Puppy Artists Workshop

News, happenings
puppyluvr

#61 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Bear in mind that Nathan has Cinepaint running on Grafpup, on an older Puppy, 2.xx series I think but I couldnt access his site today...My first attempts involved using his Cinepaint stuff...
Installs fine, doesnt show errors then, but when executed shows above error..
This has to be a simple Puppy related thing..
I have up to date glibc, for the others, and that is the only thing I recognize in the error..
Between the Gimp w/raw and gap, Rawstudio, and Blender, almost (if not) all of Cinepaints functions are covered...Rawstudio does batch editing, but not as well as Phatch..And the Gimp does a lot more than you might first realize...And the same applies to Mtpaint...Even Xpaint will surprise you..And there is a Gimp 2.6.6 out..Still checking it out, seems the same...

But, darn it, it should work...I know its some little, simple thing, I`m just missing it...

Grrrrrrr........
(The Puppy Growls ..)

puppyiso

Eric has it

#62 Post by puppyiso »

puppyluvr, if I remember correctly, the site is down but Eric keeps the files at puppylinux.ca.(I have seen the post before)

You may be able to find cinepaint there.

src;
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/Grafpup/index. ... %2F2.xx%2F

John S

wjaguar

#63 Post by wjaguar »

puppyluvr wrote: So I tried to redo it with the .rpms from Fedora for i386..
After many dep`s, I got it to run, however, same error...
Maybe you'll have better success adapting a Slackware package?
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... nt/0.22.1/

puppyluvr

#64 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, more on Cinepaint...
@wjaguar,
Yea, that was my next thought too...So tried it from slack...
Quickly I found that Puppy does not have the right glibc-solibs..(2.5)
and it is locked out from Gslapt..(for good reason)..

So I hunted it all down, and installed it to Puppy...

DO NOT DO THIS.... :!:
Glibc is tightly integrated into Puppy, and messing with it.....well..
Severely broke Puppy.. :cry: RIP :cry:

Good thing I expected it to, and used a copy of my Puppy to test it...

Will keep trying....
Maybe an older version of Cinepaint, IDK....
:D :D :D

wjaguar

#65 Post by wjaguar »

puppyluvr wrote: Quickly I found that Puppy does not have the right glibc-solibs..(2.5)
and it is locked out from Gslapt..(for good reason)..
So I hunted it all down, and installed it to Puppy...
WHAT FOR??? :shock:
The best part of Slackware packaging convention is the slackbuilds - Bash scripts for rebuilding the package from sources. In http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... .22.1/src/ you have everything needed for rebuilding the package from sources (including sources themselves) on any more-or-less compatible system.
Alternately, you can try the binary package built for Slackware 11.0 - http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... nt/0.22-1/ Glibc is designed to be backwards compatible, so it's no problem if you have a newer one than the one the package had been built for.

37fleetwood

#66 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, I was playing in P.A.W. tonight and had a few issues/gripes. first I know I can get around most of these but to be really convenient...
first I hate ROX! for working with photos it is really nice to have a pane in the filer that allows you to quickly go from folder to folder without going up and down through all the intervening folders, something like Thunar or PCman.
next gripe is that Rox isn't showing image file preview icons, probably should be enabled and set to default.
clicking an image file from ROX opens the image in mpaint rather than an image viewer.
none of the image viewers let you go directly to Gimp, or any other program for that matter.
don't get me wrong, this is a great Puplet! Just needs a little tweaking to make it more photo nerd enabled. I'm currently using Ubuntu because it lets me move around much easier than Puppy. it's not about dumbing Puppy down, it's more about making an easy quick workflow.
you should try out Ubuntu Studio, very intuitive and clean interface. not exactly small at 1.3 gig and no live cd but if you have a drive laying around you might play with it to get ideas on how to tune up the P.A.W. hope you're not insulted by this because I really think P.A.W. could be way better, smaller, and faster than Ubuntu Studio.
Have you considered using something like NOP 4.13 or Boxpup as a base for P.A.W.? (boy Xfce 4.6 sure would be nice!)
I made another wallpaper for you, let me know if you like it. :)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

