How to make a multisession Puppy CD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
ex-para

How to make a multisession Puppy CD?

#1 Post by ex-para »

What type of CD do I need to have the Puppy iso on and then save the files to. I have seen this option when saving in Puppy but I never seem to have the correct CD. Fat Dog is the version I will using.

Thanks in advance.

hayagix

#2 Post by hayagix »

I've used cdr, dvd-rw, and cdrw.

You have to make sure you burn the disk as multisession.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

First, multisession works better with DVDs than CDs. If all you have is a CD burner then you're stuck with using a CD. :) If you burn the CD with Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd in Puppy, then it is already potentially a multisession CD. You make it into a multisession by choosing to save to it when you shut down after you boot it the first time.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Multisession
aka Do NOT Finalise
aka Do NOT Close
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

If you use Burniso2cd you don't have to remember any of those things. It only knows how to burn the disk one way - the right way. :)

ex-para

What type of CD do I need to make a multisession Puppy?

#6 Post by ex-para »

Thanks for the replies, I don't have puppy yet to get Burniso2cd, the one I have is power2go and I don't see multissesion on it so can anyone point me to a free multissesion burner?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

The simplest and surest way is to burn a Puppy live CD (or better, a DVD+RW) with whatever burning program you have available that will do it. Once you have a working Puppy CD, you can then use Burniso2cd. If you used a rewritable disk to make the first live Puppy, you can blank it and use Burniso2cd to burn Puppy on it, all with tools you'll find in Puppy.

There are programs for burning a live CD in Windows that you can download for free but I can't think of their names. I'm sure someone in the forum can. :)

pudgypup

#8 Post by pudgypup »

Flash wrote:The simplest and surest way is to burn a Puppy live CD (or better, a DVD+RW) with whatever burning program you have available that will do it. Once you have a working Puppy CD, you can then use Burniso2cd. If you used a rewritable disk to make the first live Puppy, you can blank it and use Burniso2cd to burn Puppy on it, all with tools you'll find in Puppy.

There are programs for burning a live CD in Windows that you can download for free but I can't think of their names. I'm sure someone in the forum can. :)
Infrarecorder is what I used to burn my first puppy CD from xp. I saw a thread about using pburn or burniso2cd after you get puppy open to create a new writable CD using cd-r media, but you have to start somewhere.

Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

CDBurnerXP is for all Windows versions.
Is free.
Is very similar to Nero

Not the fastest though
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

ex-para

What type of CD do I need to make a multisession Puppy?

#10 Post by ex-para »

Thanks for the help, I got the gist of it OK.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Do you mean you got a multisession Puppy CD working? Tell us the details. Maybe someone else is following this thread, hoping to learn something.

alex12

#12 Post by alex12 »

OK. Let me see if I got it correct. Burn the iso but don't fix it. Then save to CD at shutdown. Anything I miss?

ex-para

#13 Post by ex-para »

I just stuck to instructions sent to me, I had more than one attempt but got it in the end