Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 05:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
decTOP Lucent/Agere Winmodem
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
granny

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 11:48    Post subject: Re: happy winmodem  

raffy wrote:
The 2.17 has a newer kernel, and the kernel of 2.16 seems to make winmodems happy enough. Smile

I wonder if using the "retro" version of 3.01 will fix the problem (the "retro" uses the same kernel as version 2.16).

sorry folks if my question is already answered somewhere in the forum before but I am having a problem using the search function in the forum.

I don't know where did I read it or who posted it (sorry about that) but it goes something like that : ...""... since ver 2.17 Barry is using martian modem tool instead of the one used in 2.14 ,2.15 ,2.16..........."" or something in that concept.

you guys are great ,thats why I ask if someone kind enough to take the time to guid me in how to get my lucent \ager modem on my thinkpad to work on newer version....Please...Please.
Thank you

P.S I did try what was suggested in another topic to to remove ltserial from the black list and other tips didn't work either .
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar 2009, 11:33    Post subject:  

Hi granny,
Haven't we worked together before? Anyway, I am ready to help you. Please tell me what your equipment is, for a start. And which Puppy. Puppy 4.1.2 would be best, even the Retro, I think.

To clarify your perception of the martian situation, Barry tried it out and stuck with ltserial because he could not get martian to work with his PC(s). However, I have two Lucent/Agere cards with chips that do work with martian_dev. In 4.1 through 4.1.2 Barry has made sure that only the ltserial driver is loaded. In the new 4.2, that override is removed, allowing the martian_dev module to load for these modems.

So in 4.2, some modems will just not work with the default driver (martian_dev), but others will. My argument for making that change is that we should go with the supported driver and devise workarounds for the unlucky modems. The better workaround is to reinstate Barry's override in the Preferences list in BootManager. If it becomes obvious that a modem will never be supported by martian_dev, we can add an entry in /etc/MODULESCONFIG to do the override for only the specific modem (vendor and device IDs). In 4.1.x, to use martian_dev, just remove the line in the BootManager preferences list for martian_dev & ltserail.

How we proceed depends on what version of Puppy you want to start with. And there is no harm is staying with ltserial if it still works for you.
Richard
sky king

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2009, 04:59    Post subject: winmodem in 4.2
Subject description: WORKS!

Thank you rerwin for your perseverance in this problem. As a new Puppy user (owner?), I was a bit discouraged that I had to go back to an older version than 4.1 to get great winmodem detection. Now I have 4.2, and it's just as easy if not easier to set up (and not lockup) my HP with a Lucent.

Again, thanks for your efforts, I have wasted a lot of time and had no joy with winmodems in 4.1, retro or newer. I am now off to try the new release on my Averatec lappy with a SmartModem. Will report on success there if it works.

I was starting to get used to the 2.16 version of Puppy, just as a dialup alternative (painless winmodem recognition), but now I think I'll stay with the more modern 4.2.

Way to go!
sky king

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2009, 23:29    Post subject: Averatec SmartLink onboard not recognised
Subject description: oh well

I have not had luck with Pupdial in 4.2 recognizing the SmartLink built-in modem on this Averatec 3150. As 4.1 did, the Conexant PC Card modem is recognized and works fine. Not a huge problem, just hoped 4.2 would work as it did in my HP with a Lucent.

As I stated above, Puppy 2.16 does fine with recognizing both of these winmodems. 4.1.2 doesn't get either one, and 4.2 gets the Lucent.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2009, 13:07    Post subject:  

sky king,
Thanks for your reports on your modems in 4.2. I would like to look into your SmartLink built-in modem in the Averatec. If it worked in 2.16, we should be able to restore it for 4.2.
How does PupScan describe it and the sound device, particularly the PCI vendor and device IDs? Since it might be part of your built-in sound device, maybe I need to tweak a script to recognize it; please tell me what the lsmod command lists, so I can see the sound driver name.
Richard
sky king

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 00:23    Post subject: I'll try
Subject description: to help with this (I'm quite curious)

I'll boot up in RAM without my PCcard modem plugged in to try to get the details you request. If that works well, I'll try to post them here. Thank you for your help. The explanation should probably go into a different thread than Lucent/Agere, I guess, but I appreciate your attention.
sky king

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 03:38    Post subject: crap!
Subject description: internal modem was recognized

I just finished a long explanation, but must have timed out. Short version now..

I blacklisted the VIA AC97 modem, made it forget previous settings, whatever that button is at the bottom and rescanned. It worked. Had to uncheck the top 2 boxes in PupDial. Hope it continues working.

Thanks!
sky king

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 03:42    Post subject: device ID's  

PCI Vendor is 1106

The device ID is 3068

Hope that helps.
sky king

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2009, 01:00    Post subject:
Subject description: ttysl0

Slamr seems to be working. I still have to try a couple times to connect, I may figure it all out yet. If I come across anything that might help someone, I'll post.

It is nice not having to remember to plug in the PCcard modem.
sky king

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2009, 00:33    Post subject: SmartLink modem has been working
Subject description: but slow

I have tried a couple other init 2 strings:

ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2 +MS=90

and

ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2 +MS=34

But haven't got any faster than about a 28K modem in the McAfee Speedometer.

Any hints?

Thanks!

but
sky king

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2009, 02:14    Post subject: Just found the control panel
Subject description: good info?

Here's what Kernel Modules shows:

Path /lib/modules/2,6,25/slmodem/slamr.ko

Used Memory 421.91KiB

Description SmartLink HAMR5600,SmartPCI56/561 based modem driver

Version Magic 2.5.25.16 mod_unload 486

Smart Link Ltd GPL

I really like the control panel, guys! Lots of cool stuff in there.
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
Jump to: