NOP 4.13 r1 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

NOP 4.13 r1 released

#1 Post by gray »

I have uploaded a new version of NOP to http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP

Nearly Office Pup is a puplet with office apps removed and using the XFCE desktop. The idea is that the puplet is run from frugal install or USB stick and an appropriate SFS file of your favourite office apps is used. Usually this would be OpenOffice, but could be Goffice (Abiword & Gnumeric) or even Koffice.

@ http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP (user: puppy passwd: linux)
try OpenOffice301_JRE_lzma_413.sfs
or goffice2-1_413.sfs or Koffice_413.sfs

Version 4.13 is basically Puppy 4.1.2 but with many of the bug fixes and enhancements found on the forum since the last official puppy release, such as many of the app updates currently going into puppy 4.2.

The big feature of this release is of course the new XFCE 4.6.
Also included is Opera 10 alpha (yes I know it is an alpha but this is rock solid and puts many full releases of other software to shame).

I also update CUPS to version 1.39 using Patriots pet and added lzma squashfs to keep the size down to 76 Meg.

KNown issues:
Xarchiver has a bug. If you tick the box for add file extension automatically to the filename when creating an archive it doesnt work. Just add the extension yourself.

24/4/09 Edit: R1 version now has xfce 4.6.1, Pwidgets 2.0.7-1 and flashplayer 10.0.22.87

Pwidgets patch upgrades Pwidgets to improved preview of clock & sidebar
Attachments
pwidgets_patch.pet
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 1216 times
Last edited by gray on Mon 18 May 2009, 11:35, edited 9 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

user puppy
password linux

download puppy-413 etc ISO

You do good work Gray - so I know this is worth downloading and trying
Many thanks :)

Just had a look at PCLinuxOS 2009 - the most exciting thing in it?
The screensavers . . . ah well . . .

Looking forward to checking out new xfce (my fav window manager)
and Opera (my least favourite browser - no wait that is Flock - no Dillo)

. . . must remain positive and on topic. . . :oops:
Are you planning on using Woof in the future?
Will Dinky base Ripple on this new version?

Remember NOP has proved an excellent base for puplets :)

Update: Posting from NOP now. Yes seems OK Very good looking 8) There is a Fax and Tiff viewer?
Which OpenOffice SFS or Pet are you recommending? I really need one with JRE so I can add sound to Impress . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Henry

NOP 4.13

#3 Post by Henry »

Good news, gray!

I've been waiting for this . . .
Downloading now

Henry

deschepper

download issue

#4 Post by deschepper »

Gray, thanks for the NOP puppies. I've been using NOP 412 for a few weeks now, and I'm truly impressed with their economy of space while maintaining the features I like.

I would second the question above though: which openoffice, goffice and koffice sfs do you recommend for use with NOP 412 and 413?

I was able to download and am stunned that you managed to reduce the size even further - I can't tell anything was lost in the process. Fine work!
Last edited by deschepper on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#5 Post by davesurrey »

Hi gray,
Exciting news.
I'm downloading as I write this.
I have been using NOP412 for a while and really like the elegant and simplistic lines. Plus...it really does just work!

I have also installed Tipsy pup which is based on NOP412 but with wine and compiz added, which for those that like the effects is mighty impressive. Do you have any thoughts to adding an sfs for 413 for compiz in the future?

Thanks again for a really beautiful piece of high quality work.
Dave

magerlab

#6 Post by magerlab »

great!
really like what's happening!
want to try it out
thank you so much, gray
if possible, wll you make a pet for 4.6 version

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

gray,

Thanks for this great new pup. It's working flawlessly with my favorite applications, amsn, bibletime, bibledesktop, thunderbird, firefox, and openoffice 3. The new Opera is also impressive along with your new XFCE desktop.

Thank you,
Jim

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Well done, again, gray.
At last someone well-clued up about Opera10alpha!

Anyone able to help me with the libdvdcss issue, please? I don't understand what's going on with its (non)availablity. I thought that all the problems were over when Jon beat the devil at his own game in Court?

davesurrey

#9 Post by davesurrey »

Okay, anyone know how to change or even enable a screensaver.

davesurrey

#10 Post by davesurrey »

Sage.
Still interested to now about your tweaks to Opera 10 which you alluded to in the NOP 4.1 thread and I asked there for more details.

Ray MK

#11 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Gray

This is fantastic - many, many thanks - especially for Opera10.

The whole package runs really well on my 5yr old ram challenged Patriot laptop.
(Via C3 1Ghz proc. 91mb ram. 250mb swap.)

Just going to add OO3.sfs and conky - Perfect.

