Woof Alpha 3

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Woof Alpha 3

#1 Post by tronkel »

I got a successful build with Woof Alpha 3 dPUP I'm writing this forum message from dPUP 014

As with Alpha 2, this has been the only Puppy to date that recognises the ATI Radeon 3450 video card out of the box. No need for the proprietary fglrx driver. This system is fast.

No joy with CUPS. I tried to install HPLIP, but the there were so many dependencies listed (most of them nothing to do with HPLIP) that the system seemed to give up.

Downloading the packages was fast from the Debian server and was only missing 2 packages. I started the 2createpackages script which halted at the places corresponding to the 2 missing packages, libdevmapper and xserver-common. I googled around and found something that seemed to be equivalent to them, renamed them to the expected names, whereupon the script ran to termination and exited.

The ISO seemed to build OK. Booted straight into X with full 1400 X 900 screen resolution

I then installed Iceweasel and Icedove. That was also straight-forward.

So only remaining issue for me is CUPS printing.

Great job Barry
Last edited by tronkel on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

dinky

#2 Post by dinky »

Hi tronkel, you can probably replace cups with the puppy version; to my understanding pet packages should work fine. I think there will be numerous issues with various packages from each distro that won't work, but the base development is there.

I'm experimenting with the upup iso, and loving the new package manager. Very slick. Will post more soon.

~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

I got a successful build with Woof Alpha 3 dPUP
Excellent news Tronkel. :)

I tried the already built upup (ubuntu pup) and it did not work for me . . . stalled at the Nvidia (which it recognised) card setup - tried generic, changing resolution and horizontal holds etc - nope it wasn't having it..
Barry mentioned supporting an RPM based distro, personally I would favour Red Hat/Centos as they offer a great deal back to Linux.
If anyone creates and uploads a slackware or your debian build, I would like to try it. Failing that I suppose I could build my own :)
Dinky is talking about creating a puplet based on an Alpha release . . .?

Take the red pill
Puppy 'Innovation' Linux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#4 Post by tronkel »

Package management in dPup is looking good.

Just installed claws-mail 3.50 complete with all the plugins. All seems to be working OK. This is something Ttuuxxx has been compiling for 4.20. It works very well as a binary package install in Woof Alpha3.

I'll make this build my working distro now. Will also try it on the Classmate PC and the Asus 901 eeepc

@dinky:

Had a go with installing a recent CUPS pet from the forum. With hpijs ppd driver I get the dreaded foomatic-rip failed message. Will keep trying though

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Woof Alpha 3

#5 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Downloading the packages was fast from the Debian server and was only missing 2 packages. I started the 2createpackages script which halted at the places corresponding to the 2 missing packages, libdevmapper and xserver-common. I googled around and found something that seemed to be equivalent to them, renamed them to the expected names, whereupon the script ran to termination and exited.
Ok, I'll checkout that problem with package names.

I have just fixed bugs in 0setup for the Arch build (Michael emailed me about it) and uploaded woof-alpha3.1.tar.gz -- but, it only has changes pertaining to the Arch build.

Right, I have got to get CUPS working! I haven't looked at that at all since I started the Woof project. I'll be home in a few days, then will do it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

lluamco

hplip

#6 Post by lluamco »

@tronkel:
As far as cups and hplip, have you tried the recent Patriot's pets?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 434#286823

smil99

upup freezes upon mouse click

#7 Post by smil99 »

Sorry I posted this earlier in Barry's blog. I guess this is the right place to post.

I tried running Intrepid Puppy alpha3 on my Sharp PC-AL60GB laptop but the system freezes upon clicking any of the icons on the desktop. I booted also with acpi=off option and got the same result. I have had no such behaviour on the said laptop when running any of the Puppy 4.2 and earlier ones. Is there any fix for this anomaly?
Interestingly, it runs perfectly on my Fujitsu FMV DeskPower C4/80L desktop.

gerry

#8 Post by gerry »

Ive tried upup Intrepid 015 iso:
Live cd on my old 600MHz 256MB machine, no problems so far.
Live usb on my Acer Aspire One, and wireless connection worked with no problem.

What glorious bling-free desktop- it won't last though, will it?

Gerry

Terryphi

Package Manager - installed packages

#9 Post by Terryphi »

There is a slight problem with the Package Manager. The last entry in the installed packages is hidden - although if I arrow down it comes into view. I don't know if this is only a problem at some resolutions - mine is set at 800x600.

dogone

Alpha3 pre-built upup fails X start

#10 Post by dogone »

As happened with the upup provided with alpha 2, the alpha 3 upup fails to start X on my hardware (see attached). xorg.conf looks reasonable - have not examined .xinitrc. I've had no such problem before with Puppy on this hardware.
Attachments
dogone_hardinfo.html.gz
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

tronkel

#11 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
If anyone creates and uploads a slackware or your debian build
I've just uploaded the dPup ISO to puppylinux.asia that I mentioned earlier. Caneri has to transfer it from puppylinux.asia to puppylinux.ca before you can download it though.