puppyluvr

#67 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello 37fleetwood,
Now thats what I like to see, thorough testing!! :D
1. I thought I had set image previews as default in Rox, will correct..
2. I set Mtpaint as default image viewer because I use it so much..Personal habit..( Mtpaint is the "unsung hero" of image editors, and will do so much more than most people know..) What would be better, Fotoxx or Gpicview...??
3. I will look at cross linking the Gimp from the Image viewers..I used Rox right clicks to provide multiple options to open files..
4. Sorry, I like Rox..I just open up 2 panes out of habit.
5. Jwm stays..East to configure, and I dont like Xfce...Too "Windows like" for me..
6. PAW is based on a barebones build, starting out at 50mb...Size was a consideration in everything, and I`m still "paring the fat" now..To base it on another Puplet would have made it much larger, and its too big now...For the final I`m going to remove Terragen / Wine and make an SFS of it instead..80mb for 1 program is just too much, and removing it will lower the minimum ram requirements to boot PAW..

:D Love the background, you`ll see it in the final.. :D

Thanks...Jay...

Edit...On a side note, I did get Cinepaint to run on PAW..Sort of...
Still crashed if launched from the menu or CLI...
BUT, if called from the "Background Setter" in Puppy, IT WORKED...
Showed "Color Management needs to be set" error, but other than that...
Very odd...Still could not call it any other way without freezing Jwm up..
But I got to play with it..Its VERY Gimp like...
Maybe someone will figure it out and make a pet or sfs of it.
I tried Compiling it, using RPM`s, Slackbuilds, Deb`s, exact same error (posted above) with every build...IDK...
Jay..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

wjaguar

#68 Post by wjaguar »

puppyluvr wrote: I tried Compiling it, using RPM`s, Slackbuilds, Deb`s, exact same error (posted above) with every build...
Try it with a different GTK+ version. The error you posted was GTK+ complaining of getting NULL when expecting a widget - which means something failed to get created somewhere (to be able to say more, I need a stack trace - which cinepaint's SIGSEGV handler helpfully offers to produce).

37fleetwood

#69 Post by 37fleetwood »

puppyluvr wrote:What would be better, Fotoxx or Gpicview...??
never liked Fotoxx and most of what it does is done better by Gimp or others. Gpicview works well but doesn't do much, actually I think I've found a compromise solution. in my time using Puppy I have gotten into a routine of installing the same list of programs and I don't know why I didn't do it the other day while I was playing, but one of my favorite programs to use is GQview. it lets you keep Rox and gives me, and anyone else who likes, paned browsing for photos. it also has right click context menus that can't be beat. in the right click context menu if you click "Properties" it will give you exif data and other stuff too. here is a screen cap of GQview installed in P.A.W. and no tweaking required.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

37fleetwood

#70 Post by 37fleetwood »

after looking around a little bit, I found this:
http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/
just a thought. :roll:
almost forgot, GQview hasn't been developed in a while so someone forked it and started going forward calling it geeqie, basically same program just major updates. please read the "new Features" section and see if it can't be incorporated, it's very cool. I'm playing with it in Ubuntu as we speak.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

puppyluvr

#71 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, I forgot the menu icon.. :(
Geeqie 1.0 Alpha3..384k Docs and all... :D
Just compiled it on Develpup, havnt tried it on PAW yet, but same kernel, so...

Very nice and light..after I fix the icon, I`ll put it up at my link...
But for now, for you... :D

37fleetwood

#72 Post by 37fleetwood »

First, Thank You for Geeqie! it works great!
and I know you said you weren't a fan of Xfce, but I like it alot and just thought I'd show a screen shot of P.A.W. running Xfce4.6 very well. after all with Puppy, it's all about having it your way, kinda like the old Burger King ads.
here are a couple caps:
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

jaymos

RC2

#73 Post by jaymos »

Hi Puppyluvr

I tried PAW RC2 on my laptop, and the hard drive is not visible.