Very best regards - Ray

Caneri

#12 Post by Caneri »

Hi Gray,

Here's a mirror for NOP

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/

There is a login required for puppylinux.asia now as Lobster has posted above. This is to slow down the abuse as I was shutdown again last month for a few weeks.

user=puppy
pass=linux

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

hayagix

#13 Post by hayagix »

"tweaks to Opera 10"

I'm interested too.

Opera 10 freezes up, big time, whenever I try java in other puplets and distros. In fact, I've had to apply hard shutdowns a couple of times when nothing would respond.

shand

#14 Post by shand »

Gray, thanks a lot!!!!
I'm download and will try it

`f00

#15 Post by `f00 »

@Eric - .ca seems fine recently (dl of rc3 very steady - 10x!)

Looking forward to checking this one out (after testing rc3, of course :) ) - Op10 is a terrific choice for mainstream state-of-the-art in a stable 'alpha' (of course I'm biased by some minimal experience in both Puppy offline and win32 on', personally still undecided about Op@USB for long-term stability). Very pleased that Xfce 4.6 is in this most recent NOP ..

Thank you, Gray.

techtype

#16 Post by techtype »

Absolutely wonderful job! You always do a lot of background work that makes things work better on your pups. (like printing) This one is just remarkable and nice looking too!!

Henry

Usual good impressions, gray

#17 Post by Henry »

Each new Nop is better. Xfce is the best and 4.6 is more than subtly improved. Most important, Nop upgrades are fairly easy now, having done this a number of times. I would not, and do not, hesitate to use this in a serious work situation.

One nice thing is that the mystery and delay has been removed from editing the menu - just edit the .desktop files!

Of course I had to rebuild my hot keys and my FTP bookmarks and get rid of gray's green ;-) a small price to pay. Also had to reinstall Xine, but it does work well.

Galculator doesn't work with what's in 4.13, but Calcoo is a good choice.

Opera 10 alpha is fine but maybe a little quirky in that manually managing bookmarks is very slow. And when I bungled a bookmark file and tried to replace it it worked differently than before, and seemed to be trying to sync although I had not asked for that. The first time I run Opera after a reboot it takes a very long time to start. I'm sure it'll be fine - Opera has been my only browser since it first appeared, yes.

By the way, I note that I have two pretty similar computers running side by side with a KVM switch for convenience, one with 4.1.2 and one with 4.1.3 (or 4.13, as they say). It is easy to see the differences in delays, etc. For example, the splash screen continues noticeably longer in 4.1.3 "starting ourage" Further, printing no longer works. It seems the new CUPS is different - it asks for a password, which I remembered Barry had said was woofwoof. Guess I will have redo something . . .
-----------------------------------------------------
My printing Linux computer is described at

henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

gray: I had difficulty associating the appropriate picture with the generic gear icon on the desktop in NOP. Usually, this can be achieved via 'Properties', but I am not skilled in the art. If there's some terminal commands, etc., a complete recipe would be appreciated.

davesurrey

#19 Post by davesurrey »

sage:
not too sure if I understand you correctly but if you are saying you are trying to make a launcher icon on the desktop then:

1. right click anywhere on a free part of the desktop
2. select create launcher
3. type in "appropriate " name into "Name"
4. click on "create"
5. if you don't like that icon or wish to change it for whatever reason then right click on it, select "edit launcher" and click on Icon box and select whatever icon you want, from wherever it is.

I didn't know this until 30 minutes ago so I guess it's quite intuitive.
Hope this helps but if you know all this already sorry but then I have no idea what your issue is. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs. Also it may help others.

Now.....how about telling us more about tweaking Opera for best results as you said in the NOP 4.1 thread. I'm not the only one keen to know as you seem to be very positive about Opera (as I am) it would help others no doubt.
Cheers
Dave

Henry

EDIT: Slow booksmarks

#20 Post by Henry »

I hope I made it clear yesterday that I was describing my experience with an upgrade of Nop from my working configuration file, which is where my interest lies. This morning I looked carefully at 4.13 without a config file, and would like to congratulate gray on a very elegant and snappy presentation.

But an empty Opera is not the same as one with thousands of bookmarks (not unusual in the case of a writer or researcher), and the latest v.9 in 4.12 showed no such delays.

EDIT: Just noting how odd the bookmark managing works. Very slow, very jerky scrolling, saw it drop a whole folder of favicons! (not the bookmarks.) Here is where my Opera files are, mostly outside of pup_save. I don't use OperaMail.

Version
10.00 Internal
Build
Platform
Linux
System
i686, 2.6.25.16
Qt library
Java
Java Runtime Environment installed
Browser identification

Opera/10.00 (X11; Linux i686 ; U; en) Presto/2.2.0