Complete newbie needs help with using CDs

Booting, installing, newbie
Tom

Complete newbie needs help with using CDs

#1 Post by Tom »

Hi there, firstly many thanks to the creator of Puppy- this is my first experience of Linux, and even though my dialup modem does not work it's not a problem as I'm getting broadband shortly :D

This is my problem:

I run Live-Puppy (which boots completely into ramdisk and saves data on pup001 on HD) and want to open music, documents and pictures in Puppy from a CD I created. I remove the Puppy CD, insert my music/pics/docs CD and...

How do I use Abiword, the Puppy media player and the Puppy paint programs to open the files from my created CD?

Help much appreciated with this simple question! :D
New Puppy

{www.fsdesign.co.nr}
-[how i built a personal puppy media centre, a writeup on puppy and some useful windows apps]-

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

My guess is that you haven't "mounted" the CD yet. Here's how:

First, put the CD in the CD drive. Then go to Start->Utilities->Mount/unmount drives. In the window that (eventually) shows up, you will see everything Puppy recognizes on your computer that can be mounted (notice your Windows partition?) Click on "cdrom." If all goes well, a green window should pop up in a second or two indicating "SUCCESS." You will now find that the CD drive will not eject the tray when you push the eject button on the drive. To retrieve your CD you must go back to Start->Utilities->Mount/unmount drives and click on the cdrom button again to unmount the CD. The CD tray should eject. Try it and see how it works.

Having mounted your CD you can now access the data on it. (You can do that with any other partition, including your Windows partition, after you mount it.) Exit the green "SUCCESS!" window and beneath it you should see a window with the contents of the CD that's in the drive. This window is the ROX file manager, which you can also open from Start->File managers.

I hope that answers your question.

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Many thanks! :D
New Puppy

{www.fsdesign.co.nr}
-[how i built a personal puppy media centre, a writeup on puppy and some useful windows apps]-

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

We have been discussing how to clarify this for newbies:

1. Run the CD/DVD drive Wizard, make sure /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd
point to the correct drives.
2. Run the Start -> File manager --> Mount/unmount drives program to
mount the CD/DVD, but ONLY IF YOU WANT TO ACCESS FILES
on the CD. For playing music or video leave it unmounted.
3. To play a music CD, insert CD, THEN start ripperX,
To play a DVD, insert DVD, then start Gxine, select DVD from menu.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks Barry. My answer left out some important information re using CDs in Puppy. :oops: