Can't get Alltel 3g USB modem to work - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
hondasid

Can't get Alltel 3g USB modem to work - SOLVED

#1 Post by hondasid »

ok, i have read every single post that comes up when you search for alltel. I have installed 3gwirelessdialup.pet and usbmodeswitcher.pet . everytime i change a rule, on startup it gives me an invalid rule error. i have tried 2 different sticks with 2 different accounts, both are recognized as usb storage and show up as a cd drive on the desktop and pmount. I have specified usbserial be loaded on startup and changed wvdial.conf to usb/ttyUSB0. the connection wizard says a modem is detected at this point, but tests, probes, and connections are met with modem not detected or no such file or directory. Please help! I have computers waiting to be sold, if only I can solve this problem!

I'm running standard puppy 4.12 and have also tried it in macpup 4.12. neither work.
Last edited by hondasid on Tue 21 Apr 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

hondasid wrote:everytime i change a rule, on startup it gives me an invalid rule error.
Then identifying the exact model of device is clearly necessary.
Please plug in your wireless modem and run this command -

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values you see.

It might also help if you could report any numbers printed on the device.
hondasid wrote:I have specified usbserial be loaded on startup
That's not a good idea. usbserial will only work properly when it is loaded with the correct device ID's, and this should be done automatically by usb_modeswitch.

hondasid

#3 Post by hondasid »

ok, i ran the command you gave and got no such file or directory.

under pupscan, I got this info about the stick

Manufacturer=PANTECH
Product=USB MMC Storage
SerialNumber=000000000002
Vendor Id= 106c Product ID=3b03 Kernel Module = usb-storage

I have removed usbserial from startup modules, no change

technosaurus

#4 Post by technosaurus »

I run this script for my huawei with alltell

#!/bin/sh
rmmod usb-storage
rmmod usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001
pupdial

(you would just need to change your vendor Id and product ID)

phone is #777
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

hondasid

#5 Post by hondasid »

ok, i ran that script, with the id's changed to match my hardware. It at least tried to send initialization stings, but said modem not responding. it still sees this as a blank 28MB Cd that you can't write to. It seems like usbmodeswitcher isn't working. I've installed the 2 pets and supposedly all I had to do was set my apn, username and password and it would connect no problem. am i the only person with this problem?

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

hondasid wrote:Vendor Id= 106c Product ID=3b03 Kernel Module = usb-storage
OK, your results indicate that you have a UTStarcom UM175 wireless modem, which is obviously rebranded as Alltel.
It's interesting that Puppy identifies device 106c:3b03 as compatible with the usb-storage module, because I can't see that device ID defined within the usb-storage module? rerwin will need to deal with this eventually.
technosaurus wrote:modprobe usbserial vendor=0x.... product=0x....
No, no. hondasid's true modem device ID is "masked" behind a USB storage ID. So the usbserial module (or whatever module is truly compatible) cannot be loaded until usb_modeswitch does its magic.
In fact, once usb_modeswitch is run in this particular instance, hondasid's device ID will change from 106c:3b03 to 106c:3715.

I now attach a suitable configuration file for usb_modeswitch.
Once installed, run this command -

usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
EDIT: Please run pupscan at this point to check the new USB ID of the wireless modem. It should be 106c:3715.
And it appears the usbserial module is not correct. The cdc_acm module is correct instead. Refer -
http://blogger.ziesemer.com/2008/10/all ... buntu.html
So try to load the cdc_acm module -

modprobe cdc_acm
Now your wireless modem should be up and running.
Next step is to run pupdial.

If this works, I will give the relevant configuration information to rerwin to be incorporated into the 3G_pupdial-wireless package.
Attachments
usb_modeswitch.conf-alltel-test.pet
(540 Bytes) Downloaded 462 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 18 Apr 2009, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

@tempestuous - I mentioned that the vendor and product ID would need to be changed.... now that we know what the usbserial id is all that needs to be done is plug those numbers in and the script will work (which can be saved and used on almost any version of puppy)

#!/bin/sh
rmmod usb-storage
rmmod usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x106c product=0x3715
pupdial
save the file as whateveryounameit
to change permissions right click on the file -> file 'whateveryounameit' -> permissions -> Yes

when pupdial starts up probe

you should get usb0

all you have to change is the phone number (I click stupid mode and uncheck all the boxes at dial tone) then click dial
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

technosaurus wrote:

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x106c product=0x3715
Unfortunately no. These device ID's will not appear on the USB bus until after usb_modeswitch is run.
And I understand that usb_modeswitch not only changes the mode, it also automatically loads the usbserial module with the (newly revealed) device numbers.

hondasid

#9 Post by hondasid »

ok, i have the vendor id and product id from pupscan, but i think the product id gets changed. it will be tomorrow before I can test the .pet you gave me (i left my flash drive at work), but i will post as soon as i get it run in the afternoon.

the script you posted seems to have worked, kinda, but i still don't have a connection. and i know that you have to change the username to phonenumber@alltel.net and the password to alltel. right now, my problem is getting the modem recognized as a modem.

This is widely used in my area as a way to connect online. If I can get this to work, then I can turn on a lot of new users to Puppy.

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

hondasid wrote:it will be tomorrow before I can test the .pet you gave me (i left my flash drive at work)
Actually the dotpet I provided can be generated yourself:
create a new document in Geany. Paste this text into it -

DefaultVendor = 0x106c
DefaultProduct = 0x3b03

TargetVendor= 0x106c
TargetProduct= 0x3715

MessageEndpoint=0x05
MessageContent="555342431234567824000000800008ff024445564348470000 000000000000"
Save the file as /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
You will need to overwrite the original file supplied by rerwin's 3G_pupdial-wireless package.

Now go ahead and run the usb_modeswitch command as I explained earlier.

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

I just updated the earlier post to suggest that the cdc_acm module should be loaded instead of usbserial module.

hondasid

Partial Success!

#12 Post by hondasid »

ok, i made the .conf like you said and replaced it, ran the command, and boom. it recognizes the modem, but keeps initializing, waiting for carrier says no carrier and starts over.

I switched the wireless sticks and changed the phone numbers as a further test. Mine works. The other stick I have may actually be disconnected or i may have the wrong phone number for it, it is a customer's and not mine. but the .conf you provided, as well as the modprobe command work, so you guys can add that into a future release.

now comes the real test. lets get one of these sticks to connect on one of my P1 200M with 64 MB of RAM.

Thanx a million guys. I'm doing what I can to spread the Puppy word to Texas.

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

I need to know what you did after running the usb_modeswitch command - was it necessary to load the cdc_acm module?

hondasid

how i got it to work

#14 Post by hondasid »

i installed 3g wireless and usbmodeswitch.pet

i then made the script you gave me and saved it over the usbmodeswitch.conf

there was no modem symlink in /dev, so i added one from ttyUSB0 to Modem

i ran usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

i then ran modprobe cdc_acm

restarted the unit, and ran pupdial. hit probe, and everything was set up from there

Thanx a million. I can now re-install my puppy HD back into this dell so i don't have to use Windoze just for the internet connection.

(I had a problem and had to re-run both the commands and re-probe after a shutdown. Does that have to do with the boot msg I get, READ ONLY FILESYSTEM? If so, how do I correct?
y wife won't switch to puppy until I get the internet working with a click or 2.)

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

hondasid wrote:restarted the unit, and ran pupdial. hit probe, and everything was set up from there
Mmm, needing to restart the unit is ugly. I suggest you do some diagnosis:
after running the usb_modeswitch command the first time, run pupscan and check to see that the USB ID has changed to 106c:3715. If not, run the usb_modeswitch command a second time. I have heard cases where the message content that usb_modeswitch sends to the device needs to be repeated.

If successful in this manner, I suspect that the unit no longer needs to be restarted.

But if not, I'm quite unsure at this point, so please anyone else with knowledge in this area feel free to jump in.
I see a few possibilities
- the USB interface may be able to be re-initialised with some commands?
- the usb-storage module (which initially loaded) may be causing the problem, and may need to be unloaded.

And I suspect that when rerwin sets up a pupevent rule for your device that these problems may go away.
I have just sent rerwin a private message now.

hondasid

#16 Post by hondasid »

Well, you don't have to reboot, I did however because I had another error and needed to reboot.. The only problem I have it that every 2 or 3 reboots, I have to run the usb_modeswitch and modprobe commands all over again to be able to connect. Is there a way to fix this? I was thinking about writing a script that runs them both so i could just click, hit the connect and i'm done. Any fixes?

hondasid

#17 Post by hondasid »

Just thought I would add this. I got this working on an Asus 233Mhz with 64 MB of RAM, a 300 MB swap, with Puppy 4.12. I'm posting this from that unit, running 3g. A little slow, but way faster than M$ would be. Thanx guys.

rerwin

#18 Post by rerwin »

hondasid, tempestuous,
Thanks for calling my attention to this. I have checked my 3G-pupdial-wireless implementation and find that this modem appears to be supported by USB_modeswitch and the two drivers. It should be detected automatically. However, I suspect that the modeswitch is not being done correctly. In working with Wilky on another modem, I am at the point of suspecting a timing problem.

Apparently, both the usb-storage driver loading and usb_modeswitch are started at the same moment, by the same uevent. I understand that the driver is not accessed for 5 seconds, which suggests that that is the earliest the switching should be done. I am working on a delayed execution of usb_modeswitch, to wait 15 seconds before switching, giving 10 seconds for the storage driver to complete its setup of the hardware. The tricky part is to do all that in the background, so as to not impact the speed of initialization (by 15 seconds).
I have installed 3gwirelessdialup.pet and usbmodeswitcher.pet . everytime i change a rule, on startup it gives me an invalid rule error.
I assume you mean 3G-pupdial-wireless-9.pet and usb_modeswitch-0.9.6.pet from my project's initial page.

On thing you might try until I make a fix, is to enter a usb_modeswitch command after bootup. That would result in a sufficient delay. The possible problem might be that the automatic-but-too-early attempt prevents a second attempt from being successful.

usb_modeswitch -v 0x106c -p 0x3b03 -V 0x106c -P 0x3715 -m 0x05 -M 55534243904ed68a24000000800008ff024445564348470000000000000000 -W
(Copy and paste this, to prevent typos. It's all one line.) You should not need any other command or rule change (yet). This form of invocation does not use the .conf file, so changes to it are ignored. Please post or PM the output from usb_modeswitch, so I can verify all went well (I hope).
Richard

hondasid

#19 Post by hondasid »

ok, so i've rebooted several times now and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. I'm sending a unit out tomorrow that connects with the service, so hopefully he won't have any problems. I haven't used the code you gave me, rerwin, because it's working right and I'm kind of afraid to mess with it anymore. If it messes up again, then I'll run it and let you know.

hondasid

#20 Post by hondasid »

I also posted in the main thread of 3G discussion.

Ran the new 3G and usb_modeswitch packages n Pantech 175 from Alltel on several different units. It works perfectly, connects online everytime. Sorry it took so long to reply.