Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

ttuuxxx

#61 Post by ttuuxxx »

He WhoDo, as glasses go, my father back in Canada always had $300+ plus glasses, until one day he went to a dollar store, they had glasses already made with different prescriptions, so he said what the heck might as well try them out, and they worked, he now pays like $2.00 a pair, I've seen them in some shops in Australia also I think Go-Lo has them, maybe check them out. or next time your going by cheap shops, just pop your head in and ask if they have them, They make a great backup pair.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

Whodo wrote:Pwireless 56kb duplicates other functionality but I will look into including it again if users request.
Pstopwatch/Ptimer 124kb removed when looking for space but happy to include again if we can trim the overall package significantly
Where did you get those numbers from? Lookning in the Puppy4 repo:
- Pwireless - 7kb
- Ptimer - 3kb
- Pstopwatch - 8kb

Sigmund

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

TheBlackSheep

#64 Post by TheBlackSheep »

gerry/ttuuxx

re-printing to a window shared printer, I pointed this out the other day in the RC1 thread - looks like it's a permissions thing on the smb.conf (does CUPS run as nobody and samba as root?)

I did a chmod 666 on smb.conf and the problem goes away. You still need to put a valid Windows user in the URL as in;

"smb://administrator@win-machine/printer-share"

- it does work without the username but you'll see a root cache error and not get feedback from the windows printer (like progress etc).

Chris

tronkel

#65 Post by tronkel »

RC2, still no joy with printing via Officejet G85. It seems to configure the printer OK with the Gutenprint driver, but will not print a test page.
Gutenprint has worked before for me albeit on earlier Puppy versions.

I wonder if the kernel used in RC2 is the culprit here.

Also RC2 does not successfully load the driver for my ATI Radeon 3450 card. I have to say though that the only version of Puppy that has ever been able to do that is a Woof dPup that I built using Woof Alpha2.

Sadly though, this dPup also won't print via CUPS either.

So its back to Debian Lenny or Intrepid for me until these problems get resolved one way or the other.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#66 Post by Lobster »

Most modern screens, CRT too, do not require screensavers.
If you are watching a movie every 600 secs the screen goes blank . . .
I spend all my time wiggling the mouse, so to speak, during movies . . .

So maybe the default for menu / desktop / pupX should be screensaver OFF? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cthisbear

#67 Post by cthisbear »

zigbert:

From now on call WhoDo Jimmie.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=978337

" The term toe cutter is Australian slang for a person who lives
by torturing other criminals, then robbing them.
As the name implies the torture usually involves painful removal
of the digits or in some cases the complete foot.
Few victims ever inform since their loss has been acquired illegally.
An infamous toe cutter was "Jimmie the Pom".

Chris.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#68 Post by Billwho? »

WhoDo wrote: and I just don't believe I'm enough of a dork to wear glasses taped together at the corners. :oops:
Try fuse wire through the screw hole to twitch them together. No where near as obvious.8)
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

cthisbear

#69 Post by cthisbear »

Although I couldn't get my printers to work...
crappy Linux support for Oki C3100 colour laser
and Brother MFC-425CN....
at least they showed up... a first for me.

So a good start....No PPD Files?????for these printers.

I have a customer who'd like Maltese TV to work.
I can't seem to get that going.
I rescued his laptop ages ago and he really liked Puppy 4.12?

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://wwit ... s/6802.htm

Super One tv.

I will retry.
Anyway great work from all.
Looking good and having fun.

Chris.

WhoDo

#70 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:
Whodo wrote:This is the theme I would LIKE to use, but I don't want to tread on Sigmund's toes by not using Deep Thought.
Don't worry, Warren, you have already crushed both my feet by including tcl, icewm, clockskins, ....... :lol:

You should do what you think is best for Puppy, not for me, ttuuxxx, or anyone else :!:
Believe me, Sigmund, if I really DID step on your toes then "crushed" wouldn't begin to cover it! :lol: At 160kg plus, stacked into a 192cm frame, you might need a spatula to scrap them back out of the pavement! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'm trying to do what is best for Puppy, but I am always mindful of the amount of effort you guys put into such things and I believe that effort deserves to be rewarded wherever possible. If you don't mind me substituting another icon theme for Deep Thought, I think it will only enhance the professional look you guys have given us with Pwidgets, frugal backgrounds, JWM themes, Gtk themes, clock skins, widgets of all persuasions, launch tray, etc.

