Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

pa_mcclamrock

#81 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Not that I wish to inflict any further supposed injury on Zigbert's feet, but . . . I was noticing that the new mtPaint screenshot capture script is greatly improved in functionality, but not in looks. Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait. (The script does get rid of the screen-shooting window before the screenshot is taken, but I had temporarily modified it so it could take a picture of itself.) If you think this is worth a couple hundred extra bytes, after looking at this screenshot . . .

. . . then just substitute this code for the existing contents of /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
	$win delete
	update
	exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
	-children [list $nowbox $waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
	$::wait configure -text "Waiting"
	after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
		$::win delete
		update
		exec mtpaint -s
	}
}
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

Re: Feedback on Deep THought RC2

#82 Post by 01micko »

dinky wrote: .........I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take ....
Understood Dinky, and the latest Pwidgets is faster (not in RC2). We are going after the 'bling' factor... sex sells..... you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers mate
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#83 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:Just dowloaded and try rc2..wireless module setup ok, but cannot find wireless network...reboot using rc1 pupsave, wireless ok. I think the biggest bug on the list is only wireless. It has to be fixed once and for all...
It will be ... in RC3/Final coming soon (well not too soon, but soon). 8) There was a rogue driver set that I added early in the Alpha series which was masking the internal driver support. I have removed that for the next release and I expect wireless will work at least as well as it did in 4.12 .. we'll see, eh? :wink:

Use the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread in the meantime, or just persist with your earlier pup_save.2fs which should have the working wireless driver bound already.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

trio

#84 Post by trio »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Not that I wish to inflict any further supposed injury on Zigbert's feet, but . . . I was noticing that the new mtPaint screenshot capture script is greatly improved in functionality, but not in looks. Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait. (The script does get rid of the screen-shooting window before the screenshot is taken, but I had temporarily modified it so it could take a picture of itself.) If you think this is worth a couple hundred extra bytes, after looking at this screenshot . . .

. . . then just substitute this code for the existing contents of /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
	$win delete
	update
	exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
	-children [list $nowbox
$waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
	$::wait configure -text "Waiting"
	after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
		$::win delete
		update
		exec mtpaint -s
	}
}
Hey, that looks much better actually..

WhoDo

#85 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait.
I love it, pa ... well ... NOT the purple, but the script. I'll add it to RC3/Final. Thanks. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

dinky

#86 Post by dinky »

dinky wrote:
.........I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take ....

Understood Dinky, and the latest Pwidgets is faster (not in RC2). We are going after the 'bling' factor... sex sells..... you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers mate

~dinky

NathanO

Wirless

#87 Post by NathanO »

WhoDoo said:

As for wireless, try renaming /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/r8180 folder to !!!r8180, save and reboot. Both brymway and 01micko have reported success with similar workarounds.

--------------

Trying to keep it to a live CD for showing at the computer shows, If I change my CD and the release is not changed then I am not showing people Puppy.

Nathan

WhoDo

Re: Wirless

#88 Post by WhoDo »

NathanO wrote:Trying to keep it to a live CD for showing at the computer shows, If I change my CD and the release is not changed then I am not showing people Puppy.
Ahem... that's your choice. :roll: Puppy will neither live nor die simply because you decided one way or the other. The next release will have the workaround embedded so the wireless problems should be fixed by then. We'll see.

BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice? :evil:

We're all just volunteers trying to do our best with what we've got. If you want better hardware support than we can provide here, then consider ... umm ... well actually there really isn't anything else to consider, is there? Even Ubuntu is battling broken drivers these days... *sigh* :shock:

Firefox

Printer probs HPDeskjet710c

#89 Post by Firefox »

I`ve downloaded 4.2rc2 and it works and looks great on a Full hard disk install.
My problem is an old one that has not been resolved in terms of old parallel port printers.
I have a HP Deskjet710c that runs ok on Pup vers 3 series after installing /modifying PPD file and putting it in usr/share/cups/model.--Very few ppds in Vers4.
I also have to load the devx squash file and compile pnm2ppa-1.12.tar.gz into the system.
This usually runs ok on CUPS ver 1.2.x series.
However on the pup4 series , these tricks don`t work! I have trouble understanding how to get around the latest cups and all I ever get is an ` lioerror ` in -outpage- .

