NForce audio support

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
CocKain

NForce audio support

#1 Post by CocKain »

Well, there was a topic containing request on nForce audio compatibility. But since the release of Puppy 1.02 with new kernel, I've tried modprobe with new integrated audio modules and it simply said smth like 'invalid package'. Seems like it doesn't recognize new package format.
Nevertheless I've tried even before this release, and none of the packages worked. So, my suggestion is to add some nForce audio support, so that these motherboards are now quite widespread ;) In fact even the built-in lan cards of these motherboards are recognized...
[i]always alert[/i]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi,

Which version of the nForce chipset are you using? I'm running an nForce2 ultra, and the audio automagically works upon bootup. One thing to make sure of, though...when I'm in windows, I'm using the digital sound output from my board, and there are currently no linux drivers to make nforce audio output digital sound. so when you boot into puppy you have to be sure to have your speaker system hooked up to the analog output of the board, and have your decoder box (if you have one) set to input through the analog input.

Hope this helps!

ND

CocKain

#3 Post by CocKain »

Well, I suppose this topic should be moved to howto or else then :)

To nduanetesh:
I've got nForce2 Ultra 400 on my MSI K7N2Delta-L, but even query-PCI script says it found no info about audio device (next time I'll bring it's report). Before 1.0.2 release I've tried modprobe with several ac97 modules and none of them worked. I always use analog outputs because I don't have digital one (and I've got very old speaker system ;)).
And about Linux drivers: I've downloaded nVidia driver package - is there a possibility to get audio drivers out of it?
[i]always alert[/i]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

OK, I'm running and Abit AN7 board with nForce2 ultra 400 chipset. I can't imagine that they're not using the same audio chip...so why wouldn't it work for you?

Hrmm....just for drill, could you check your bios and make sure that your onboard sound is enabled? I know you might think, "I know it's enabled, because it works in Windows!" Well, that's not necessarily so. I've seen hardware disabled in the bios but working in windows. I don't know how. It's magic, I guess.

Give me a day or so and I'll come up with the audio module that my 'puter is running...

Oh, and I guess I should mention that sound is not perfect on my 'puter. mp3s play great in Gxine, but other files sometimes have trouble...

ND
Last edited by nduanetesh on Thu 09 Jun 2005, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

OK, so that was less than a day or so...but here is what I get when I run lsmod

[blah blah]
i810_audio
ac97_codec (used by i810_audio)
soundcore (used by i810_audio)

And they seem to work. Are they not loaded on boot on your machine?

btw, I'm using version 1.0.2 at the moment, on a hard drive install, but my audio has always worked in puppy (and I normally run live-cds), so that shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and yes, this topic should be moved to the beginner's help forum, as this is a general initial-setup type question. hopefully JM is watching and will take care of that for us.

ND

PS, I've also got a module loaded called "forcedeth", and I have no idea what it does. Anybody got any ideas?

PPS, and to address your question about extracting the audio drivers from the nvidia driver package...I don't know. I think you'd probably have to compile the whole package and then pick the audio module out of the output. But depending on what the package requires for compiling, it may or may not be possible...

CocKain

#6 Post by CocKain »

I've checked my bios, you were right - audio is enabled. There's no magical things like that: winNTs simply ignore some bios settings and determine hardware by themselves.

I use 1.0.2 too, but on flash disk. May be there's something wrong because it is updated 1.0.1. You might have different codec. If I'm not mistaken your southbridge is mcp2-t whereas mine is mcp-t. It should have different codecs.

When I get back my livecd (I gave it to a friend so he could try it :)) I'll try original 1.0.2.

Meanwhile here's what query pci says about my system:
(2,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 68 (12,3) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 67 (12,3) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 67 (12,3) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 64 (12,5) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 60 (6,1) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1ef (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1ec (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1ed (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1ee (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1eb (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)
10de: 1e0 (6,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] (null)

===== parse_pci_devices =====
No info found about the device 10de. 6a (AUDIO)!
Please send a snapshot of this window to
puppy@goosee.com. Also read Modules HOWTO.
10de: 322 (3,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] DISPLAY (null)
12b9:1006 (7,128) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] COMM PORT (null)
10de: 1e8 (6,4) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] BRIDGE (null)
10de: 65 (1,1) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] EIDE (null)
10de: 6c (6,4) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] BRIDGE (null)
10de: 6a (4,1) 1 [ (null) - (null) ] AUDIO (null)
10de: 66 (2,0) 11 [ nVidia - nForce2 MCP Networking Adapter ] ETHERNET forcedeth
10de: 68 (12,3) 11 [ nVidia Corp - nForce2 USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller ] USB ehci-hcd
10de: 67 (12,3) 11 [ nVidia Corp - nForce2 USB 1.0 OHCI Controller ] USB usb-ohci
10de: 67 (12,3) 11 [ nVidia Corp - nForce2 USB 1.0 OHCI Controller ] USB usb-ohci
10de: 64 (12,5) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] SERIAL (null)
10de: 60 (6,1) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] BRIDGE (null)
10de: 1ef (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] MEMORY (null)
10de: 1ec (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] MEMORY (null)
10de: 1ed (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] MEMORY (null)
10de: 1ee (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] MEMORY (null)
10de: 1eb (5,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] MEMORY (null)
10de: 1e0 (6,0) 0 [ (null) - (null) ] BRIDGE (null)
Nothing found about audio :( And "forcedeth" seems to be ethernet module...
[i]always alert[/i]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

CocKain,
Try this:

# modprobe i810_audio

...if audio then works, let us know and i'll make it automatic at bootup.

CocKain

#8 Post by CocKain »

Yes, it works now, thank you, Barry!

Modprobe command works, it inserts 'ac97_codec' and 'i810_audio' modules. Is 'soundcore' module necessary?
Insmod command doesn't work properly (or I'm doing smth wrong). If I try 'insmod /lib...audio.ko.gz' it replies 'invalid module format'. If typed without .gz extension it says 'file not found'.
To have audio module loaded at every startup I should type this command into /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

I've got a strange feeling that gxine seems to be the only working audio player. Snap says it cannot set some frequency or smth and realplayer simply crashes. Also the audio editor cannot play any file, it says it cannot write to dsp device.
[i]always alert[/i]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

The i810_audio module in 2.4.27 kernel doesn't work very well.
I found it worked better in the 2.6 kernel.

Anyway, I'll probably upgrade to a later 2.4 kernel soon, and
hope the i810_audio module improves.

CocKain

#10 Post by CocKain »

I've tried it on 1.0.2 Puppy with 2.6 kernel... Could it be because odd versions of kernel are thought to be 'unstable' because it is for testing purposes, and even versions are 'stable', refined?
I hope today I'll manage to download 1.0.3 and to test audio in it. Maybe there's something wrong with realplayer...
[i]always alert[/i]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#11 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi,

Whelp, I'm away from the computer for three days, and when I come back, Barry has swooped in and fixed your problem! Good work, Barry!

And congrats on getting your sound up and running.

As I mentioned, sound is not perfect on my 'puter, either...but I haven't looked into it too deeply, and I haven't tried 1.0.3 on that machine yet. If I learn any secrets, I'll let you know.

ND

CocKain

#12 Post by CocKain »

Here is what Snack says (if anybody knew what it means):
Failed setting sample frequency.
Failed setting sample frequency.
while executing
"s play -command Next"
(procedure "Play" line 13)
invoked from within
"Play"
invoked from within
".panel.bp invoke"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
(procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .panel.bp"
(command bound to event)
To nduanetesh:
Have you tried playing mp3s with snack? Does it work? You said your Gxine had troubles with some file types. What were these types, I could try it on mine.
[i]always alert[/i]