Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

ttuuxxx

#21 Post by ttuuxxx »

rcrsn51 wrote:The smb symlink needed to connect to a Windows shared printer is still missing.
Where should the system link be?, from what file/directory to what file/directory? That would help a lot if we knew more information.
Thanks ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

ttuuxxx

#23 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey Whodo

I have something you want, its big and beautiful :shock: -ing
lol
Anyways Its the full SeaMonkey weighing in at 13MB, wow its big because This time I turned on --enable-dbug and well I just tried the insert key and it froze Seamonkey, I also compiled it more like FirePup, and so it runs faster than the last release. Too bad about the size, I could see it was going to be big because when it was compiling I could read debug all over the place. It took about 4 hrs, I might set it up one more time to compile before bed anyways for now here's the pet, just install it and restart X server and you'll have mail, News and address-book. Don't just refresh menus, because sometimes when you shutdown Seamonkey, it says running. So restart X server.
ttuuxxx

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... 1.1.14.pet

name: puppy
password: linux

you'll probably have to type it twice.

dejan555

#24 Post by dejan555 »

OK, tried RC3, looks veeerry pretty, successfully connected to net using web'n'walk USB3G modem, logged to #puppylinux using XChat, listened to some radio streams using alsaplayer (it works great, but if you start it from console it gives some errors about window borders or smtng?), served some .pets using pure-ftpd, after installing petget fix from main post petget worked, didn't try the 16-bit colours though (will do), the only thing I noticed that didn't work even somewhere in alpha ver. is when after using LiveCD when I wanted to reboot whole system (using icewm), screen blackened out while PC was still powered, it gave me no option for saving session, nothing, it didn't even poweroff. :(
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

WhoDo

#25 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:

ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb
Thank you. It will be done for Final. Apologies for the testiness in my last post to you. I'm still unwell and very short on patience as the result. Not your problem - mine. :oops:

Cheers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

dejan555 wrote:...the only thing I noticed that didn't work even somewhere in alpha ver. is when after using LiveCD when I wanted to reboot whole system (using icewm), screen blackened out while PC was still powered, it gave me no option for saving session, nothing, it didn't even poweroff. :(
Modify /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot to comment out the line near the end as follows:

#exec killall -9 X #v1.0.7 make sure X is killed.
I modified the restartwm script but neglected to do the same for wmshutdown and wmreboot which also carry that line. It will be fixed for the next release.

Thanks for the report.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#27 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:This time I turned on --enable-dbug and well I just tried the insert key and it froze Seamonkey, I also compiled it more like FirePup, and so it runs faster than the last release. Too bad about the size, I could see it was going to be big because when it was compiling I could read debug all over the place. It took about 4 hrs, I might set it up one more time to compile before bed anyways for now here's the pet, just install it and restart X server and you'll have mail, News and address-book. Don't just refresh menus, because sometimes when you shutdown Seamonkey, it says running. So restart X server.
No real hurry, Jeff. I can wait for you to recompile because this one is going to be uploaded to the ibiblio.org repository but will not be in the current release. Better it's right before it gets uploaded because I can't delete it once it's there; only Barry can do that. Thanks for your efforts. They are much appreciated. 8)

pa_mcclamrock

#28 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

RC3 looks pretty good to me so far . . . aside from the temporary shock of PETget not working until I overwrote the bad new files with the good old ones, I've only noticed three little oddities (or eight, if you count all the non-working links separately):

1. In /root/puppy-reference, ROX shows six warning triangles for links that don't work: ps-pdf, spreadsheets, text, vector-images, video, xml.

2. My replacement code for /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh wasn't substituted for the previous code, as I thought it was going to be.

3. I thought there was going to be an "intro" window telling users things like how to stop the Pwidgets display from appearing if they don't want to see it, but there isn't.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

sata80

widgets

#29 Post by sata80 »

I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.

WB7ODYFred

Petget Fixed localization problem for ENGLISH ONLY.

#30 Post by WB7ODYFred »

March 19, 2009 20:29 GMT-7 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Added in Zigberts code in lines 443 and 1486 to "fixmenus" script inside "petget" source.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=60
Been sitting in Lodi California Wednesday and Thursday. Pickup load tomorrow and head back to Woodburn Oregon.

Added back in the 5 additional mirrors, so that they work when you push the button March 14,2009 20:24 GMT-7 (pacific Dalight time)
Updated the petget-4.2.rc3.pet package below a 2nd time.

Use http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu not depricated "oss.cc.gatech.edu"

Still need editing on other language petget.mo files.

Updated file /usr/sbin/PetGet and /usr/share/local/en/LC_MESSAGES/petget.mo

I have not tested extensively. I still want to compare this petget version with an older version to see if something was left out.
Do you get 8 buttons to select a download mirror?
Making this post short because I am out in Salt Lake City in an 18 wheeler Flat Bed Semi and need to be driving to Tacoma Washington for a Monday 8am delivery, here it is Saturday afternoon.
" got a long way to go and a short time to get there"

Hope this helps bring out RC3. Enjoy
Thanks Ttuuxxx and Mouliner and Whodo!!

Fred Finster
SIP:fredfinster@sip7.vitelity.net
WB7ODYFred@yahoo.com
Attachments
petget-4.2.rc3a.pet
March 19, 2009 20:29 GMT-7 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Added in Zigberts code to fixmenus script when installing a .PET package.
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 1171 times
petget-4.2.rc3.pet
Updated file /usr/sbin/PetGet and /usr/share/local/en/LC_MESSAGES/petget.mo

/usr/share/local/en/LC_MESSAGES/changes_to_petget_and_locale_message_files.txt
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
Last edited by WB7ODYFred on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 03:52, edited 3 times in total.

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:1. In /root/puppy-reference, ROX shows six warning triangles for links that don't work: ps-pdf, spreadsheets, text, vector-images, video, xml.
Will fix for next release.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:2. My replacement code for /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh wasn't substituted for the previous code, as I thought it was going to be
I've looked everywhere for this. I wanted to include it - had included it - but it was inadvertently overwritten by another package and I couldn't find your original again despite searching most of the posts in the Bugs & Fixes threads back to Alpha4!! Please post it here again and it WILL be included. :roll:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:3. I thought there was going to be an "intro" window telling users things like how to stop the Pwidgets display from appearing if they don't want to see it, but there isn't.
Replaced by Stop/Start option in Pwidgets manager. :wink:

WhoDo

Re: widgets

#32 Post by WhoDo »

sata80 wrote:I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.
Use "Stop Widgets" on File menu in Pwidgets manager and report.

panzerpuppy

#33 Post by panzerpuppy »

I've been playing with RC3 for some time and here are my first impressions:

Close,but no cigar. Needs at least one more RC build.

A lot of bugs,complaints and stuff. Read on :)

- PetGet doesn't work (already fixed with the patch)
- The version of ALSA (1.0.16) used in 4.2 is really old. The latest one is 1.0.19
- When resizing the PWidgets 'add widgets' window,the window can be resized,but the content inside the window doesn't adapt to fit the window.
- Where is the GTKHash utility? I can't find it anywhere!
- The clock widget color changes to orange after adding a widget.
- 'Fit image to window size' doesn't work in GPicView :(
- PStopwatch and PTimer use 100% CPU (that's with a 2.6GHz machine !)
- There's no option to select preset zoom percentages in GPicView - a major disappointment.Clicking 100 times on the zoom button to zoom an image is not fun :(
- Maximizing the GPicView window and then selecting 'Fullscreen' screws up the image viewer.
- Gnumeric (1.8.4) can be updated to 1.9.4
- Flash Player 9 is still the old version (9.0.124)
- You can remove some crappy XLock screensavers to save space (i.e. the terrible 'ball' screensaver)
- The clock widget is moveable??? Weird,'cause the other widgets are not.
- Stardust.png or Deepthought.png should be replaced with the Blue Grass wallpaper.
The grass one looks like Windows7 / Vista and adds more variety. Stardust and Deepthought look very similar,so one of them must go :)
- How about using the enhanced JWM with the rounded corners and without those ugly window button separators?
- The new Puppy Control Panel is not in 4.2 RC :(
- You can remove XCalc. Do we need two calculators?
- Do we really need two font viewers and two clipboard managers?
- Barry's RP-PPPOE GUI is too simplistic and not user friendly.How about replacing it with the original RP-PPPOE GUI?

There's still a lot of stuff I haven't tested yet :)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 02:00, edited 2 times in total.

Minnesota

xorg etc

#34 Post by Minnesota »

xorg seems stuck on 1400x 1050 on Thinkpad... tried 600 and 800 and 1440 always get 1400 x 1050... might be Laptop???

Printer works on Brother 1440 PR

Thinkpad WIFI now recognized again :)

Looking good!

