoc

#15 Post by tazoc »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've tried it now and it looks good but unfortunately I wasn't able to create a savefile from it (a problem I've had with other Puppy derivatives based on Dingo).
If you decide to try again, try logging off to the command line instead of normal shutdown. Then type 'reboot' <Enter> and save your session to a file. I've found that sometimes that works, especially if you've just done a clean boot 'puppy pfix=ram'. If you still have no video, just keep hitting <Enter> a few times and Puppy will go ahead and save the session, defaulting to a 512M pup_save.2fs.
Colonel Panic wrote:With all the lockups I've been having, to simply be able to get online without a hitch and get what I want done matters a lot. Sorry if this seems negative after all the work you've put in.
No problem, thanks for trying LighthousePup. I wonder if the lockups could be from your CPU overheating or maybe faulty RAM or power supply... You can type 'memtest' at boot menu for system memory diagnostic.
Take care,
TazOC

Colonel Panic

#16 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes. I'm guessing it's a CPU problem as it's mostly happened when the CPU is working hard, but it could be the power supply instead. It's been up for just over an hour now with no problems, so I don't want to tempt fate by dwelling on it...

I almost certainly will give Lighthouse another go soon, using your tip to create a savefile.

Best,

CP .

tom4jesus

#17 Post by tom4jesus »

I posted what I thought was a bug but found it to me my mistake.....never mind.
:oops:
Tom

Bligh

#18 Post by Bligh »

Wow, just got it, the system I've been using for about four years for dl and burning iso's became corrupted so I have been transitioning. I've just taken a peek at it so far, but it's fast starting, runnung, and shutting down. The skittish icons will take some getting used to, haven't gotten to kde yet. Looks Great. So much new stuff to learn. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Cheers

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. A brief update; I found an old backup copy of Dingo 4.00 and used that as my startup pup_save.2fs file. It works well especially with Rox-filer disabled (I don't need it with Wbar working).

Some great wallpapers too. I haven't managed to try the Mariner.sfs file yet but I will soon.

So thanks and well done for a good Puppy. :)

Colonel Panic

#20 Post by Colonel Panic »

Extra update; I don't want to tempt fate by saying this but my machine has stopped locking up since I've been running this one. I'm happy to put that down to Tazoc's software engineering skills in putting Lighthouse 4.12 together!

Needless to say, considering all the lockups I had before I'm sticking with it for the time being.