Get it here when it's ready:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel

dogone

#12 Post by dogone »

It appears alpha 3.1 is still having difficulty with some Arch package names. My apup DOWNLOAD-FAILS-tar-gz contains two entries:

libldap-2.3.43-3
-i686.pkg.tar.gz

The first is listed in Arch repositories. The second appears a package name parsing error. I suppose both could result from Arch's inconsistancies, but therein lies Woof's challenge.

dogone

alpha 3.1 apup - reports execute flagging errors

#13 Post by dogone »

Alpha 3.1 3builddistro is flagging many execute flag errors in /lib and /usr/lib. An example:

.ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `/usr/lib/libcap.so.1.10'

If I correct the flagged files and re-run 3buliddistro, the script re-creates those files with execute flag turned off and the errors appear again.

tronkel

#14 Post by tronkel »

Iluamco wrote:
As far as cups and hplip, have you tried the recent Patriot's pets?
Thanks for the tip Iluamco. CUPS now works in Woof alpha 3 :shock:
I overwrote the built-in CUPS version with patriot's pet as you mentioned earlier and also installed HPLIP. HP Officejet now works with the Gutenprint driver. No scanning as yet though. This could save Barry a lot of time struggling with CUPS. Hope he reads this.

Also successfully used Woof to install the Debian Lenny version of the Tilda drop-down terminal. Should this also be included in 4.20 I wonder? Maybe Ttuuxxx could make a pet for this.

There will soon be no good reason for me to use Debian at all. Woof is really starting to motor now.

dogone

Alpha 3.0/3.1 apup - 3builddistro errors

#15 Post by dogone »

Alpha 3 and 3.1 3builddistro reports the following AND those in the attached.

/usr/bin/sylpheed: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/sylpheed)
/usr/bin/sylpheed: /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/sylpheed)
Attachments
dogone_alpha3.x_apup_3builddistro_missing.gz
Alpha 3 and 3.1 apup - 3builddistro flags many missing libs
(922 Bytes) Downloaded 485 times

dinky

#16 Post by dinky »

@Lobster

Yeah, Barry mentioned on his blog that he was using the latest test kernel for alpha 3... I hope he only meant for the intrepid puppy iso... that might have something to do with your card problems. I'm very keen to create a pupplet from the alpha release... not perfect, but more than ready for it. Easy enough to replace any needed files when making a pupplet anyway.

Right now I'm playing around with getting compiz-fusion running Some success with intrepid Puppy. Haven't made a build yet, want to sort compiz. Will post more when I get it working. More success with wow's pet for puppy 4 than with compiz from the ubuntu repositories. We'll get there...

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#17 Post by Béèm »

I tried upup 015 as well. In fact I am posting with it.
I was very pleased, that this is the first pup that supported my second e-sata connected HDD.

However, I don't get the message which asks for saving a save file.

Does anyone know what the prefix is for the _save.sfs?
I can create an empty one. I had to do this in other versions of puppy as well.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rhadon

#18 Post by rhadon »

Hi Béèm,

I've had the same problem. I think this happens if there are other .2fs files readable.
On my EeePc900 I booted from USB and got the usual message 'Type a number to choose which personal file to use' ( I have several pup_save files on SDHC card). If I use '0' for no file, at the end of the session there is no question for saving to a file.
Next I put out the SDHC card, booted again from USB, no .2fs file was available, and voilá, at the end of my session the dialog for saving to a file was there.
Btw. the prefix is 'upupsave.2fs'.

Hope this helps.
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

gerry

#19 Post by gerry »

I'm running upup 015 iso live cd on my 9-year old machine, on which I have to put in acpi=force at bootup if I want the m/c to shut down without use of the power button. But with upup, it shuts down! Has Barry cracked the problem at last??

Gerry

Jim1911

#20 Post by Jim1911 »

Using upup-015, I downloaded and installed KDE4.2 with only two errors. When I rebooted Woof, KDE4.1's startup screen appears asking for the user name and password which, of course had never been set. My only out was to shutdown and delete the pup save file. I was amazed that I was actually seeing the KDE4.2 boot up screen on pup and that I was able to download and install it. Woof really has potential.

Any ideas as to how to get past the user name and password prompts? This will probably be a problem regardless of which desktop is chosen, since setting up the user and password is normally part of the installation procedure for Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Jim