Rox bug when deleting large folders quietly?

Please post any bugs you have found
kirk

Rox bug when deleting large folders quietly?

#1 Post by kirk »

Sometimes when I delete large folders and click the quiet check box, all the icons disappear from the desktop after it deletes a number of files. I have to restart xwindows to get it back. If I just hold down the enter key to delete everything in a folder, no problem. I've been compling games and have some large folders. I've had this happen on different computers and with many new pup001 files.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

kirk,
I haven't had that problem.
I have deleted some very large folders, and the only thing is it can take a long time.
Often I just run "rm -rf foldername" on the commandline to avoid the delay.

I wonder if Rox is requiring excessive temporary memory during the deleting, that is causing your problem?
My ramdisk is effectively about 500M, as I have a swap partition, so unlikely to fill up /tmp.

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Yes, that seems to be the case. Just thought it was strange that it only happened when the quiet button was checked. Minor problem anyway.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:kirk,
I haven't had that problem.
I have deleted some very large folders, and the only thing is it can take a long time.
Often I just run "rm -rf foldername" on the commandline to avoid the delay.

I wonder if Rox is requiring excessive temporary memory during the deleting, that is causing your problem?
My ramdisk is effectively about 500M, as I have a swap partition, so unlikely to fill up /tmp.
Looking at my own post, I don't see why Rox would need that much temp memory to delete. So, no, I have no answer to your problem.

Glitchman

I ran into this too

#5 Post by Glitchman »

I seem to recall running into something like this as well when I was trying to get rid of the beta Mozilla from Puppy 1.04. Needless to say, I didn't trust 1.04 and went back to 1.03 for quite a while because of this unpredictable bug (since I never knew for sure what was really deleted.)

Normally I don't mind trying to re-create bugs (I enjoy doing so) but when it comes to random deletions of files, I'm afraid to ever go back to Puppy 1.04....

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy sometimes crashes on me

maybe Puppy is a little less stable since the /.usr_cram and the /.usr_devx mount points started being used?

i know other live distros like Knoppix were having some stabilty problems with unionfs

yesterday Puppy crashed (i had downloaded a movie, about 160 megs, to /tmp ... ram ... and Puppy crashed not long after i finished playing it) ... the rox pinboard disappeared and most programs wouldn't start, like rxvt, firefox, gxmessage ... kp could run though ... i've wondered if sometimes /usr disappears ... in this case, i would think kp wouldn't start if /usr was missing

anyway, i could shutdown X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, but i couldn't restart X ... or run anything from console mode, not even ls ... there wasn't a # prompt either

i have /sbin/check_space commented out in .xinitrc

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Yes, unionfs can start misbehaving.

I plan to upgrade it soon, hopefully it will improve.