1.0.7a Xorg success with several video cards

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Marv

1.0.7a Xorg success with several video cards

#1 Post by Marv »

So far, Xorg is batting 1000 for me. I've installed on the following pretty ratty video cards at 1024x758 76 Hz refresh:
Pine SIS 6236 based AGP card
neomagic chipset in an IBM i1400 thinkpad
Intel 815E integrated video (never got beyond 800x600 before)
ATI rage pro 128 PCI and AGP cards

Xorgwizard generally gets the setup correct with two tweaks usually required that it sounds like are already being ironed out. Some but not all of my monitors wind up with an extra line for horizontal refresh in the "monitor" section with values of xxxxxx 0.0. I remove this line. Also, some systems wind up with a Screen 1 line in the "serverlayout" section and object to that line. I tweak it out when needed.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Xorgwizard generally gets the setup correct with two tweaks usually required that it sounds like are already being ironed out. Some but not all of my monitors wind up with an extra line for horizontal refresh in the "monitor" section with values of xxxxxx 0.0. I remove this line.
That's a bug in the Xorg auto-probe of the monitor.
Can you kindly confirm something -- I have modified the Wizard to accept only the first HorizSync line, reject the second
-- when you get the two HorizSync lines, is the first one correct and the one below it bogus? ...if it's the other way round, then back to square one.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Barry, do you mean you have modified the 1.0.7a download, and we need to download it again to test this?

Marv

Horizontal synch lines

#4 Post by Marv »

Each time I have used Xorg when there was a bad horizontal synch line, the first horizontal synch line was ok, and the second line was bad.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Barry, do you mean you have modified the 1.0.7a download, and we need to download it again to test this?
No. See next post.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 13 Dec 2005, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Horizontal synch lines

#6 Post by BarryK »

Marv wrote:Each time I have used Xorg when there was a bad horizontal synch line, the first horizontal synch line was ok, and the second line was bad.
Good. XorgWizard should now work. Note, I haven't uploaded it yet ...well, no need to create a new iso. I'll post the updated wizard in the Announcements.