How do I remove the Cups package so that I can install the old one and try to regain printing to parallel port.?

trio

Re: Wirless

#90 Post by trio »

WhoDo wrote:
NathanO wrote:Trying to keep it to a live CD for showing at the computer shows, If I change my CD and the release is not changed then I am not showing people Puppy.
Ahem... that's your choice. :roll: Puppy will neither live nor die simply because you decided one way or the other. The next release will have the workaround embedded so the wireless problems should be fixed by then. We'll see.

BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice? :evil:

We're all just volunteers trying to do our best with what we've got. If you want better hardware support than we can provide here, then consider ... umm ... well actually there really isn't anything else to consider, is there? Even Ubuntu is battling broken drivers these days... *sigh* :shock:
Easy there...easy....

ttuuxxx

#91 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait.
I love it, pa ... well ... NOT the purple, but the script. I'll add it to RC3/Final. Thanks. 8)
Yes I don't like the purple/pink sorry, PA I'm more for black, grey, orange, more manly colours, The script on the other hand is really nice, I do like the new one already included in mtpaint, and if its replaced, I think it should be archived, in the repo, well If we due away with tcl/tk in the future like before scripts like the one we are now using will be lost, always handy to have around. even if it was a simple one, it was a good idea, and worked perfectly. Plus it gives a nice example how to script for new comers.
ttuuxxx

PS NathanO, Don't mess with WhoDo he has fuse-wire holding his glasses together, and nitro+tnt in the freezer and the sticks are crystallized.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

trapster

#92 Post by trapster »

Cups working with my wireless HP6180. I chose the HP PhotoSmart 7150 driver and the test page printed fine. (socket://192.168.1.107)
Can I finally dump my HP6180 .ppd file and wireless driver for ndiswrapper?
YES!!!!!
Great work!

- Now, how do I get rid of this annoying mouse shadow?
- What window is the cups configuration using. I don't have right clicking options in it?
- BTW...Osmo does list the moon phases.
- Menu>Secure ssh telnet: "File not found" when using the "Help" button.
- Menu>System>Conky system monitor: Sits on top of Pwidgets when started. No easy way to shut it off for the noobie. killall conky didn't seem to help pwidgets much.
- Great job on streamtuner, But...shouldn't we include streamripper if it's an option in streamtuner? Or, get rid of the button?

Back to snooping.
Last edited by trapster on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

pa_mcclamrock

#93 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:
Great! As for the purple . . . well, there are also five colorful GTK+ themes with no purple in my Clearlooks-Colorschemes .PET (only about 3 KB compressed), which I thought was going to be in RC2, but apparently wasn't. In case you misplaced it, overlooked it, or something, here it is again:
Attachments
clearlooks-colorschemes-1.1.pet
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
--Linus Torvalds

ttuuxxx

#94 Post by ttuuxxx »

trapster wrote: - Now, how do I get rid of this annoying mouse shadow? /Menu/Desktop/PCursor you also might want to add new cursor themes also
- What window is the cups configuration using. I don't have right clicking options in it? Please explain clearer

- Great job on streamtuner, But...shouldn't we include streamripper if it's an option in streamtuner? Or, get rid of the button? Streamripper will be a addon in repo hopefully if WhoDo says its ok, So removing the button would stop the addon from working, if we had extra space it maybe would of been included. Or if zigbert would come onboard and help, he could modify his small script to work out of the box.
ttuuxxx

Back to snooping.

