Deep Thought Default Desktop: Redundancy Reduction

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
floborg

Deep Thought Default Desktop: Redundancy Reduction

#1 Post by floborg »

So, let's set aside the bling/no bling debate, accept that the final release is blinged, and focus on improving it.

The default 4.2 desktop has a few items that do not really need to be there. These items duplicate a function or display and are circled in the image below. The pairs of colored circles indicate pairs of items redundant with one another.

Note: Yes, I know Geany and Leafpad are not exactly the same. Do we really need links to both on the desktop?
Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz | 2 GB RAM

WhoDo

Re: Deep Thought Default Desktop: Redundancy Reduction

#2 Post by WhoDo »

floborg wrote:The default 4.2 desktop has a few items that do not really need to be there. These items duplicate a function or display and are circled in the image below. The pairs of colored circles indicate pairs of items redundant with one another.
That was a conscious decision, floborg. Many of the items you claim as redundant are only considered so because the Ptray launcher is active. That is NOT the case when you go into Icewm, or if you disable the Ptray in JWM.

As for the use of two clocks and two Freemem/Puppy Space indicators it had been our original intention to take the versions out of the taskbar. The community complained that they wanted to see the time and space when a window obscured the desktop, so they went back in. I decided to leave the analog clock and Puppyspace on the Pwidgets panel so new users had the choice. These are each individually removable from Pwidgets or the taskbar subject to user choice. Puppy is all about freedom of choice.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

raffy

needed

#3 Post by raffy »

I've looked CPU usage and indeed the "bling" uses nil CPU power. What could come in the way is an endless modprobing (such as when the device priority list has a problem given the machine's unique build), or when a network scan is failing.

Perhaps a daemon to alert the user to a never-ending, >50% CPU-consuming task is needed?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ComputerBob

Re: needed

#4 Post by ComputerBob »

raffy wrote:I've looked CPU usage and indeed the "bling" uses nil CPU power.
That really depends on how powerful your CPU is.

Puppy 4.2 with bling used a significant amount of CPU power on a Pentium II-266 MHz PC with 160MB of RAM. So I installed Turbopup 4.2 Alpha 2 on it this morning and Turbopup is currently using almost none of that PC's CPU power.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

Ray MK

#5 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Agreed - did a similar exercise and got very similar results.

Even with "bling" turned on - TurboPup Alpha2 flies - and still uses only minimal resources.

That's on a 10yr old box with only 91mb ram, a 400Mhz celeron proc.
and a 248mb swap partition.

Did both a frugal and a full install on above machine - very usable.

Best regards - Ray

01micko

Re: Deep Thought Default Desktop: Redundancy Reduction

#6 Post by 01micko »

floborg wrote:So, let's set aside the bling/no bling debate, accept that the final release is blinged, and focus on improving it.

The default 4.2 desktop has a few items that do not really need to be there. These items duplicate a function or display and are circled in the image below. The pairs of colored circles indicate pairs of items redundant with one another.

Note: Yes, I know Geany and Leafpad are not exactly the same. Do we really need links to both on the desktop?
*scenario*... browser open fullscreen, Oh dear I need geany NOW, fling cursor up, *click*, geany opens... not bad eh?

Nice blingy circles and elipses in your screeny :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

`f00

#7 Post by `f00 »

(ref "links") Also note the difference between a launcher and a 'droptarget' (as Rox so kindly provides for those who still may drag-n-drop a file rather than accept the default handler or r-click,etc) .. wbar is my choice for a launcher but it doesn't do so well for d-n-d :|

Desktops come in all flavors as per your wm & sometimes relative to fm of choice as well :)