Puppy 4.2 RC1 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

ttuuxxx

Re: Successful USB Boot with 4.2 RC?

#61 Post by ttuuxxx »

jakfish wrote:Using unetbootin and XP and USB flash drive, I can make a bootable 4.2 BETA Puppy. I can not do the same with 4.2 RC.

When booting, I get a choice of Default or Puppy. Neither choice will boot.

Was my RC download faulty? Can anyone else replicate this error?

Jake
Hi Jake did you check the md5 sum?
d3ca687474d3b9b6ad9f352e87581381 puppy-4.2beta2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

if you don't know how to check it open a terminal where the iso is.
right click, in the white space where the puppy iso is and select
window/terminal here
then type
md5sum puppy-4.2beta2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

or open a terminal from your desktop and type the full path
md5sum /root/puppy-4.2beta2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso <---thats if the iso is located in root

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jakfish

#62 Post by jakfish »

Md5 sum checks out, but to sure, I downloaded anew from puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/ (previously, I had downloaded from puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-rc1/ )

Still can't get a boot from a USB stick.

Jake

liberomureddu

#63 Post by liberomureddu »

First of all,
Congratulation to all the people doing the hard job!

Few things:

About streamtuner/alsaplayer

1) I couldn't how what streamripper works: it opens a terminal window labeled with streamripper and then nothing happens. I couldn't understand if and where the stream was recorded.

2) In streamtuner, every time I double click on a radio, it opens a new instance of alsaplayer. Is there a way to just change this behavior so that the radio changes on the same instance of alsaplayer? Is very easy to get the desktop full of copies of it while tuning in the right channel! (and it looks to me quite memory consuming too)

3) (but not that important since I'm not a developer :-) ), what I really liked in puppy the first time I tried it, is that there was 1 media player. Personally, I find confusing (for new users especially) to have three different things that can do similar things.

Widgets
2) Weather is not appearing after boot, it is selected, but I need to reapply on order to see it.
3) Those widgets are great and thanks a lot to Zigbert (Takk så meget!) and the others for this (and other apps too). Anyway I couldn't find an easy way to modify the Valåmoen location (ie. without checking on the forum).

The digital clock on the down right corner:
When the last digit is 1, all the other numbers and icons get moved on the right, when the digit is 2 (etc) they stay in the same position. while not important, it makes a kind of unstable feeling.

Last, I'd personally like an easy way to get back to the previous desktop appereance of puppy 4.1. I guessed it's possible, but it would be nice to have the various part that were used in 4.1 labeled "puppy 4.1" or similar, or, even better, a simple solution to switch between new and old layout (if it's there, couldn't find, sorry for that).
Ah, I think I found the way to get back to the previous look, however, the folders icon in / are still with the new style (see screenshot).

Ciao
libero
Attachments
folder-icons.png
(12.88 KiB) Downloaded 1332 times

ttuuxxx

#64 Post by ttuuxxx »

liberomureddu wrote:First of all,
Congratulation to all the people doing the hard job!

Few things:

About streamtuner/alsaplayer

1) I couldn't how what streamripper works: it opens a terminal window labeled with streamripper and then nothing happens. I couldn't understand if and where the stream was recorded. Streamripper is a addon program that will be in the repo, Well If WhoDo decides, But you can fin it in the forum under software. It shows that as default.

2) In streamtuner, every time I double click on a radio, it opens a new instance of alsaplayer. Is there a way to just change this behavior so that the radio changes on the same instance of alsaplayer? Is very easy to get the desktop full of copies of it while tuning in the right channel! (and it looks to me quite memory consuming too) Maybe when HairyWill gets back he can have a look at it, Thats the default way and a wrapper would have to made, Alsa player takes around 1/5 the resources of Gxine out of the box, so you can have 5 windows open and you'll just equaling gxine, Sad but true.

3) (but not that important since I'm not a developer :-) ), what I really liked in puppy the first time I tried it, is that there was 1 media player. Personally, I find confusing (for new users especially) to have three different things that can do similar things.
-Gxine is the movie player, Its hard for most to play Music cd's on it, and it does a bad job with audio streams
-AlsaPlayer Plays mp3's, plus other audio formats and Cd's with 1 click on the main gui, also it plays audio streams very smooth and takes a lot less resources than Gxine, extends laptop batteries.
-PMedia- well that just plays mp3's, Some reason it bogs down my pc mouse and makes my pc run like crap, It doesn't shut off when its closed and should be fixed. Other than that its great for older pc's to play mp3's.