Everything works fine using Puppy 4.20 however.

Do you have plans to upgrade your great effort to 4.20?

Have you made PET's for all the photographic packages that you installed on 4.1.2? If you have, maybe I can install everything on 4.20. I suppose things are not so simplistc!

Regards
Jaco

puppyluvr

#74 Post by puppyluvr »

Quick note...Still no internet...Scraping up for new isp as old one ruined by floods...Cannot upload or download yet...Having to WAR a connection now and again for quick posts....Be back soon......

@jaymos,
Recently experienced the same problem on an ex-Vista machine, with ahci/sata drives...Am still trying to duplicate bug on other machines...
If I may ask, what are your machine specs????

@37fleetwood,
Hows that XFCE desktop working for you??? As pretty as it looks????

jaymos

#75 Post by jaymos »

Thank you for the reply.

My HP 6710b specifications from the web:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0Ghz 4MB cache 800Mhz FSB, Mobile Intel 965GM Express Chipset, 4096MB DDR2-667 SO-Dimm memory (2x2048), 160GB SATA 5400rpm Hard Drive, DVD+-RW SuperMulti Double Layer writer, 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 resolution) TFT LCD Display, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 up to 384MB shared graphics, Intel 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, 56k modem, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, Fingerprint reader and Trusted Platform Module, Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition 32/64 + Office 2007 Ready

Jaco

puppyluvr

#76 Post by puppyluvr »

Quick post from my car in front of a closed coffee shop.... :D
@jaymos,
Wow, nice machine dude...If you knew what I built PAW on...LOL
Unfortunately, I dont have access to an SATA machine ATM, however, I might be able to borrow one for "Testing", as is how I discovered this problem myself recently...(Hey, gotta get some return for fixing those "Doze" problems..)

I am currently running PAW on my Wifes Vista machine, with SATA drives, and it sees them correctly, however, I have the zdrv301.sfs (renamed to 4.12) mounted with it, for Video reasons..( A cludgy fix I admit, alas...it works....) as she needs PAW to run on it... NOW..LOL...Gotta keep her off the "Doze"...
So, hey, until I figure it out, you might try it....

OK..gotta run.....

37fleetwood

#77 Post by 37fleetwood »

really digging Xfce 4.6 at first, it looks the same as the last version but there really are quite a bunch of improvements. for the non techie like me lots of things are more automated than Jwm and the pet is only 4mb. recently I was playing with Woof which uses the Ubuntu repositories. this gives you access to basically anything that you can get with Ubuntu. wow, what a knockout punch combination! theoretically you can install the Ubuntu desktop and use all the Gnome stuff with the convenience of multi-session live discs. Puppy is becoming very mature very quickly. small and quick for those who want that and flexible enough to run packages from the big boys! if you addressed the issue of color management, you'd be way ahead of all the Linuxes. :D
sorry to hear of your troubles :oops: , hoping things get back to normal for you asap!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

Chinook

#78 Post by Chinook »

YES!!! THANK YOU!!!! Ive been looking for a live cd like this for ages!
Finally I can keep it on my flash drive and use Blender anywhere. But It would be cool if you could add some music composition like LMMS,a non linear video editor, Blender 2.49 if it isn't already and the new Yafaray.

Caneri

#79 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jay,

With .asia offline I made a copy of PAW_RC-2 here

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/puppyluvr/

Cheers,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

puppyluvr

#80 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Eric, Thanks... :D

Chinook, Thank you too... :D
The Blender in PAW is 248, hope thats close enough... :D
As for Video and Audio editing, PAW is pretty full as it is!!
For Video editing, try Mediapup...
For Audio editing, try Pupitup, or the Puppy DAW.
...Jay...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...