Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded the third and final Release Candidate for Puppy 4.2 Deep Thought with Seamonkey and Claws mail. There are no major issues remaining to be resolved, having settled the CUPS printing issues and the wireless networking problems:

Known issues:

1. The Pwidgets Clock-analog plugin doesn't use the hands colours of dark or light, only the theme.
See the Pwidgets thread (top of p105) for an easy fix.
2. I still haven't set /usr/share/doc/home.html as the default home page for Seamonkey. It's there and contains the link to the puppy web portal but you'll need to add it manually to test.
3. Localisation appears to have introduced a bug to PETget.
Please use attached dotpet to overwrite the buggy version and report.

New applications include Pwidgets (2.0) and RemaX-4.20 (Remaster Express). This release has been mostly about squashing niggling minor bugs, polishing and adding some minor changes to usability.

Coolpup has continued to submit back-end updates as have aragon and ttuuxxx. The localisation team including esmourgit and droope have continued to supply localised scripts. Zigbert, trio, 01micko and tasmod are still churning out new versions of Pwidgets. Lobster and ecomoney are working on publicity. Pizzasgood, Dougal, Patriot, rerwin and MU are working behind the scenes supporting various parts of the program. All have my sincere thanks, along with the myriad of willing testers, for their support of the project.

NOTE: All mirrors now require login - UserID = puppy, Password = linux

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-rc3/
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

If the mirrors don't show the new release yet it's probably because the admins haven't had time to move the files to the download area ... try again later.

This release is 99.92Mb, including RemaX, so we are within our target weight for the final release. RemaX weighed in at a hefty 26kb ... well done, pa!

Enjoy!
Attachments
petget-420-v3.pet
Non-localised PETget package
(25.01 KiB) Downloaded 1678 times
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 13:33, edited 7 times in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

trio

#2 Post by trio »

:lol: :lol: Yeah Whodo my man!

capoverde

#3 Post by capoverde »

While Puppy 4.2RC3 is downloading, here's a (temporary) list of files with the wording "take affect":

/usr/sbin/eventmanager (2 instances)
/usr/local/jwmconfig2/jwmConfigMgr (1 instance)
/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbar (1 instance)
/usr/sbin/set-xftdpi.glade (1 instance)

Cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:D
Remaster Express looks very interesting
and many of us will be pleased to use that
in the final release.
Anyone testing it let us know how you get on :)

On my screen lock and zip appeared a third up the screen
this is at 1280*1024
Barry had this problem at some point and I do not remember what the solution was - anyone?
Easy enough to move of course

Was very easy to stop pwidgets
(many will enjoy pwidgets)
not my thing - personal choice :)

Well done everyone :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Thanks WhoDo!

Wireless fine now! Easy 10 second setup... 8)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

capoverde

#6 Post by capoverde »

Tried to install XNetLoad with the usual PET Package Manager, but nothing happened. Tried to install other apps, no matter from what section, same result... What's the matter here? Worked fine before :(

(Reaching the forum is getting every time harder -- now only about 1 try out of 8 randomly works).

trio

#7 Post by trio »

whodo

1. yes, I can't install any pets too --> edit: after manual installation of above petget.pet -- ok now
2. I am sure now that you haven't put jwm fix (as in jwm theme_swicther) in gtk2jwm .. fresh install no pup_save when I looked inside it...

Thanks
Last edited by trio on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 13:42, edited 3 times in total.

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

#8 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:Localisation appears to have introduced a bug to PETget. Please use attached dotpet to overwrite the buggy version and report.
Um, one little thing . . . instructions on how to install a .PET without PETget! Here's how I did it: (1) run pet2tgz on the .PET; (2) untar the resulting tarball; (3) manually overwrite all possibly bad built-in files with the corresponding presumably good ones from the .PET-turned-tarball. It worked, but is there a better way?

Aside from that . . . I haven't had time yet to test much of anything but the network connection (which worked for me, as always) and printing (which worked for me, as not always in the past, with AbiWord, TextMaker, and SeaMonkey). More soon, I hope!
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

capoverde wrote:Tried to install XNetLoad with the usual PET Package Manager, but nothing happened. Tried to install other apps, no matter from what section, same result... What's the matter here? Worked fine before :(

(Reaching the forum is getting every time harder -- now only about 1 try out of 8 randomly works).
See main post above for patch and update request. PETget corrupted (I think) by localisation update. The .pet rolls back to the previous version of PETget.

BarryK has emailed John Murga about the forum issues. We'll see.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Um, one little thing . . . instructions on how to install a .PET without PETget! Here's how I did it: (1) run pet2tgz on the .PET; (2) untar the resulting tarball; (3) manually overwrite all possibly bad built-in files with the corresponding presumably good ones from the .PET-turned-tarball. It worked, but is there a better way?
A better way? Yeah, I could get it right the first time! :oops:

Try this:

1. Open a console in the directory where you have the .pet
2. Use pet2tgz command as before
3. Click on the resulting tgz file and use Xarchiver to extract (no need to remember tar/untar commands)
4. Drag extracted directories to appropriate locations using ROX filer and choose Yes when asked to merge contents.

Hopefully the localization guys will work out why their changes broke PETget. If I have to release Final with a non-localised PETget I will, so main focus should be on testing RemaX. 0pkgs_db-420 uploaded to ibiblio.org this evening along with all of the other updated and optional dotpets.

Cheers

pa_mcclamrock

#11 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:BarryK has emailed John Murga about the forum issues. We'll see.
I sure hope so! I couldn't get through for a couple of hours this morning (a/k/a "this evening" in Australia)!
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:2. I am sure now that you haven't put jwm fix (as in jwm theme_swicther) in gtk2jwm .. fresh install no pup_save when I looked inside it...
Hmmm... maybe another glitch in my Unleashed tree. Please upload fix again here so I can include properly. Thanks trio.

trio

#13 Post by trio »

whodo

here it is:

/usr/local/jwmconfig2/gtk2jwm (start line 178)

lineNumber=`expr $linenumber`
lineNumber2=`expr $linenumber2`

#Zigbert added this, because maybe somebody forgot to put
blinkyline="blinkydelayed -bg \"$BackgroundColor\""
xloadline=" xload -nolabel -fg red -hl white -bg \"$IndentedBackgroundColor\""

#fixed by hairywill 20-01-09 handle case where linenumber/2 is zero
[ ! "$lineNumber" = 0 ] && sed -ie "$lineNumber"d $TrayFile && sed -ie "$lineNumber"i"$blinkyline" $TrayFile
[ ! "$lineNumber2" = 0 ] && sed -ie "$lineNumber2"d $TrayFile && sed -ie "$lineNumber2"i"$xloadline" $TrayFile
#sed -e "$lineNumber"i"$blinkyline" -e "$lineNumber"d -e "$lineNumber2"i"$xloadline" -e "$lineNumber2"d $TrayFileBak > $TrayFile
#end John Doe's code.
########

#Trio-this to make absvolume follows theme without reboot
if [ -f /usr/bin/absvolume ];then
if [ "$MENU_BG" = "" ];then
killall absvolume
absvolume &
else
killall absvolume
absvolume -bg $MENU_BG &
fi
fi

########

sync
pidof jwm >/dev/null && jwm -restart

Thanks

pa_mcclamrock

#14 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:Hopefully the localization guys will work out why their changes broke PETget. If I have to release Final with a non-localised PETget I will [ . . . ]
I think the alternatives are (1) release Final with a non-localized PETget or (2) issue one more RC in which the localized version can be thoroughly tested. Whatever you do, please do not take any risk that they'll incorrectly think it's fixed and then everybody will find out it isn't in the final release!
--Linus Torvalds

trapster

#15 Post by trapster »

We have a new release that cannot install a .pet ??
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:here it is:

/usr/local/jwmconfig2/gtk2jwm (start line 178)
Done. Included for Final release. :wink:

I had modified the theme_switcher file from the same directory but not the gtk2jwm switcher. That is what had me confused. :?

Cheers.

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

trapster wrote:We have a new release that cannot install a .pet ??
Yes, although the patch was posted well before your post. A last minute update to PETget for localisation broke it. My bad. Of course I don't really need my nose rubbed in it though do I? :oops:

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

UPDATES & FIXES

Stripped Libs
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... 4.2rc3.pet

ClawsMail with SSL
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... 0-i386.pet

Fix For Spelling in Abiword and ClawsMail, (Should be added to the main abiword package thats going to be added to the repo)
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... abifix.pet

petget.tar.gz
If your Puppy package manager isn't working, extract this file and move/replace it to /usr/sbin/ then it will work again :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=16172

Geanyfont.pet
Is should be added to the Geany package it makes it easier to read the highlight fonts and also I made 'defaultbrowser' as the html viewer it was 'firefox' before :)

Set-Time-Date.pet
is an updated version of the Set-Time-Date, there was a post that complained about after the fact warnings etc, so I fixed that.

Full SeaMonkey including mail

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... 1.14-1.pet

ttuuxxx
Attachments
Burn2iso-v2.pet
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 1252 times
Geanyfont.pet
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times
NewerBlinkyFreemem.pet
(874 Bytes) Downloaded 1334 times
Set-Time-Date.pet
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 1255 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Thu 19 Mar 2009, 17:52, edited 5 times in total.

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

The smb symlink needed to connect to a Windows shared printer is still missing.

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:The smb symlink needed to connect to a Windows shared printer is still missing.
I have no idea what you're talking about, so if you want it included please tell me where to find out about it or post the information here. Simply producing a one sentence "notification" does ZERO to get it fixed, as you have already found out! :x

Cheers.