Bluetooth & D-Bus, January 08

Core libraries and systems
Chewi

#61 Post by Chewi »

plugz is considered obsolete now. All you need now is Bluez 3.16 and ALSA. See this wiki page. I've successfully done it this way on Gentoo but if you're walking around and it starts losing signal, things can get a bit flakey. I'm waiting for PulseAudio to finish adding its bluetooth support, though that wouldn't be appropriate for Puppy.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

gary101

#62 Post by gary101 »

Thanks for your reply Chewi

I was having a look at the page you linked as it looked simpler than some of the other ways I have seen.

However the reason I was asking about the Bluetooth-alsa-sbc+plugz.pet is that I thought it would provide /.asoundrc as I don't have this file to modify.

The bluez libs firmware and utils I have installed are all 3.24 so I presume these are OK

" 1, Make sure the audio service is installed
2, modify your ~/.asoundrc to contain...."

I am also presuming that I need to install the "audio service", is there a pet for this?

Cheers
Gary

Chewi

#63 Post by Chewi »

The .asoundrc file isn't usually needed so it doesn't usually exist. Just create an empty file with that stuff in it. The system-wide version is located at /etc/asound.conf.

The audio service is part of Bluez and is probably enabled by default.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

Antilles

#64 Post by Antilles »

Hi,

I'm trying to pair an Intemp Bluetooth speaker with my 4.12 puppy and having some trouble.

I've performed the steps in the first post (installing Bluez, modprobe, etc) and all went well.

Using hcitool scan and info find my speaker. When I use sdptool I get information back but nothing mentions a channel.

Now when I use hcitool cc to connect that completes but does not output anything and using hcitool conn shows nothing.

It looks like I'm failing to create a pairing with my speakers. Can anyone suggest what I should look for to get this to work.

One thing to note is the speaker instructions say that they only support A2DP profiles. How do I make sure that the connection is an A2DP connection as that might be the problem.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Thanks

Chewi

#65 Post by Chewi »

Just so people know, I'm vaguely thinking about updating these packages to Bluez 4.

It doesn't need any extra dependencies but the C version of the command line passkey agent isn't fully working right now. In fact, the version in the official tree doesn't work at all. There is a Python version that works but Puppy doesn't include Python.

Other userspace tools such as hidd have also disappeared in favour of applets that interact with D-Bus directly. The available applets aren't suitable for Puppy and someone would probably have to write a new one, similar to the other configuration tools it has. This probably isn't as difficult as it sounds.

Antilles

#66 Post by Antilles »

Any thoughts on how I can debug what my pairing problem is?

I don't know what all the bluetooth commands are and have tried to google all the ones referenced here but nothing shows that can provide detailed failure info.

Thanks

Chewi

#67 Post by Chewi »

"hcitool cc" is rarely needed for anything in my experience. You need to modify/create an .asoundrc/asound.conf file as mentioned at the top of this page. I think you also need to have passkey-agent running when you try to use the speaker. The pincode is usually 0000. To actually use it, you need to output to the ALSA device you added in the above file. With aplay, for example, you would add the option -Dplug:bluetooth. The "plug" part helps to ensure any necessary format conversion is done to the sound before sending it out.

Antilles

#68 Post by Antilles »

Thanks for the tips.

I tried your suggestions and also downloaded hcidump to see what was going on.

It looks like I'm failing the key/pin exchange. Not sure what is wrong with passkey-agent or if I'm doing something wrong.

I can do everything l2ping, all the hcitool commands but just can't pair. It's driving me crazy

Antilles

#69 Post by Antilles »

Bought a new BT dongle (now Belkin) which does not give me any errors in dmesg. However, all comments on the internet suggest that the errors should not give any problems except to fill your logfiles.

Tried everything again and still cannot pair to my BT speakers.

I also tried a fresh boot and checked dmesg before doing anything thing time. I found that puppy 4.12 loads Bluetooth drivers on boot?

Could this be my problem. Could it be that the install packages from the first page are being confused by what is loaded at the startup.

Has anyone tried setting up Bluetooth on a 4.12 puppy following the steps in this guide?

I'm so confused now

Chewi

#70 Post by Chewi »

It worked for me on Puppy 4.00. To be honest, Puppy isn't the best distro to try Bluetooth with for the first time.

Antilles

#71 Post by Antilles »

Thanks. I'll try 4.0 to see if that improves things. There are a few comments on the internet (various Linux flavours) that suggest newer kernels are causing some issues with pairing.

I'll report back if this fixes my problems.

Antilles

Quick update

#72 Post by Antilles »

I rolled back to Puppy 4.0 and again cannot pair the speaker with the computer. Using the dump tool it looks like the pass code just is not going through. All the rest of the bluetooth stack seem fine.

I've decided to just add a USB Audio dongle for now and have also rolled back to 4.12

This looked so promising when I started

burgiuk

#73 Post by burgiuk »

Hello everyone

After following an older thread I was pointed to this one and I have followed the instructions to the letter and I am pleased to say that it has worked! :D

Sort of... I am trying to transfer files from my phone to the PC and it keeps failing. Do I need to specify a directory to download to?

Hmmm... sorry I was going to paste the result I get from the console but I don't know the keyboard shortcut to copy, if anyone can tell me that first I can show you where it is failing.

I am using a Motorola RAZR V3i and an unbranded bluetooth dongle.

Thanks in advance![/code]

klasu777

Not working for Puppy 2.14

#74 Post by klasu777 »

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to run BlueZ on Puppy (version 2.14). I installed all PETs from this thread and when i run "hcid -n", i get the following error message:

I get the following error messages:
hcid: /lib/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.4 not found (required by hcid).

So, i suspect that HCID is requiring a GLIBC version that was released after my Puppy version. Do you think this is the case?

I need this Puppy version because it can run on systems without coprocessors. Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks,
Klaus.

Aitch

#75 Post by Aitch »

Hi Klasu777 [& burgiuk, if still around?]

Would recommend starting a new thread in 'beginners help' to get a better response - this is the 'additional software' section

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2

Sorry I don't know about bluetooth

Aitch :)

tempestuous

Re: Not working for Puppy 2.14

#76 Post by tempestuous »

klasu777 wrote:when i run "hcid -n", i get the following error message:
hcid: /lib/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.4 not found (required by hcid).
The bluetooth libraries and utilities in this thread are compatible only with Puppy 3.x and 4.x.
EDIT: For Puppy 2.x you must use the older bluetooth libraries contributed by forum member debernardis here -
http://www.debernardis.it/dotpups/experimental_BT_1.pup
D-Bus is not required with these older libraries.
I just added a note to the first post.
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 14 Apr 2009, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

klasu777

#77 Post by klasu777 »

Thanks for the pointer. I'm running problem after problem to get this running; i guess it's my inexperience with Puppy.

Given that the box on which i'm planning to run the result of this is very RAM-limited, i went on to run the same version of Puppy (i.e. 2.14 with no FPU) in virtuabox, running on a more powerful computer. I was hoping that giving it more resources there would make things easier.

Then i ran into gcc not being available in Puppy. After googling i found out that i need to install devx_214.sfs. That in itsself seems to be a non-trivial task. But i didn't even have the luxury of having this file completely downloaded. The reason: i couldn't mount the harddisk to allow Puppy to store the downloaded file. I will continue to report on my experience.

In the meantine, iw as wondering there is no pet or put package for this version of BlueZ.

Thanks,
Klaus.

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

klasu777 wrote:In the meantine, iw as wondering there is no pet or put package for this version of BlueZ.
What about the "BlueZ" packages provided by daemon, which I just mentioned?

klasu777

#79 Post by klasu777 »

I guess i'm missing something. I looked at those packages (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=2749 and http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=2747) and they contain some few .h, .c, and make files.

Which to me means that they need to be built (configure, make, make install). Am i right?

Or if i'm missing something, i very much welcome your help.

Klaus.

tempestuous

#80 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, sorry. I didn't realise that daemon packaged only the source code.
OK, those older BlueZ libraries/utilities were compiled by forum member debernardis, available here -
http://www.debernardis.it/dotpups/experimental_BT_1.pup