Woof Alpha 4

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Woof Alpha 4

#1 Post by tronkel »

Just tried to build a dPup using Woof 4

Following problems occurred:

using the 1download script - failed to find the following packages:
mped, libdrm-intel1, libdrm-nouveau1

Tried to download them from Debian. Found mped, but not the other 2

Then ran the 2createpackages script and got errors about missing pet packages - busybox, gedit, libmozjld, netsetup, notecase, rox-filer, scanpci, xserver-xorg-videe-i810 deb and xserver-xvesa pet.

Tried to get these from ibiblio but they're not there with correct version numbers. Found some with wrong version numbers so I tried that.

Then tried to 3builddistro. Script then bombed completely complaining about missing libraries.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tubby

#2 Post by tubby »

I have tried all day, making iso`s of ppup/dpup/upup and all seem to be missing something. My iso of ppup boots ok but i have no desktop icons, tray icons are there and function ok, can even save to the iso cd.
Like you i have searched for missing .pets, also changed the release numbers on some i found to finish the distro build, but all iso`s boot with problems.
I will carry on as it is good for my old grey matter.

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

tubby wrote:
I will carry on as it is good for my old grey matter
Yes, and the stress is supposed to be good for your soul as well!

I wonder if some of the problems here are related to the download sites themselves. They seem to remove packages from the server and maybe don't update their package lists.

I've been playing with Barry's pre-built uPup today. It boots up fine on my system - even recognises my ATI Radeon video card.

Unfortunately the package manager here also has problems accessing dependency packages from the servers at Ubuntu.

Ah well, it's still early days with Woof, so I daresay Barry's soul and grey-matter will become vastly improved by trying to find solutions to these bugs.

Like you, I'll just keep plodding on :)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Terryphi

Puppy Package Manager problems

#4 Post by Terryphi »

PPM looks very slick now and I have had no problem connecting to the server. However, I have tested the installation of 2 random Jaunty packages and neither produced working apps:

1. Liferea

PPM failed to identify all dependencies and when I added 2 manually Liferea still did not run.

2. Brasero

PPM identified several dependencies but missed 2. I added these manually and Brasero loaded but failed to find my CD drive.

I have these 2 apps running on Ubuntu Jaunty without problems.

The conclusion is that PPM is currently a long way from "point and click" application installation. This is understandable as it is only at alpha stage and no criticism of Barry's excellent work on Woof is intended. However, it would be a big mistake to rush and use this feature to promote Puppy to Ubuntu refugees who are used to the reliability of Synaptic. As has been previously suggested we need to test the installation of all popular apps to confirm what works and what does not - and produce a whitelist of ones that work.

Terryphi

Locale lost between boots

#5 Post by Terryphi »

During my testing I have on more than one occasion lost my en_GB locale setting between boots. Anyone else seen this?

BTW In which file is this saved?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

I use the Belgian locale and don't to seem having lost it.

I can't help however to point you the the file you ask.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

paulh177

#7 Post by paulh177 »

This is an Arch build.

I've posted the first bit of this on Barry's blog as well :

download failures :

Code: Select all

# cat DOWNLOAD-FAILS-PET 
busybox-1.8.2-5.pet 
net_setup-20090329.pet 
notecase-1.9.8-1.pet 
rox_filer-2.6.1-pup12.pet 
xserver_xvesa-7.3.pet 
# cat DOWNLOAD-FAILS-tar-gz 
i686 
i686 
i686 
i686
I can't find any of the named -PET packages in ibiblio or nluug repos; and of course the busybox and rox packages are rather integral to a successful distro build!
There are however, for instance, busybox-1.8.2-3.pet and busybox-1.8.2-4.pet which I guess I could have copied and renamed ... but no xvesa package at all so far as I could see.

During the createpackages process, I find the following:

Processing hdparm
Postprocessing with packages-templates/hdparm
cp: cannot stat `packages-apup/hdparm': No such file or directory
find: /tmp/hdparm: No such file or directory
find: /tmp/hdparm: No such file or directory
and

Postprocessing with packages-templates/parted
ls: cannot access lib/libparted*: No such file or directory
and

Processing iptables
 processing iptables-1.4.3.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `LIBARCHIVE.xattr.security.SMACK64'
(the latter goes on for 600 lines

paul

John Doe

#8 Post by John Doe »

Announcement:

I'm working on a major '0setup' overhaul, for everyone, by using perl and regex to convert the repo databases to standard puppy format.

Currently I have all three ubuntu files converting in ~7 seconds on a 900mhz machine (that's NOT a typo).

My entire '0setup' times are this:

9 min 56 sec - ubuntu
7 min 42 sec - debian
48 sec - slackware
10 min 7 sec - arch
Request for help:

Anyone that has completed running '0setup' with the default woof alpha 4 using any of the following configurations; ubuntu, debian, slackware, or arch, could you please post any or all of the following files that you can for me to compare with my files. I've been unable to run them completely with the standard code due to my slow machine. I've made it a ways and they look like they are correct. I just need to do a full comparison.

Packages-arch-200904-community
Packages-arch-200904-core
Packages-arch-200904-extra

Packages-debian-lenny-contrib
Packages-debian-lenny-main
Packages-debian-lenny-non-free

Packages-slackware-12.2-official
Packages-slackware-12.2-slacky

Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-main
Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-multiverse
Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-universe
Code:

I have attached the modified and new script(s) I'm working on. (btw, ubuntu uses the same format as debian).

0setup
convrepo-arch
convrepo-debian
convrepo-slack
Code Points:

1) 0setup has all but one change on lines 221-331 and one small change at line 383 (there was an echo without ""'s that was throwing an error). The other changes are simply commenting out the bash script that did the parsing between the switch options and calling the perl scripts instead.

2) The other three scripts are the perl logic to convert the text files. They each accept two arguments for 'file to convert' and 'save file name'. One can see these passed in as Bash vars from 0setup.

3) I attempted to name the perl files so they fit nicely in order and were easy to tell apart with a quick glance.

4) each perl script has a few comments regarding 'original output', 'new output' and 'expected string array value'. Hopefully these are self explainatory at this point.

5) convrepo-arch will kick out a few "errors". These are all expected and acounted for by the logic in the scripts. all scripts should maintain good database | formats if matches fail or suceed.

Code Testing:

1) to test, un gzip a fresh woofalpha4 and copy everything into the main directory and the run './0setup' using all four configs. Don't bother running './1download' yet unless you want to see what happens next..

2) to test results, use gnumeric to import a text file. Use pipe (|) delimiters and no charater for 'text quantifier'.

a) be careful, gnumeric will try to slip in a comma as a delimter on one of the examples. be sure to uncheck it or colums with be picked with |'s AND ,'s.
b) Also the third? colum with be formated for dates often. Change general formating to text and left align and all will look nice.

Objective:

I have the next two days off (due to rain) except for a few hours of hockey tomorrow night (GO REDWINGS!!). Hopefully I can get this squared away by then. That should fall around noonish thursday in AU?

Next Project:

It might be possible to save some processor time, by using perl, during the logic after the message "Checking that compat-distro pkgs specified in PKGS_SPECS_TABLE actually exist..." as well. But I'll save that for after the above.
Attachments
woof-alpha4-newscripts.tar.gz
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

paulh177

#9 Post by paulh177 »

I'm very happy to do this and will upload arch files for you as soon as I get home later today.
However I'm less clear about what I'll be looking for once I suck the database files into a spreadsheet? What qualifies as success, failure or problem?
also I'm just wondering is this something that youi're working on with Barry or are you now running separate Woof development tracks?

paulh177

#10 Post by paulh177 »

Sorry, I can't attach any files as the forum is giving me the elbow:

Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 256 KB
despite the fact that I have tarred them into a .bz2 archive of 156k only ...

paul

John Doe

#11 Post by John Doe »

paulh177 wrote:I'm very happy to do this and will upload arch files for you as soon as I get home later today.
Thanks!
paulh177 wrote:However I'm less clear about what I'll be looking for once I suck the database files into a spreadsheet? What qualifies as success, failure or problem?
Sorry for leaving that one short. I was at the end of two days of coding and my head was a knot.

Success would be gauged as one seeing really well formated output in precise columns. Ideally they would be nearly identical to the original output.

The purpose being to show that the output is solid pipe delimited and accounts for missing package info to retain proper column order throughout.

Failure or problems would be, for example, one entry having 12 columns and the rest having 11. Or one having 11 and the rest 12...etc...
paulh177 wrote:also I'm just wondering is this something that youi're working on with Barry or are you now running separate Woof development tracks?
I haven't had any contact with Barry on it and definitly no plans for my own wolf branch.

"Major Overhaul" was a poor choice of words, perhaps 'surgical fine tuning' would have been better. It's more of a different means to the same end in one small specific part of the code. I don't have any ideas about how to better the overall framework. Just a way to do a small part faster.

As usually with anything I post, Barry is more than welcome to include it if he wants or ignore it.

I'll post the finished files here either way.

John Doe

#12 Post by John Doe »

paulh177 wrote:Sorry, I can't attach any files as the forum is giving me the elbow:

Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 256 KB
despite the fact that I have tarred them into a .bz2 archive of 156k only ...
Bummer.

Could you try attaching them in a PM to me? I seem to recall someone mentioned to me that there was a larger limit to the size of files that could be sent that way.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

John Doe wrote:Announcement:

I'm working on a major '0setup' overhaul, for everyone, by using perl and regex to convert the repo databases to standard puppy format.

Currently I have all three ubuntu files converting in ~7 seconds on a 900mhz machine (that's NOT a typo).

My entire '0setup' times are this:

9 min 56 sec - ubuntu
7 min 42 sec - debian
48 sec - slackware
10 min 7 sec - arch
Request for help:

Anyone that has completed running '0setup' with the default woof alpha 4 using any of the following configurations; ubuntu, debian, slackware, or arch, could you please post any or all of the following files that you can for me to compare with my files. I've been unable to run them completely with the standard code due to my slow machine. I've made it a ways and they look like they are correct. I just need to do a full comparison.

Packages-arch-200904-community
Packages-arch-200904-core
Packages-arch-200904-extra

Packages-debian-lenny-contrib
Packages-debian-lenny-main
Packages-debian-lenny-non-free

Packages-slackware-12.2-official
Packages-slackware-12.2-slacky

Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-main
Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-multiverse
Packages-ubuntu-jaunty-universe
Code:

I have attached the modified and new script(s) I'm working on. (btw, ubuntu uses the same format as debian).

0setup
convrepo-arch
convrepo-debian
convrepo-slack
Code Points:

1) 0setup has all but one change on lines 221-331 and one small change at line 383 (there was an echo without ""'s that was throwing an error). The other changes are simply commenting out the bash script that did the parsing between the switch options and calling the perl scripts instead.

2) The other three scripts are the perl logic to convert the text files. They each accept two arguments for 'file to convert' and 'save file name'. One can see these passed in as Bash vars from 0setup.

3) I attempted to name the perl files so they fit nicely in order and were easy to tell apart with a quick glance.

4) each perl script has a few comments regarding 'original output', 'new output' and 'expected string array value'. Hopefully these are self explainatory at this point.

5) convrepo-arch will kick out a few "errors". These are all expected and acounted for by the logic in the scripts. all scripts should maintain good database | formats if matches fail or suceed.

Code Testing:

1) to test, un gzip a fresh woofalpha4 and copy everything into the main directory and the run './0setup' using all four configs. Don't bother running './1download' yet unless you want to see what happens next..

2) to test results, use gnumeric to import a text file. Use pipe (|) delimiters and no charater for 'text quantifier'.

a) be careful, gnumeric will try to slip in a comma as a delimter on one of the examples. be sure to uncheck it or colums with be picked with |'s AND ,'s.
b) Also the third? colum with be formated for dates often. Change general formating to text and left align and all will look nice.

Objective:

I have the next two days off (due to rain) except for a few hours of hockey tomorrow night (GO REDWINGS!!). Hopefully I can get this squared away by then. That should fall around noonish thursday in AU?

Next Project:

It might be possible to save some processor time, by using perl, during the logic after the message "Checking that compat-distro pkgs specified in PKGS_SPECS_TABLE actually exist..." as well. But I'll save that for after the above.
John,
Your input is most welcome!

Yes, the slowness of my code was not so good.

I'll check your script against my latest alpha5 '0setup' and merge your improvements. I'll add that to the todo list for alpha6 that I posted on my blog.

Of course, if will be better if Woof gets into Git/Svn one day.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tubby

xorg

#14 Post by tubby »

I have now built another dpup iso that boots ok from cd, saves files back to cd when i close down.
I have it now booting on a full install on my second drive partition, as i have 4.1 on my boot partition and grub recognizes it as hda1 and the second partition as hda2 i was getting the usual can`t find sfs when booting the dpup on the second drive partition.
The answer was to edit the grub menu.lst by changing hda2 to sda2, so now i can boot either of my pups.
I still have the problem of no xorg only vesa on the hard drive install, strange as it works ok on the cd boot.

This is a copy of the bootinit.log from the hard drive, does it help anyone solve the problem?.

FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00003580sv00001028sd0000017Fbc06sc00i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00003584sv00001028sd0000017Fbc08sc80i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00003585sv00001028sd0000017Fbc08sc80i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00003582sv00001028sd0000017Fbc03sc00i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00003582sv00001028sd0000017Fbc03sc80i00 not found.
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.4/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.4/kernel/drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.ko.gz
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.4/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko.gz
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d00002448sv00000000sd00000000bc06sc04i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d000024CCsv00000000sd00000000bc06sc01i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d000024CAsv00001028sd0000017Fbc01sc01i8a not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v00008086d000024C5sv00001028sd0000017Fbc04sc01i00 not found.
FATAL: Module pci:v000014E4d00004401sv00001028sd0000017Fbc02sc00i00 not found.
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.4/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/rsrc_nonstatic.ko.gz
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.27.4/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.ko.gz
mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

I am still not sure if the log has anything to do with xorg not working.

john