Widgets
2) Weather is not appearing after boot, it is selected, but I need to reapply on order to see it.
3) Those widgets are great and thanks a lot to Zigbert (Takk så meget!) and the others for this (and other apps too). Anyway I couldn't find an easy way to modify the Valåmoen location (ie. without checking on the forum).

The digital clock on the down right corner:
When the last digit is 1, all the other numbers and icons get moved on the right, when the digit is 2 (etc) they stay in the same position. while not important, it makes a kind of unstable feeling.

Last, I'd personally like an easy way to get back to the previous desktop appereance of puppy 4.1. I guessed it's possible, but it would be nice to have the various part that were used in 4.1 labeled "puppy 4.1" or similar, or, even better, a simple solution to switch between new and old layout (if it's there, couldn't find, sorry for that).
Ah, I think I found the way to get back to the previous look, however, the folders icon in / are still with the new style (see screenshot).

Ciao
libero
Hey did you try the Icewm? you can get to it by your menu/shutdow/switch to icewm
ttuuxxx

zigbert

#65 Post by zigbert »

aragon
I think your shutdown dialog should be packed as a standard app. Then Ptray, or a menu-item could call it. I made the one-click-power-off because I personally like it better than dialogs. If you pack it, Warren will decide what shows up by default in the menu, and in ptray.

liberomureddu wrote:2) Weather is not appearing after boot, it is selected, but I need to reapply on order to see it.
This requires internet connection. I guess it works after reboot with a wired network. But including this one as default is Warrens work. I don't think the weather should be default. - But that's me.

pa_mcclamrock wrote:PETget still takes far too long on the "updating menus" stage when installing or uninstalling. (EDIT: For some reason, this appears to be true only before you create a pup_save file and reboot--which I just did. Then I installed a couple of .PETs, and "updating menus" only took a few seconds, as it should!)
Yes, this is the downside of the new fixmenus script. But I don't think fixmenus is the really problem here. Petget is a very simple package manager, and misses the possibility to choose several packages, - and then install all together. Then fixmenus script will run once, instead of X times. In my eyes an upgraded petget manager would please everyone.

davesurrey wrote:1. Select Desktop>Ptray utility bar.
Select either left or right tray.
Show tray, then hide tray.
Exit from Ptray utility bar.
A small Blinky window appears at top left corner.
It happens when Ptray executes the command 'jvm -restart'.

tasmod wrote:There seems to be a permissions problem with WorldTime in Pwidgets.
fixed

ttuuxxx wrote:-PMedia- well that just plays mp3's, Some reason it bogs down my pc mouse and makes my pc run like crap, It doesn't shut off when its closed and should be fixed. Other than that its great for older pc's to play mp3's.

Code: Select all

# pmusic -h
Supported formats (with working alsa and ffmpeg):
\.aiff|\.aac|\.ape|\.au|\.flac|\.gsm|\.m4a|\.mp3|\.mp4|\.ogg|\.ra|\.shn|\.wav|\.wma

ttuuxxx

#66 Post by ttuuxxx »

zigbert wrote:aragon
I think your shutdown dialog should be packed as a standard app. Then Ptray, or a menu-item could call it. I made the one-click-power-off because I personally like it better than dialogs. If you pack it, Warren will decide what shows up by default in the menu, and in ptray. So you support ripoffs, That tells a lot about a indvidual :?

Supported formats (with working alsa and ffmpeg):
\.aiff|\.aac|\.ape|\.au|\.flac|\.gsm|\.m4a|\.mp3|\.mp4|\.ogg|\.ra|\.shn|\.wav|\.wma
<--- But what does it actually support when you burn a puppy iso and bootup, without adding anything, What does it support out of the box. By your text above you state .wav files, then why doesn't it play music cd's?And why does it slow my pc right down But mplayer,vlc,gxine doesn't .

ttuuxxx

aragon

#67 Post by aragon »

zigbert wrote:aragon
I think your shutdown dialog should be packed as a standard app. Then Ptray, or a menu-item could call it. I made the one-click-power-off because I personally like it better than dialogs. If you pack it, Warren will decide what shows up by default in the menu, and in ptray.
ok, will do so.

