Is it possible to remove ati driver in Puppy 4.0?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
kagashe

Is it possible to remove ati driver in Puppy 4.0?

#1 Post by kagashe »

Hi,

I am Ubuntu user since version 5.04 and Puppy user since version 2.14.

My video card is Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M.

The ati driver worked well till Ubuntu 7.10 and Puppy 3.01. In Ubuntu 7.10 xrandr 1.2 was introduced and the driver worked well for my external VGA monitor.

In Ubuntu 8.04 the external VGA monitor became blank. This was due to bug in ati driver. I have followed the bug report on freedesktop.org on this thread.. The workaround was to use vesa driver.

This bug is applicable for all Linux distributions having Xorg 7.3 (including Puppy 4.0) and I have to use vesa driver.

The bug has been resolved and I have installed the updated ati driver available in Debian Sid (Unstable) in Ubuntu 8.04 and it is working. In Ubuntu it was simple. I removed the original ati driver (xserver-xorg-video-ati) and installed the new driver using dpkg -i. To satisfy dependency I also installed the radeon, r128 and mach64 drivers as well.

Is it possible to remove the present ati driver in Puppy 4.0? If yes, how?

If I can remove the ati driver in Puppy 4.0, I will compile the new drivers (ati, radeon, r128 and mach64) using sources from Debian Sid and try to use them.

kagashe

kagashe

Same ati driver in Puppy 4.2

#2 Post by kagashe »

I am disappointed to see the same ati driver in Puppy 4.2 which is not working for me.

It seems Xorg has not been updated in Puppy 4.2.

I tried after replacing ati_drv.so radeon_drv.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers from Debian but it seems the version of xserver also needs to be upgraded for these drivers to work.

kagashe