Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 14:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
1.0.7a Xorg success with several video cards
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Marv

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 13:30    Post_subject:  1.0.7a Xorg success with several video cards  

So far, Xorg is batting 1000 for me. I've installed on the following pretty ratty video cards at 1024x758 76 Hz refresh:
Pine SIS 6236 based AGP card
neomagic chipset in an IBM i1400 thinkpad
Intel 815E integrated video (never got beyond 800x600 before)
ATI rage pro 128 PCI and AGP cards

Xorgwizard generally gets the setup correct with two tweaks usually required that it sounds like are already being ironed out. Some but not all of my monitors wind up with an extra line for horizontal refresh in the "monitor" section with values of xxxxxx 0.0. I remove this line. Also, some systems wind up with a Screen 1 line in the "serverlayout" section and object to that line. I tweak it out when needed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 09:25    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Xorgwizard generally gets the setup correct with two tweaks usually required that it sounds like are already being ironed out. Some but not all of my monitors wind up with an extra line for horizontal refresh in the "monitor" section with values of xxxxxx 0.0. I remove this line.

That's a bug in the Xorg auto-probe of the monitor.
Can you kindly confirm something -- I have modified the Wizard to accept only the first HorizSync line, reject the second
-- when you get the two HorizSync lines, is the first one correct and the one below it bogus? ...if it's the other way round, then back to square one.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 10:25    Post_subject:  

Barry, do you mean you have modified the 1.0.7a download, and we need to download it again to test this?
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 12:55    Post_subject: Horizontal synch lines  

Each time I have used Xorg when there was a bad horizontal synch line, the first horizontal synch line was ok, and the second line was bad.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 20:15    Post_subject:  

Flash wrote:
Barry, do you mean you have modified the 1.0.7a download, and we need to download it again to test this?

No. See next post.

Edited_time_total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 20:17    Post_subject: Re: Horizontal synch lines  

Marv wrote:
Each time I have used Xorg when there was a bad horizontal synch line, the first horizontal synch line was ok, and the second line was bad.

Good. XorgWizard should now work. Note, I haven't uploaded it yet ...well, no need to create a new iso. I'll post the updated wizard in the Announcements.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum