Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded the second Release Candidate for Puppy 4.2 Deep Thought with Seamonkey and Claws mail. There are no major issues remaining to be resolved, having settled the CUPS printing issues and most of the wireless networking problems:

Known issues:

1. The desktop icon theme changer script has a bug that causes certain top level menu icons to be overwritten when switching themes and then not copied back when returning.
2. I still haven't set /usr/share/doc/home.html as the default home page for Seamonkey. It's there and contains the link to the puppy web portal but you'll need to add it manually to test.

New applications include Pwidgets (1.9-5) and Icewm-1.2.36v.09. This release has been mostly about resolving the niggling bugs from earlier releases and adding some minor changes to usability.

Coolpup has continued to submit back-end updates as have aragon and ttuuxxx. The localisation team including esmourgit and droope have continued to supply localised scripts. Zigbert, trio, 01micko and tasmod are continually churning out new versions of Pwidgets. Lobster and ecomoney are working on publicity. Pizzasgood, Dougal, Patriot, rerwin and MU are working behind the scenes supporting various parts of the program. All have my sincere thanks, along with the myriad of willing testers, for their support of the project.

NOTE: All mirrors now require login - UserID = puppy, Password = linux

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-rc2/
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

If the mirrors don't show the new release yet it's probably because the admins haven't had time to move the files to the download area ... try again later.

This release is 100.02Mb, including CUPS, so I still have to prune a little more to find room for RemaX (Remaster Express from pa-mcclamrock) which will be another 26kb compressed.

Enjoy!
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 07 Mar 2009, 23:37, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Firefox

#2 Post by Firefox »

Can`t seem to find 4.2rc2 on any of the servers?

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

It's ready here http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

I hope the speed issue has improved. We are moving to a new server this weekend so I hope it doesn't break the link but by that time MU and PKAG will be ready.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Caneri wrote:It's ready here http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

I hope the speed issue has improved. We are moving to a new server this weekend so I hope it doesn't break the link but by that time MU and PKAG will be ready.

Eric
Posting from RC2 now! SUPERFAST Eric... 10 min and I'm online!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#5 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Ok boss fella,

Too many clockskins and waaaaaaay toooooo big! I've got dejan555 working on a nice lean one that Flash can read.... It'll save 20k compressed easy.

Seamonkey looks as nice as ever, did you tweak fonts? I do have a new widey LCD though. Old one died.

Talking crap now so the OS must be OK!

Cheers

`f00

#7 Post by `f00 »

:lol:
(definition 13) part of a wave: the tunnel formed when a large rolling wave prepares to break

.. perhaps not surfing per se, the swells are steady so far on dialup ..
and I can almost skip a piece of shale to Ca from here on the North Coast . . ^ ^ . . good job, Eric

zigbert

#8 Post by zigbert »

First critics after 5 min use.
- Pwireless is missing
- Pstopwatch/Ptimer is missing
- 3 new clockskins double the size of Pwidgets. It is about 100kb bigger in this iso than the original Pwidget package.
- Default sidebar could be made smaller.
- Right alignment of desktop icons are still not correct
- Globicons missing MANY bindings to /root/my-application/bin. This is very clear when using left tray - add icon. All programs should have a link to a icon.
- Rox 'Icon grid' is defined to 'Fine'. It is hopeless to place an icon to a wanted location. 'Medium' is much better, and has been the default setting in Puppy.

Regards
Sigmund

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

..adding to that

-strangely, very strangely, Icewm shutdown dialog appeared in centre of screen when I tried to restart X, using JWM
-was trying to restart X because left and right trays went walkabout (seems after pressing the 'x' (close) on them)
-I don't use and didn't try Icewm at all
-did full reboot ... no side trays :cry:

Ah well

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

`f00 wrote::lol:
(definition 13) part of a wave: the tunnel formed when a large rolling wave prepares to break (snip)
.. hope that wave doesn't break....
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 07 Mar 2009, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#11 Post by zigbert »

- The wallpaper setter is not the latest and conflicts with Pwidgets.
- The earth background could have been replaced with one looking ok also on a widescreen.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

one of the images was not linked on the release notes htm
rename the enclosed file to release-4.2.htm
and copy into
/usr/share/doc/

:)
Attachments
release-4.2.zip
(17.33 KiB) Downloaded 1413 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

twointo1

#13 Post by twointo1 »

Puppy 4.2rc2 has a problem with the intel ipw2200 wireless pci card - it will not recognize it. Md5sum is right. Dmesg shows kernel tainted.