Cheers, mate.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#71 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:
Whodo wrote:Pwireless 56kb duplicates other functionality but I will look into including it again if users request.
Pstopwatch/Ptimer 124kb removed when looking for space but happy to include again if we can trim the overall package significantly
Where did you get those numbers from? Lookning in the Puppy4 repo:
- Pwireless - 7kb
- Ptimer - 3kb
- Pstopwatch - 8kb
The figures came from Barry's notes attached to each package in the packages.txt file. I must confess I didn't cross-check the sizes, just accepted his notes. Could he be quoting uncompressed sizes?

If that's all they are then they're definitely back IN! 18kb all up won't upset my size issues, but other things we're working on may well solve them.

Cheers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#72 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Wallpaper-0.5-3
Got it now, thanks Sigmund. I must have missed that one somehow. 8)

WhoDo

#73 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:RC2, still no joy with printing via Officejet G85. It seems to configure the printer OK with the Gutenprint driver, but will not print a test page.
Gutenprint has worked before for me albeit on earlier Puppy versions.
I may be wrong, Jack, but I think the problem is you need HPLIP rather than relying on the Gutenprint driver. I have NEVER had any joy with my PSC2310 using Gutenprint and I gave the printer to my son before I took the time to try advice from the forum about HPLIP.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

#74 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:Also RC2 does not successfully load the driver for my ATI Radeon 3450 card. I have to say though that the only version of Puppy that has ever been able to do that is a Woof dPup that I built using Woof Alpha2.
I'm pretty sure MU posted a fix for ATI cards. :idea: I haven't included that in RC2, but if you PM him I'm sure he'd point you to the thread or a Google Puppy Search would be just as helpful.

WhoDo

#75 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:" The term toe cutter is Australian slang for a person who lives by torturing other criminals, then robbing them. As the name implies the torture usually involves painful removal of the digits or in some cases the complete foot. Few victims ever inform since their loss has been acquired illegally. An infamous toe cutter was "Jimmie the Pom".
I'm actually old enough to remember when the toe-cutter gang was terrorising Sydney's underworld. It became so a crook couldn't make a dishonest living any more without risking a tarsal or two! :P

WhoDo

#76 Post by WhoDo »

Billwho? wrote:
WhoDo wrote: and I just don't believe I'm enough of a dork to wear glasses taped together at the corners. :oops:
Try fuse wire through the screw hole to twitch them together. No where near as obvious.8)
Now THAT'S a suggestion I've not heard before. I'll go hunting for some fuse wire ASAP. Thanks, Bill!

trio

#77 Post by trio »

Hi

Just dowloaded and try rc2..wireless module setup ok, but cannot find wireless network...reboot using rc1 pupsave, wireless ok. I think the biggest bug on the list is only wireless. It has to be fixed once and for all...

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Pwireless

#78 Post by Béèm »

Someone did a report on Pwireless not present/working?
I have no problems.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

strange problem connecting to the forum

#79 Post by Béèm »

Booted from rc2, connected to the net and started SeaMonkey to go to the forum.
It didn't connect. Time-outs.

I went back to my trusted 4.12 and did the same thing.
No problem to get access to the forum.

Very weird, as I see no reason for this behavior in rc2.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

dinky

Feedback on Deep THought RC2

#80 Post by dinky »

Hi guys, just trying Deep Thought RC2, and have some feedback to leave for you. Firstly, overall I think you folks have done a great job. Well done, and I look forward to a final release. Secondly, all views expressed below are just that, my own views. It's not my aim to upset anyone who has spent time taking puppy forward, nor to create conflict where it's not necessary. Use what you can, and leave the rest:

- Default theme is brilliant, and right away impressed me. I also really like the initial splash screen on boot-up, very professional.

- I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take several seconds to appear, and to change any configuration (adding or removing widgets) they want to reload the desktop. Also, changing desktop backgrounds is a nightmare, and very, very, slow. While I can appreciate what's trying to be achieved, they don't deliver, and shouldn't be included in their current state. Puppy's speed is the operating system's best trait, the gloss has always been secondary. I think at best the widgets should be an optional extra, not activated by default. For me to use deep thought rc2, I'll need to deactivate the widgets.

- touchpad on my eeepc 701 laptop doesn't work out of the box.

- I really love the shutdown dialogue! Well done!

- great idea with icewm, looks very cool.

- Wireless isn't supported out of the box on either my eeepc 701 or belkin wireless card (dektop pc)

- Trash and lock icons are on top of each other on the eeepc 701, under the widgets. On my desktop pc, they are direclty below the widgets, about half way down the screen.

- All the above has been tested on my eeepc 701 (800 x 480 screen res, 900 mhz processor) and my desktop pc (1024 x 768 screen res, and 3.0 ghz processor).