@ whodo
if you want to include, i've uploaded a pet to page 1 of this thread.

aragon

liberomureddu

#68 Post by liberomureddu »

Streamripper is a addon program that will be in the repo, Well If WhoDo decides, But you can fin it in the forum under software. It shows that as default.

Hi and thanks for your answer.
Just my feedback (from an user quite expert in audio stuff),
- I understand is an addon program, but from a new user point of view it's just a cool but broken feature.. Maybe it could be changed in the preferences with ffmpeg

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "stream-address" -ab 128 -ar 44100 my-stream.mp3
Just tried from terminal, it works. Didn't tried with streamtuner, though.

- Well, Pmusic can play wav for sure (as other formats), I've been using quite much when I was checking the master file for a recording I finished 2 weeks ago before uploading to my server... Main problem I see is the scrubbing, or seeking, but then it forces you to listen the music and not jump here and there! But it's simple and clear (but with few problems).
- Gxine, I had really few streams (well, one) that didn't work with it, especially with MU's script for asx, (btw, they don't work either with WMP under windows, checked today.
- Alsaplayer is a nice app, really, and it works well with streamtuner, for sure.

But my point is that one good software for everything would be a good solution. I liked gxine and puppy because it just worked, instead of getting mad like in ubuntu and then, with experience, just install vlc and solve the issues. In puppy there are not issues, but it's a little confusing, especially from a new user coming from win (not my case, but I'm testing with other people :-).

Ciao
Libero

[post edited for no reason....]

liberomureddu

#69 Post by liberomureddu »

zigbert wrote:
liberomureddu wrote:2) Weather is not appearing after boot, it is selected, but I need to reapply on order to see it.
This requires internet connection. I guess it works after reboot with a wired network. But including this one as default is Warrens work. I don't think the weather should be default. - But that's me.
I had working connection, but I didn't reboot, (I decided to test things as much as they appear on the live cd, to get the first impressions).
Then it should maybe removed: when I tried to play with the widgets I found then that it was already selected, so that it looked not working properly.
ciao

pa_mcclamrock

#70 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

zigbert wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:PETget still takes far too long on the "updating menus" stage when installing or uninstalling. (EDIT: For some reason, this appears to be true only before you create a pup_save file and reboot--which I just did. Then I installed a couple of .PETs, and "updating menus" only took a few seconds, as it should!)
Yes, this is the downside of the new fixmenus script. But I don't think fixmenus is the really problem here. Petget is a very simple package manager, and misses the possibility to choose several packages, - and then install all together. Then fixmenus script will run once, instead of X times. In my eyes an upgraded petget manager would please everyone.
Um . . . let me get done with Remaster Express for Puppy 4.2 first, OK? :lol:
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

ttuuxxx

#71 Post by ttuuxxx »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
zigbert wrote:
Um . . . let me get done with Remaster Express for Puppy 4.2 first, OK? :lol:
Pa your back great
If you go back to ##CUPS vimpulse is back and will help to fix the CUPS issue
ttuuxxx

pa_mcclamrock

#72 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

ttuuxxx wrote:Can you please reboot up clean puppy4.2 RC1 (puppy pfix=ram) and try this fix I put together [ . . . ]
It does appear to work (i.e., I could print with no manual permission-tweaking), although it changes the permissions on /dev/lp0 to 666 (no execute) instead of 777 (execute) as they originally were, and as /dev/lp1 always is. Is there a reason for that?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

ttuuxxx

#73 Post by ttuuxxx »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Can you please reboot up clean puppy4.2 RC1 (puppy pfix=ram) and try this fix I put together [ . . . ]
It does appear to work (i.e., I could print with no manual permission-tweaking), although it changes the permissions on /dev/lp0 to 666 (no execute) instead of 777 (execute) as they originally were, and as /dev/lp1 always is. Is there a reason for that?
well that was the way Patriot had his fix explained, I could change the 666 to 777 if you think that would be better?
But like I said the Cups person is back on chat and really would like to talk to you about it, So it could be fixed from CUPS itself for other distros also that has the problem, When I did a search on google Ubuntu has similar problems all the way back to 2005.
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#74 Post by ttuuxxx »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Here's version 2 where /dev/lp0 gets 777 and /dev/lp1 gets 777
could you tell me how that one works?
thanks for your help, it will help out a lot of others also :)
ttuuxxx
Attachments
Cups-fix-2.pet
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

darrelljon

Re: Not fixed: Ghostscript: ESP 8.15.2

#75 Post by darrelljon »

Greatnessguru wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:... Plus I don't think it even mentions
Which ghostscript is being used,
only the cups version and thats 100% new and
the same with GutenPrint, and Foomatic.
ttuuxxx
Ok. I'm not a coder, or a lawyer (thank goodness!),
but maybe some others here can help out with
ideas about what to call it.

SeaMonkey and Firefox have similar issues with their
Trademarked names, etc.,
and so are called different things in some distros
when they are customized, and not the Stock releases.

I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea, as I was,
about what was coming with Puppy Linux 4.2.

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox
Inwood IA USA
Hi, using trademarks never seems to have been a problem in Puppy (Mozilla Inc. have never complained). However, if you're concerned with free software, then an unbranded version of SeaMonkey is available, it is called Iceape. Alternatively a more intuitive renaming of SeaMonkey in Puppy would simply be to call it "Internet Browser". While we're on the subject of browsers what happened to Firepup being included?

ttuuxxx

Re: Not fixed: Ghostscript: ESP 8.15.2

#76 Post by ttuuxxx »

darrelljon wrote:
Thanks,
Eddie Maddox
Inwood IA USA
Hi, using trademarks never seems to have been a problem in Puppy (Mozilla Inc. have never complained). However, if you're concerned with free software, then an unbranded version of SeaMonkey is available, it is called Iceape. Alternatively a more intuitive renaming of SeaMonkey in Puppy would simply be to call it "Internet Browser". While we're on the subject of browsers what happened to Firepup being included?[/quote]

FirePup is around 3MB larger than this release, So size is one of the issues, Plus this is the latest version. I also have the print screen working for the first time in seamonkey in a long time. It was 1 file that was crashing Seamonkey, so once I removed it, it worked, I actually figured out a fix for it, I don't know about you, but I was impressed, LOL
oh well Firepup was in one alpha release and will be in the repo which is nice.
ttuuxxx

trapster

#77 Post by trapster »

Nice job guys!
Boots fine, looks nice.
Found my netgear card without ndiswrapper for the first time!
Though... Pwireless froze when I chose to save profile without a profile name(?). Then using the menu bar, I chose Pprocess to kill Pwireless and laptop froze. Had to kill it with the power button.

First boot found my 3 other pup_save files. I chose 0, for no save file.
Wanted to create a new save file so I rebooted. It rebooted without asking to save. Got a message of "session not saved"

Chose "0" again on the reboot. Thought maybe poweroff would get me a save file. No dice and it hung at powering down with the same message of "session not saved".

Any way to get a new save file without shutting down? Some new menu option I missed?
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

PaulBx1

#78 Post by PaulBx1 »

I guess the automatic pupsave backup didn't get in, eh? At least I don't see any mention here of it, or in the wiki pages (I had actually put this in the wish list there, but now I don't see it any more).

ttuuxxx

#79 Post by ttuuxxx »

PaulBx1 wrote:I guess the automatic pupsave backup didn't get in, eh? At least I don't see any mention here of it, or in the wiki pages (I had actually put this in the wish list there, but now I don't see it any more).
Do you have a link?

ttuuxxx

#80 Post by ttuuxxx »

ttuuxxx wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Here's version 2 where /dev/lp0 gets 777 and /dev/lp1 gets 777
could you tell me how that one works?
thanks for your help, it will help out a lot of others also :)
ttuuxxx
Can I please get a response if this 2nd Cups update does work?
People are so quick to point out errors, but they are sure slow to help and report back if things are fixed, I don't mind helping but this is starting to drag me down, Plus with Program stealer and the guy who doesn't care how his programs preforms, I'm just about ready to throw the towel in with this 4.2 project.
ttuuxxx