Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 06:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 12 of 13 [186 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2009, 22:49    Post subject:  

Marcel wrote:
However, I had to by-pass Ndiswrapper in the wizard, and instead, downloaded a NetcommXP set for NP544, which contains SiS163u.INF

Then your wifi device contains a SiS 163U chipset, not Ralink RT2571.
Since the SiS chipset has no native Linux driver available, then yes, ndiswrapper is your only choice of driver.
If your device truly had an RT2501 chipset then it would be supported by Puppy's "rt73usb" Linux driver.
slugsathome

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb 2009, 20:22    Post subject: Linksys WUSB54G v4  

Just installed Puppy 4.1.2 on a old Toshiba laptop. Using a WUSB54Gv4
Linksys adapter. Setup loaded the ralink 2500 driver. It would connect and DCHP worked but 90% of the time it would not browse and the few times it would it was VERY slow. Used the wizard and unloaded the ralink driver then used ndiswrapper to load the v4 .inf off the setup disk. Works great now!
HP-TQ-RPM

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 22:47    Post subject: Sierra Wireless Aircard 811  

Hi All! First post here. Smile

I installed Pupply a few days ago; the download and initial installation went fine.
When I went to setup my Sierra Wireless Aircard 811, I started by going to Puppy Setup / Connect to the Internet or Intranet / Internet by Wireless GPRS Modem / GPRS Setup.
Unfortunately, I entered incorrect information in the GPRS setup, and was unable to connect, so I spent the better part of the last 2 days reading everything I could here (Linux noob, so I didn't understand a lot of it.) I began to realize that I wasn't ever seeing the GPRS setup anymore, just the Dialup setup, if I clicked on it. After several hours of going around in circles, including multiple re-boots, and trips back to WinXP to connect so I could browse here, I deleted the pup-sys whatever from Windows and did a fresh install.
After the new install, I entered the correct information in the GPRS Setup, and it connected the first try-good thing, since clicking on the button by "Internet by Wireless GPRS Modem" doesn't bring up the GPRS Setup screen anymore.
Apparently this is a one shot deal!

Seriously, how does one get back to the GPRS Setup screen? Confused

Jonathan

Edit: After 4-5 days of pretty intensive internet usage, and a lot of downloads, I'm amazed to find that my Aircard (or my wireless connection via the Aircard) works BETTER with Puppy Linux than it ever did under WinXP. I used to have to try 3-4 times in order for a download to start. Once started they always finished with no problems, but a lot of times after clicking a "download" button the download progress indicator window would show that nothing was happening. With Puppy, every single download has started and completed successfully the first time. Smile Smile

thelash

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr 2009, 02:10    Post subject: Zyxel g202 usb wireless adaptor works on Pup420  

Connected zyxel g202 usb adaptor to an old beige xp box at work to get onto the work server.
Discovered that pup4.1 would load the zd1211 module for this adaptor, but would not work - couldn't get onto our network. Got online eventually using ndiswrapper and the xp driver but access to the local network via pnethood/samba very erratic. Lots of attempts needed, sometimes with success, sometimes not.
Setup pup420 - bingo! Seamless load and use of the zd1211 module, perfect first time every time access to the network and server.
Very happy puppy!
egosumpaul

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr 2009, 21:13    Post subject:  

Damn it! 6 months and still cannot make my PB S18 (AKA Kohjinsha SAx) wireless card work. It's a stupid Winbond card, I have the module (w35und.ko) but the load module app does not recognize it. Ndiswrapper is unusable since there is no .inf file on WindowsXP.
I like this distro so much, I even can avoid using the touch screen, but this 7 inches pc without wireless access to internet is useless.
Any suggestions?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr 2009, 22:36    Post subject:  

egosumpaul wrote:
I have the module (w35und.ko)

Obtained from where? Was it compiled under a fully Puppy-compatible kernel?
If not, try the version I just compiled now -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=295294#295294
egosumpaul

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 22:35    Post subject:  

Thanks!!! module loaded... supposed to be connected, but no internet at all. LAN works OK. Don't know the reason...
Any suggestion?
egosumpaul

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 22:42    Post subject:  

It works!!!! My fault. I run the wireless scanner, click on connect, voila!!

Many thanks! Now I will try to calibrate the touchscreen to make fully functional.

If you know how to calibrate I will appreciate your directions to do so.

Best

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2009, 06:23    Post subject:  

egosumpaul wrote:
Now I will try to calibrate the touchscreen to make fully functional.

Apparently the Koshinja laptop requires the "penmount" touchscreen driver/plugin.
See the serial touchscreen HOWTO here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=295651#295651

For your situation, substitute all references to "fujitsu-ts" and "fujitsu" to "penmount".
Mr Henderson

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr 2009, 11:59    Post subject: Inventel UR054G USB
Subject description: Works with Ndiswrapper

I've got the Inventel UR054G USB wireless adaptor working well under Puppy 4.2, with Ndiswrapper. These adaptors are quite common because at one time Wanadoo/Orange supplied them with its Livebox router. The computer is an old Sony Vaio notebook, c. 2001. I'm dual booting with Windows 2000.

I initially had the problem that the Windows .inf and .sys driver files weren't installed to the same folder, so Ndiswrapper couldn't do anything. It's no good just moving the .inf file into the same folder as the .sys file. They must be installed by Windows to the same folder, so you may have some work to do in Windows. If you need more information, read on....

I found I couldn't get the installation CD to run. I'm not sure it would have installed the files to the same folder anyway, because Windows seems quite happy with them in different folders. With a bit of Googling, I found an installable package which did the trick; I got it from http://members.driverguide.com/. To find the right page, Google 'DV3.3.25_UV3.0.8' (that's the name of a folder within the zip file).

I was installing on a PC which had never had the Inventel software. (This software is not essential for the adaptor to work under Windows; Windows 2000 and XP have the drivers.) If you do have it installed, it may be as well to uninstall it before the next step, because the new drivers come with an 'XtremeMultimedia Card Utility' that might conflict with the Inventel stuff. If I remember rightly, you now need to unzip the new package (obviously) and then run the autorun.inf file. This will install everything to a new folder in your Windows directory. It also seems to over-write existing copies of the driver files. The new folder is the one where Ndiswrapper must look for the PRISMA02.inf file.

Don't be confused by the fact that the driver files are called PRISMA02 - these are the drivers for the Prism54 chip, not the Prism2.

The adaptor continues to work fine under Windows, incidentally.

At first I still had a fragile connection, but it turned out to be a USB port problem, not a wireless problem.
Mr Henderson

PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2009, 18:10    Post subject: Netgear WG511T
Subject description: It works.

The Netgear WG511T PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter works with Puppy 4.2. Ran straight out of the box on my old Sony Vaio notebook.

It would be much better if there was a single list of all the tested wireless adapters. The information is getting lost in all the question-and-answer stuff.
spring

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 01:10    Post subject:  

intel minipci iwl4965 works fine on 4.2 with new firmware iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode in /lib/firmware.

the firmware download URL:
http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi/downloads/iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.57.2.23.tgz
edoc

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 19:59    Post subject:  

Why did Puppy 4.2.1 roll back to the old and less functional Network Wizard?

The Gigafast USB modem with ZyDAS chipset works on about everything end was fine under 4.2.0 but is not working in 4.2.1

The Old Network Wizard has me back in the slow and frustrating cycle of looking as though it is going to work and then failing over and over.

HardInfo sees the modem OK. I have rebooted with the nic in place - just in case it did not get picked up when inserted after I booted - no joy.

Is there a way to get the good Network Wizard back into 4.2.1?

I am afraid to upgrade my wife's desktop as I have a wireless device on there working fine under 4.2.0 but there are fixes in 4.2.1 I'd like to take advantage of.

Help?

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
mulrah

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2009, 20:17    Post subject:  Gateway WBM-120
Subject description: Finally got it to work. Here's how.

Setting this up is easy, now that I know what I'm doing. The trick is that there's an extra step after loading the right module, and that extra step varies depending upon which version of Puppy you are using.

For both Puppy 3 and 4, you need to load the orinoco_cs and orinoco modules, either at boot by using the Boot Manager or every time you boot using the Network Setup Wizard.

Then you need to bind the card to the driver. In Puppy 3, add the following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:

Code:
card "Gateway WBM-120"
  manfid 0x028a, 0x55b0
  bind "orinoco_cs"

You then need to restart card services by issuing "/etc/init.d/rc.pcmcia restart" in a terminal. The light on the card should start blinking, and then you will see the card in the Network Setup window, probably as eth1. If you are automatically loading orinoco at boot, then you should be set from now on.

In Puppy 4, you do not need to edit the config.opts file. Instead, issue the following in a terminal:

Code:
echo "0x3 0x28a 0x55b0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" > /sys/bus/pcmcia/drivers/orinoco_cs/new_id

You will have to issue this command every time you boot, unless you create a startup script that does it for you automatically.

I actually got these instructions from the Naked Ape Wiki (http://nakedape.cc/wiki/FedoraNotes), after HOURS of trying different modules and ndiswrapper. Finally, this worked!
mechmike

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2009, 22:54    Post subject: Re: $11.99 at meritline  

mechmike wrote:
http://www.meritline.com/ieee-802-11g-wireless-mini-usb-pen-drive.html

REALTEK 8187 Chipset, works with Puppy 4.1.1 on my notebook.

They run coupons periodically where you can buy this for $10 shipped in the US...

Here's the latest cheap RT8187L version:

http://www.meritline.com/wireless-mini-usb-2-pen-drive-adapter---p-33917.aspx

Looks like the adapter in my original link is no longer available.
Page 12 of 13 [186 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: