Can I compile from within Puppy? (Short answer: yes)

Booting, installing, newbie
shankargopal

#21 Post by shankargopal »

rarsa wrote:It has as much to do as the fact that the sky is blue.

This thread is about compiling applications under Puppy.

Puppy's installation/usage method is orthogonal to compiling under puppy. The only relation is that both are puppy topics.

Why did you try to 'apply' this thread to multisession?
I guess my question is this:

where do you put the usr_devx.sfs file, considering that multisession puppy doesn't create a pupxxx file? And how do you load it, since it won't load at boot?

Not so sure that it's entirely orthogonal... installation method makes a difference to where you put files, doesn't it? :)

Yaverot

#22 Post by Yaverot »

I agree that the directions aren't exactly clear in reguards to how to use the .sfs file with multi-session (it's indicates as a single line during boot that its loading, on my machine that line is visible for about a second) But I know it is possible to load it with multisession CD-R (haven't tried with DVD-R yet, but I remember seeing a forum comment on download to location X, then hit the save button - presto!), although I don't know which location I stuck it in (CD) is the one that took.

Once it is loaded the files are there, under usr/bin I think. It doesn't add any desktop icons, or to the menu, so once loaded you still need to look for it.

#23 Post by Guest »

http://www.pupweb.org/puppy/news.htm
Just download them to /root and reboot, they will be automatically loaded onto /usr. However, in the case of DVD, download them, burn immediately to DVD using growisofs, then delete the file

dtopham

#24 Post by dtopham »

rarsa wrote:Bottom line:

- Go to the puppy download page www.puppylinux.com
- Download usr_devx.sfs
- If you are using a pupxxx file: Put usr_devx.sfs in the same place where the pupxxx file is.
- If you have a HDD installation, put usr_devx.sfs under /
- Reboot puppy

that's it!
If there is a need to upgrade to newer versions of tools, e.g. to get the latest autoconfig, etc. does that mean they should be installed to /usr/bin and will override the ones in usr_devx.sfs because of the PATH order? Or can they be saved to the sfs file so as not to be duplicated? Or is that file refreshed periodically and we get a new one? (I recently have to upgrade some of the tools to compile some source code I got from sourceforge cvs)

MU

#25 Post by MU »

You always will need the usr_devx.sfs that belongs to the correct Puppy-version.

I store older ones (since 106) here:
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/

If you need newer tools, simply compile them.
The old ones will still be in usr_devx.sfs, but puppy uses the newer ones, that will go to /root/.usr , that is used preferebly as /usr to the .sfs-files.
(at boot-time Puppys virtual filesystem merges all that together as /usr).

You even can run "make uninstall" on your new programs (if they support that), then Puppy will use the old ones again.

Mark

simons101

#26 Post by simons101 »

i have installed usr_devx.sfs, yet i still get the below error

checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

this occurs on all apps i try to install

can anyone help me out on why this occurs

:)

MU

#27 Post by MU »

1st, be shure, to use the usr_devx.sfs for the correct puppy-version.
The file for 106 is different from 107.

If that is cleared, maybe you use a harddisk-install?
I found this among others searching the forum for "sanity":
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=22904#22904

So this command might help:
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.3.4 /usr/bin/gcc

Mark