Works great in 4.1.2

brymway

#14 Post by brymway »

twointo1 wrote:Puppy 4.2rc2 has a problem with the intel ipw2200 wireless pci card - it will not recognize it. Md5sum is right. Dmesg shows kernel tainted.

Works great in 4.1.2
Try the suggested solution in the RC1 thread?
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

pa_mcclamrock

#15 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

PETget package manager
Updating menu, please wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Something really needs to be done about this before the final release!

Printing does work, as expected. :D Also, you don't have to see a purple dialog window any more before the CUPS window opens up. Good. But . . . it's still not obvious how to set a printer as the default, and it should be. This is especially important with TextMaker (which I use) and any other app that wants to use the default printer. Printing did not work with TextMaker until I remembered how to set my printer as the default.

I saved my PuppyPin file and copied it to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer before creating a new pup_save file. After rebooting, sure enough, the desktop icons I wanted were where I wanted them--but some I didn't want were there too, like "calc" and "chat." Can this be prevented from happening?

And now for something really, really strange. When I booted puppy pfix=ram, ROX-filer was there all right. But after I created pup_save and rebooted . . . ROX-Filer was missing from the Filesystem menu, it didn't appear when I clicked drive icons on the desktop, and here's what I got when I tried to run it from the command line:

Code: Select all

# rox &

bash: rox: command not found
What's going on here?!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

MinHundHettePerro

Wallpaper blend-paper

#16 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Too many clockskins and waaaaaaay toooooo big! I've got dejan555 working on a nice lean one that Flash can read.... It'll save 20k compressed easy.
Yeah, I do like my eye candy! :P The clock_skins directory is only 140kb, even with 132kb of my fancier skins, so I need to get you guys to see if you can slim them down some. If worst comes to worst, I'll just leave all of them out except the default and offer the skins pack from the repo. :roll:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

`f00

#18 Post by `f00 »

awwwww (think of the n00Bz!)

interesting av', MHHP ;)

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:- Pwireless is missing
- Pstopwatch/Ptimer is missing
Pwireless 56kb duplicates other functionality but I will look into including it again if users request.
Pstopwatch/Ptimer 124kb removed when looking for space but happy to include again if we can trim the overall package significantly
zigbert wrote:- 3 new clockskins double the size of Pwidgets. It is about 100kb bigger in this iso than the original Pwidget package.
Yes, my bad. I was going for WOW factor and the extra skins contribute significantly to the ISO falling over the 100Mb hurdle.
zigbert wrote:- Default sidebar could be made smaller.
Happy for you or your guys to play with that. I wanted a sidebar that actually faded into the wallpaper (Vista-style) but didn't spend a lot of time in reducing its size. I'm sure your team of bit-misers will trim it nicely for me! :P
zigbert wrote:- Right alignment of desktop icons are still not correct
- Globicons missing MANY bindings to /root/my-application/bin. This is very clear when using left tray - add icon. All programs should have a link to a icon.
- Rox 'Icon grid' is defined to 'Fine'. It is hopeless to place an icon to a wanted location. 'Medium' is much better, and has been the default setting in Puppy.
Yep. I'm leaving these issues as late as possible to address, since I know where I'm going with the pinboard problem and other things were more pressing. Now would be a good time to look into the whole arrangement of PuppyPin and globicons though. :wink:

Thanks, Sigmund.

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:-strangely, very strangely, Icewm shutdown dialog appeared in centre of screen when I tried to restart X, using JWM
It is not the "Icewm shutdown dialog" but is shared with both WM's in this release. That's a design feature.
01micko wrote:-was trying to restart X because left and right trays went walkabout (seems after pressing the 'x' (close) on them)
-I don't use and didn't try Icewm at all
-did full reboot ... no side trays :cry:
Also a "design feature" ... check with your Pwidgets' "Fearless Leader" Sigmund for a solution. :wink: