Upgrade intel P3-700?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
MU

Upgrade intel P3-700?

#1 Post by MU »

Hi,

I got a Pentium 3 700 with 1 Gigabyte RAM.
I currently backup one of the inbuilt harddisks, then I want to install Puppy 107 alpha.

But I will keep XP for gaming.
As 700 mhz will be too slow for 3D-games like Doom3 or Quake4, I think of replacing the processor with a faster one.
But i have no idea, what could be used, as there are so many different sockets.

I think I would prefer an AMD-chip, as they are cheaper than Intel.
Do you know, what modern processors would fit into a Pentium3-socket?

The graficscard is a Radeon 7000 / Radeon VE (at least that driver is taken from XP, the microsoft-driver, not a vendor one).

Would it make sense, to use a new processor with such a graficscard? Or is it too outdated for newer games?

Thanks for any suggestions, Mark

mayakovski

Re: Upgrade intel P3-700?

#2 Post by mayakovski »

MU wrote:Hi,

I got a Pentium 3 700 with 1 Gigabyte RAM.
I currently backup one of the inbuilt harddisks, then I want to install Puppy 107 alpha.

But I will keep XP for gaming.
As 700 mhz will be too slow for 3D-games like Doom3 or Quake4, I think of replacing the processor with a faster one.
But i have no idea, what could be used, as there are so many different sockets.

I think I would prefer an AMD-chip, as they are cheaper than Intel.
Do you know, what modern processors would fit into a Pentium3-socket?

The graficscard is a Radeon 7000 / Radeon VE (at least that driver is taken from XP, the microsoft-driver, not a vendor one).

Would it make sense, to use a new processor with such a graficscard? Or is it too outdated for newer games?

Thanks for any suggestions, Mark
The reality is your ready for a new computer. You will not find a current (Modern) processor that will fit in a P3 socket. If you have Pentium type motherboard they you have to have a pentium type processor.

For an AMD processor you need an AMD compatible motherboard, they are not interchangable.

Also a Radeon 7000 LE is proably the bare minimum card for something like Doom 3.

your cheapest option will be a new tower, power supply, motherboard, CPU and maybe ram.

The RAM in your system will be SDRAM and most of the new motherboards use DDR.

Here is a great link to building your own computer.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1444

Let me know if you want me to list some reliable components for you, if so let me know what your budget is.
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

It's a law of nature that no AMD processor will fit a socket meant for a Pentium. :lol: The VIA C3 is the only processor I know that might interchange (Is it a socket 370? It will say on the socket.) I don't think any VIA C3 will perform as well as the fastest Pentium (probably a 1Ghz) that will replace the 700 MHz P3. You should know that a 1GHz P3 can dissipate around 50 watts, so your cooling, and possibly power supply, may also require upgrading. If you do all that you'll barely notice the change in performance. :(

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Ok, thanks.
No, I won't buy a nearly complete new PC just for gaming.
If it would have been done with just a processor - ok.
But if it needs more, I will not do it.

I still have several older games, that did not run on my notebook, the P700 will be ok for them :)

Now I just have to find out, why Puppy 107 won't boot on it - get a black screen with no message at all.

Thanks, Mark