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

Responses embedded below:
red = no can do
green = done
blue = I'll think about it
panzerpuppy wrote:- PetGet doesn't work (already fixed with the patch) ... and will be fixed permanently for the next release.
- The version of ALSA (1.0.16) used in 4.2 is really old. The latest is 1.0.19 ...Alsa 1.0.19 created dependency problems in one of the Alpha builds so we rolled back. It is in the repository so you can add it if you wish.
- When resizing the PWidgets 'add widgets' window,the window border can be resized,but the content inside the window doesn't adapt to fit the window. ...who does this? Aren't all the widgets visible when the window opens? If so, why resize it?
- Where is the GTKHash utility? I can't find it anywhere!...removed for space considerations.
- The clock widget color changes to orange after adding a widget. ...fixed in next release
- 'Fit image to window size' doesn't work in GPicView :(...noted
- PStopwatch and PTimer use 100% CPU (that's with a 2.6GHz machine !) ...noted
- There's no option to select preset zoom percentages in GPicView - a major disappointment.Clicking 100 times on the zoom button to zoom an image is not fun :(...noted
- Maximizing the GPicView window and then selecting 'Fullscreen' screws up the image viewer....noted
- Gnumeric (1.8.4) can be updated to 1.9.4...not for this release; we have a freeze in place until Final
- Flash Player 9 is still the old version (9.0.124)...fixed in next release
- You can remove some crap XLock screensavers to save some space (i.e. the terrible 'ball' screensaver) ...noted
- The clock widget is moveable??? Weird,'cause the other widgets are not. ...that's because Xonclock is a separate application only blended to the widgets. Make a "suggestion" in the Pwidgets thread if you want this feature changed
- Stardust.png or Deepthought.png should be replaced with the grass wallpaper. The grass one looks like Windows7 / Vista and adds more variety. Stardust and Deepthought look very similar,so one of them must go :).. Blue grass 40kb, Stardust & Deep Thought max 3kb each? Nah!
- How about using the enhanced JWM with the rounded corners and without those ugly window button separators? ... not in this release; we have a feature lock. Patriot agrees it's not ready yet.
- The new Puppy Control Panel is not in 4.2 RC :( ...still in development
- Remove XCalc? Do we need two calculators? ... comes built in with the Xserver which is why it hasn't been removed
- Do we really need two font viewers and two clipboard managers? ...Xclipboard and Xfontsel are built in with the Xserver which is why they haven't been removed. - all such apps are so small as to be not significant to size and would stand alone if they provided better functionality - that's why they have been supplemented with more comprehensive apps such as Galculator, Gfontsel and Parcellite.
- Barry's RP-PPPOE GUI looks ugly,it's too simplistic and not user friendly.How about replacing it with the original RP-PPPOE GUI? ...considered and discarded on size considerations. May revisit that for the next version which will likely be a beefier CE rather than this Standard edition.
panzerpuppy wrote:There's still a lot of stuff I haven't tested yet :)
Which prompts me to ask where was your testing when we needed it back in Alpha and Beta phases? Or even in RC1? Very little has changed in terms of your reported "issues" since those earlier releases, so why wait until the penultimate release? First Alpha was January 17!!! There would have been a lot less "red" in my response above if you had joined the testing effort much earlier.

pa_mcclamrock

#36 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:My replacement code for /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh wasn't substituted for the previous code, as I thought it was going to be
I've looked everywhere for this. I wanted to include it - had included it - but it was inadvertently overwritten by another package and I couldn't find your original again despite searching most of the posts in the Bugs & Fixes threads back to Alpha4!! Please post it here again and it WILL be included. :roll:
OK, here goes:

#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
	$win delete
	update
	exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
	-children [list $nowbox $waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
	$::wait configure -text "Waiting"
	after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
		$::win delete
		update
		exec mtpaint -s
	}
}
--Linus Torvalds

pa_mcclamrock

Re: widgets

#37 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

sata80 wrote:I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.
Doesn't happen in IceWM, at least on my system--but I first applied "Edit --> Clear List" in the Pwidgets menu, and then I also removed "show widgets" from startup. [EDIT: Now I just used the "Stop" option too. Surely one of these methods will work for you, but it would be nice to have the best method made more obvious!]
--Linus Torvalds

panzerpuppy

#38 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:Which prompts me to ask where was your testing when we needed it back in Beta phases? Or even in RC1? Very little has changed in terms of your reported "issues" since those earlier releases, so why wait until the penultimate release? First Alpha was January 17!!! There would have been a lot less "red" in my response above if you had joined the testing effort much earlier.
I was busy testing Woof and working on my 'secret Puppy project' ;)
(coming soon)

ttuuxxx

#39 Post by ttuuxxx »

I have seamonkey down to 11MB now, I'll keep that version and try one last time, also Pwidgets have been reported taking
'As I said somewhere else, TOP shows that the widgets use a total of 14 percent of my 256MB ram, and it shows in speed. '

now 14% of 256MB memory installed is terrible and you do need to consider the fact the puppy is made for older computers also, what kind of memory resources does it take on a 128mb pc? has anyone tried this?
also the poll I made has never went lower than 72% against widgets being installed by default, thats after 49 votes so far, Its still up to you WhoDo of course, but if puppy isn't useable on older pc's we might as well beef it up to 150MB iso. Most don't want Pwidgets what so ever, then after that they don't want it installled, actually the only people who want it is the guys working on it, Lobster and probably you. And it takes 500kb Compressed as a pet. Really I would rather have Gtk sum at 120kb over those widgets anyday and have 400kb left over.
take you time and maybe read the poll, truely pwidgets should be a complete pet in root with the puppy pin desktop icon pointed to it, nobody also wants the 133 new system links, I don't want you upset WhoDo like last time, but really man puppy doesn't need to lose users because they can't boot up anymore, that would be all 128MB memory users and less.
ttuuxxx
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39511

panzerpuppy

#40 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:- Is there any way to prevent the clock widget from being moved? Weird,'cause the other widgets can't be moved. ...that's because Xonclock is a separate application only blended to the widgets. Make a "suggestion" in the Pwidgets thread if you want this feature changed
01micko wrote:We are thinking of doing this by default. Go to ~/.xonclockrc and edit "moveable = true" to false.
Fixed for RC4 ;)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 02:29, edited 3 times in total.