pa_mcclamrock

#95 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

ttuuxxx wrote:Yes I don't like the purple/pink sorry, PA I'm more for black, grey, orange, more manly colours [ . . . ]
Then you'll really hate "Clearlooks-MamaRose" (my wife's favorite), but try "Clearlooks-Autumnalia" (which my wife hates because she doesn't like orange). You don't have to like purple, but I believe it was considered quite a manly color in the days when kings wore purple robes (whence the name "Clearlooks-RoyalPurple2"). As for black and gray, I didn't see any need to reinvent the many existing black and gray wheels, I mean, GTK+ themes.
The script on the other hand is really nice, I do like the new one already included in mtpaint, and if its replaced, I think it should be archived, in the repo, well If we due away with tcl/tk in the future like before scripts like the one we are now using will be lost, always handy to have around. even if it was a simple one, it was a good idea, and worked perfectly. Plus it gives a nice example how to script for new comers.
So does mine, I hope. :D I thought the idea behind (temporarily) getting rid of Tcl/Tk was to standardize the GTK+ 2 look, which (on the whole) is better than what you're likely to get with Tk, and far better than what you can get with xdialog and the like. It turns out, I believe, that reinstituting Tcl with Gnocl actually helps to standardize the GTK+ look, as in this little script. So, um, if you (or anyone else) would like to discuss any remaining reasons for possibly dumping Tcl, maybe a new thread on that point could be started.
--Linus Torvalds

trapster

#96 Post by trapster »

ttuuxxx wrote:
What window is the cups configuration using. I don't have right clicking options in it? Please explain clearer
Found it...gtkmoz (defaulthtmlviewer).
trapster
Maine, USA

ttuuxxx

#97 Post by ttuuxxx »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Yes I don't like the purple/pink sorry, PA I'm more for black, grey, orange, more manly colours [ . . . ]
Then you'll really hate "Clearlooks-MamaRose" (my wife's favorite), but try "Clearlooks-Autumnalia" (which my wife hates because she doesn't like orange). You don't have to like purple, but I believe it was considered quite a manly color in the days when kings wore purple robes (whence the name "Clearlooks-RoyalPurple2"). As for black and gray, I didn't see any need to reinvent the many existing black and gray wheels, I mean, GTK+ themes.
The script on the other hand is really nice, I do like the new one already included in mtpaint, and if its replaced, I think it should be archived, in the repo, well If we due away with tcl/tk in the future like before scripts like the one we are now using will be lost, always handy to have around. even if it was a simple one, it was a good idea, and worked perfectly. Plus it gives a nice example how to script for new comers.
So does mine, I hope. :D I thought the idea behind (temporarily) getting rid of Tcl/Tk was to standardize the GTK+ 2 look, which (on the whole) is better than what you're likely to get with Tk, and far better than what you can get with xdialog and the like. It turns out, I believe, that reinstituting Tcl with Gnocl actually helps to standardize the GTK+ look, as in this little script. So, um, if you (or anyone else) would like to discuss any remaining reasons for possibly dumping Tcl, maybe a new thread on that point could be started.
Well the kings who wore purple did look a bit fruity,lol anyways to each their own on colours, No I like your script, i did say that, and I don't want tcl/tk removed, I was just say that we do have a new snapshot timer already that isn't tcl, and its only been used in the beta/rc1 releases to this point, I just think it should go to the repo, just because if we drop tcl/tk for some odd reason heaven forbid, we don't cripple puppy, we need to keep our current scripts archived somewhere. I'm happy to use your script, as long as its not purple/pink by default:)
ttuuxxx

tasmod

#98 Post by tasmod »

trapster,

Hadn't realised Osmo did moon phase. I'll drop that one then.

Conky on top is something I've not come across, conky is necessary for pwidgets to run.

WhoDo,

what on earth happened to shutoff menu. It's OK but yellow is my least favourite colour and the menu doesn't seem to follow themes.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

trapster

#99 Post by trapster »

- cpu running @ 100% with cupsd!!

- Pwidgets needs an option to shut it off if not (temporarily) wanted. The only thing I can find is "Clear list" but I don't really want to repopulate the list next time I want it.
trapster
Maine, USA

ttuuxxx

#100 Post by ttuuxxx »

tasmod wrote: what on earth happened to shutoff menu. It's OK but yellow is my least favourite colour and the menu doesn't seem to follow themes.
feel free to change it when you install 4.2 on your pc :)
Ps
What on earth happened with Pwidgets slowing down refresh menus, and slowing down loading of the desktops, and messing up menus? What on earth, LOL
like you haven't seen the menu plastered like 20 times on here in icewm, and now that we are RC2!! you complain, maybe you should of done it say around alpha2 lol, Its ok if all goes well I'll be changing the theme also, I'm also tired of the flat look tooooooo.
ttuuxxx