Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded the fourth and final final :P Release Candidate for Puppy 4.2 Deep Thought with Seamonkey and Claws mail. There are no major issues remaining to be resolved, having settled the CUPS printing issues and the wireless networking problems as well as ALL of the minor niggles from the RC3 Bugs & Fixes thread:

Known issues:

1. The Pwidgets Clock-analog plugin doesn't appear (first boot only) until you click an icon or the background.
2. I still haven't set /usr/share/doc/home.html as the default home page for Seamonkey. It's there and contains the link to the puppy web portal but you'll need to add it manually to test.

New applications include Pwidgets (2.0.5) and PBurn (2.2.2). This release has been all about squashing niggling minor bugs, polishing and adding some minor changes to usability.

Coolpup has continued to submit back-end updates as have aragon and ttuuxxx. The localisation team including esmourgit and droope have continued to supply localised scripts. Zigbert, trio, 01micko and tasmod are still churning out new versions of Pwidgets. Lobster and ecomoney are working on publicity. Pizzasgood, Dougal, Patriot, rerwin and MU are working behind the scenes supporting various parts of the program. All have my sincere thanks, along with the myriad of willing testers, for their support of the project.

NOTE: All mirrors now require login - UserID = puppy, Password = linux

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-rc4/
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

If the mirrors don't show the new release yet it's probably because the admins haven't had time to move the files to the download area ... try again later.

This release is 99.32Mb, including so we are within our target weight for the final release. I will have a "tiny" surprise for FINAL which should be uploaded in 48 hours if all goes well with testing in RC4

Enjoy!
Last edited by WhoDo on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 14:32, edited 3 times in total.

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Attachments
NewerBlinkyFreemem-v2.pet
(883 Bytes) Downloaded 1524 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 21 Mar 2009, 14:17, edited 4 times in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok Got it on the first link :)
Thanks
ttuuxxx

drongo

#4 Post by drongo »

Can't find any bugs so far. Pwidgets seems much faster. Has seamonkey been updated, it seems more stable than RC3?

Got to go to work now.

Thanks to all.

ags

Chooselocale script can't find Internet Connection

#5 Post by ags »

I'm running RC4 in virtualbox, with 256 MB ram, 512 MB swap and I'm surfing on the net. When I use the "fetch" button in the chooselocale script I can see brief network activity (Blinky) and then I get the message that there is no internet connection. Tried with and without savefile, but same result.

Something else; In RC4 Seamonkey offers automatic update. Can this option be used without breaking anything?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Pleased to report that Abiword does not crash when adding a pic and right clicking on pic (in fact very nice demo clip art is there . . .)

Tried in fresh DVD boot and also just using as an update from rc3
Feels good 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

drongo wrote:Has seamonkey been updated, it seems more stable than RC3?
No, but Flash has been bumped to 9.0.159 so that may account for it.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: Chooselocale script can't find Internet Connection

#8 Post by WhoDo »

ags wrote:In RC4 Seamonkey offers automatic update. Can this option be used without breaking anything?
Like everything else in life, there are no guarantees. I've used the Seamonkey update option many times without problems. That doesn't mean the same will hold true for you or anyone else, and not just on Puppy either. The golden rule is backup, backup, BACKUP!

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Either I'm mistaken but you didn't use the spellcheck fix I made and posted for abiword and claws mail, and You didn't use claws mail 6.0.0 which I also provided for ssl, So we don't have spellcheck and we don't have working SSL in the email.
I think you may be mistaken. I'm writing this on RC4 and Abiword spell check works just fine since I blended in your fix - first time EVER for me I might add. I haven't tried Claws mail yet, but I'm not too worried about that either. I used the 3.6.0 version you supplied as suggested and according to your tests with tronkel that's the one that has SSL working.

Where are you testing, ttuuxxx? Mine's on a clean partition with no pup_save.2fs file to confuse matters. I do it that way to make sure the first boot works properly and not just after a pup_save has been created.

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo

Looks very nice so far... Tried ReMax... and (sorry blingy boys) wanted to uninstall Pwidgets.... 1.9-6? Man that's old! (cuppla days!)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#11 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:It looks like you didn't add any of my fixes from page 2, ???
whats up with that?
WTF are you looking at, Jeff? :shock: The Burn2iso fix is IN, the Set-Time-Date is IN, Abiword and Claws fixes are IN. I left out Geany font because I implemented a workaround. I didn't use New Blinky + Freememapplet because they were complications I didn't need at this stage of development.

Are you sure you even HAVE the RC4????? Didn't get RC3 again by mistake or something? :?
ttuuxxx wrote:If your ignoring my work then say so,So I'll stop wasting my time.
ttuuxxx

Ps I did mention atleast 5 times that my work is also in page 2 of RC3.
Ok, settle petal! Since when have I EVER "ignored (sic) your work"? Do me a favour and click on Set_Date_Time and tell me what you get because I get your updated one with the little "Warning" on the Set Time page. It is Friday night ... have you been drinking?!? :roll:

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Looks very nice so far... Tried ReMax... and (sorry blingy boys) wanted to uninstall Pwidgets.... 1.9-6? Man that's old! (cuppla days!)
I haven't uploaded changes to ibiblio.org since RC3; that's why you aren't getting Pwidgets-2.0.5 in the uninstall options. You won't get Pburn-2.2.0 either! I have a few minor changes to make before uploading Final and then I'll update the main repository. After that you should be able to do whatever you like.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote: I haven't uploaded changes to ibiblio.org since RC3; that's why you aren't getting Pwidgets-2.0.5 in the uninstall options. You won't get Pburn-2.2.0 either! I have a few minor changes to make before uploading Final and then I'll update the main repository. After that you should be able to do whatever you like.
Ok, no worries.

Intriguing the Xonclock problem. I am running in ram, save back to cd, and no problem.... :?

tasmod

#14 Post by tasmod »

Just looking at screenshot with weather showing.

Just a tip, but those who want the name not in capital, just run plugin again from menu and type over the name as you wish before re-applying.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

WhoDo

#15 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Just looking at screenshot with weather showing.

Just a tip, but those who want the name not in capital, just run plugin again from menu and type over the name as you wish before re-applying.
Didn't work for me, Rob. It may be an Accuweather thing rather than a problem with the plug-in. The plug-in dialog works great though. Saves the average user from having to wade through a config text file to find what they need. Much MUCH better IMHO.

Cheers

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

Edit:

Hmmm!

Think I need a drink.
Because i never noticed the shade in RC3.

Unless the video is going.
No probs in XP??? just 5 minutes ago.

So my screen is the same RC3 to RC4..

///////////////

As usual used puppy pfix=ram

runs fine and then I see my desktop using
Xvesa as always....oops!

First time ever I've seen this...runs fine on RC3

Of course it could be my magnetic personality???

There is shade on 4th right quarter...sorry about the image size.
Couldn't quite see how to resize it.

Chris
Last edited by cthisbear on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#17 Post by tasmod »

Hmm, odd. Not my widget but I do this all the time after an upgrade, such as now.

If you open menu item Plugins, then select weather it should bring up highlighted line of the current setting (If you have set it already).

Clicking with mouse at end of line should allow you to delete back and then Enter name in Lower case.

I've just done that on this and two other machines. It fetches location in capitals and is applied, then reopen and alter to lower case.
Ah well.

There is also an update plugin for World Time in pwidgets thread which allows selection of area. It also should follow DST. The City field can be a name of users choice, so a unique identifier can be used. Such as 'Mum' 'Brother' etc.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo To answer your Questions, now I haven't been drinking, Actually come to speak about drinking, I haven't had a drop in 2 months, I do that every once and awhile, to give my liver a break,lol

I hope to hell I didn't burn the wrong iso image, boy I would look like a fool, hmmmmmmmm I deleted my pupsave and made a new one, it must be the iso mixup, oh by the way what issues with blinky, I tested that visual upgrade and freemomory on 3 machines and they all worked perfect on JWM? anybody else upgraded your blinky on JWM.
feel free to test it, heres a link and report back your findings. :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=16178
ttuuxxx

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

tasmod wrote:Just looking at screenshot with weather showing.

Rob
Tried everything I can think of .. even editing /tmp/Weather.tmp! :lol:

Crab is a nice touch though... 8)

William (Dthdealer)

#20 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

This candidate is a disgrace

Why is the release candidate discarding the Puppy heritage of lean and mean to copy the world's worst operating system? Vista cursors, widgets and horrible GTK and JWM themes on top of the rancid new icon scheme make me want to drop puppy permanently. Programs have been stripped to make space for a glossy but gouged and bleeding UI and the old icon scheme has been scrapped for more 'modern' shiny themes.

Yaf-splashes now have super-clashing colour-schemes (green on yellow?) and the old dialog system has been replaced with text-boxes that look like you can edit them. Worst of all, Puppy is gaining more flab than you can poke truck at.

Is this moving forward or is this moving backward??? Puppy needs dogfood, not Vista bites

If this candidate represents the later releases of puppy, I'm leaving. :cry: