A Litteral barebones puppy!! YAY!

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Alucard_the_dex

A Litteral barebones puppy!! YAY!

#1 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

How about a litteral barebones puppy that comes with only a few basic standerd programs. Or Maybe recall it remaster puppy? a puppy with nothin on it so you install everything then remaster? Idk I just thought there was no big difference in what came with barebones puppy to the official puppy i think. correct me if im wrong plz Lol must remmeber im still considerd new.
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

#2 Post by Guest »

:o Pizzasgood is already working on one for 1.0.7! I did not know that!

Dex

Petr

bare bones

#3 Post by Petr »

Many years ago there was an attempt to market a machine that was just a web browser. An excellent idea, and particularly since web mail has become so acceptable. As I understand it, there was no visible opperating system. So how about a puppy that, by default, boots to Mozilla? After that, you get to add a word processor, image editor, programming environment and so on.

P.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: bare bones

#4 Post by Lobster »

Petr wrote:Many years ago there was an attempt to market a machine that was just a web browser. An excellent idea, and particularly since web mail has become so acceptable. As I understand it, there was no visible opperating system. So how about a puppy that, by default, boots to Mozilla? After that, you get to add a word processor, image editor, programming environment and so on.

P.
This is possible and a good idea though I would recommend Firefox as easier to use or Flock or even (though different to your original intention) a 4 Browser Puppy - I had a go with this but am using 107a (4 browsers = Mozilla Opera Firefox and Flock)
Combine it with Web2 applications some of which are here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OnlineResources

Using code from ByzantineOS and XUL would enhance this possibility. It is rumoured that Google is working on such a project. By the time they anoounce their beta we can have been there and printed the T-shirt

Who is up for "Browser Puppy"?

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I don't know how to do it, but I think that's something that Puppy can easily be customized to do.

Alucard_the_dex

#6 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Good idea But should it really start right into the browser? That might get annoying when the user starts to use it for more tasks then internet.

The Main Programs should be something around the lines of.

Gxine - For Media
Firefox/Opera/Mozilla/Dillo
Im Thinking it should come with Xhippo For a simple Song player
Beaver And leafpad
Xpaint Or MTpaint Idk which would be better
Gaim
Xchat Preset For Puppys Channels
MUzip For its Simplicity of drag and Drop Unziping For newcomers

Mostly thats about it.

We can make it use a Different PupFile Such as maybe PupNet.

The Menu Should be One Menu No Submenus, Except For The control panel Setup and utilities, Since This is mainly A Internet Bare puppy there shouldn't be any more bulk then needed.

FVWM95 For the Windows manager

Edit:

I was thinking If this is a mainly Internet puppy How about make the Pupfile smaller and try to compact everything to conserve ram?

RMW

#7 Post by RMW »

I'd leave out the chat programs, a lot of people don't use them at all.

Alucard_the_dex

#8 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

RMW wrote:I'd leave out the chat programs, a lot of people don't use them at all.
Are you kidding me dude? Almost Every body I know uses a Chat Program Many of the puppy guys use um to my knowledge. If this is a internet puppy then Everything needed to do everything on the internet needs to be on it MAJORLY a web browser and a chat program.

EarlSmith

#9 Post by EarlSmith »

As fast as Puppy loads and as small as it is already, It already is a web Puppy. Just ignore the rest of the stuff on there.
On the other hand, I do like the idea of a barebones to internet Puppy that lets you install only the programs you want. Even a cd that Barry or someone sells that has all the stuff we may want so we can pick and choose and then burn a "MyownPuppy". I think we almost have that now.
Puppy is so close to being "everymans" linux it is scary.
One minor thing I would like though is the ability to arrange the menus the way I like them - minor problem.

Alucard_the_dex

#10 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Well the Whole Idea is A internet puppy to run on a Old underpowerd Low resource COmputer So pple who only wanna Go on the internet can use any old computer.