Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 08:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Who's in charge?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 10 [136 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 13:42    Post subject:  Who's in charge?  

Well I've been out of the loop for a long time now and truth be told I haven't even ran any recent Puppy releases since about just before Puppy 4? Anyway, I've been looking around on the forum today and saw a lot of s*&%, but I can't seem to figure out from what I've read what exactly is going on with Puppy lately.

So, my questions are as follows (in order of importance to me) -

1) Is Warren still coordinating, or is his retirement official?

2) What should I download if I want to try the latest and greatest?

3) What direction is development heading, do we still have a distro that "just works" or not, and if not then what is the release schedule (if any) and goals for the next release, one after that, etc. Feel free to point me to where it may already be written down, just so long as I'm not forced to read through 25 pages of extraneous bull$^&t before I can make any sense of it.

4) Now, in case anyone hasn't picked up on it yet, I'm a bit pissed about some of what I already read this morning. There are a number of people acting like babies here IMO and I see a lot of caustic, personally demeaning comments that I don't see any reason for. The question is, how long has this sort of thing been going on and is there any reason to believe it might end at some point?

I applaud Pizzasgood for locking one extremely nasty and non-productive thread. I also applaud his decision not to delete it. I sincerely hope that he doesn't have to repeat that action, but I've seen more of the same in several other threads so I imagine he will.

Cheers people,
Nathan

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 15:30    Post subject: blog  

Great to see you again, Nathan.

You can see development better via Barry's blog at puppylinux.com/blog
He is doing a woofathon with Ubuntupup (upup).

At the moment Warren is finishing with 4.2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41415&start=60

Elsewhere, people are experimenting with new-kernel builds: wow with ultrapup (unnamed puplet), kirk with fatdog, Mark with newyearspup.

Maybe Woof (new way of building Puppy) will also lead to this new-kernel way of building the Puppy. IMHO, it is a way of coping with new hardware without bothering much with many additional driver modules.

Right now am typing this in the eee using kernel 2.6.29 posted by Mark.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41654

Hmm, so the banter has been noticeable? You've come back at the right time!

Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 15:44    Post subject:  

Well don't count on me being back actually. I'm just a user these days, albeit one who cares and knows a bit. But I have way too many challenges right now to contribute in any meaningful way.

Thanks for the replies. Thanks to Mark, too, not sure where his reply went though. I may try the release Warren puts out then. I've been updating my own system by compiling source packages for a long time now, but it's about time to replace the core. My glibc and such are a couple years old now. I just want to do a HD install with something current but small (Puppy always fit the bill nicely) so I can start over without starting from scratch. Laughing

Nathan

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 15:48    Post subject:  

Hello

4.21 is due out soon Cool .

Some fun thoughts being thrashed about here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=299153#top

Woof is fun too, if you have the time.... it takes about 4 or 5 hours to build, or you can get BK's latest "upup", based on Jaunty.

Cheers

Mick

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 16:55    Post subject:  

You didn't see MU's reply this time because you double-posted this thread and he posted in the other one.

Normally when I catch a duplicate before it's had replies I can just remove one. This time I'll have to leave the other one, but to avoid confusion I'll lock it and add a link in each thread to the other.

Discussion will continue here.

The duplicate is over here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41669

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 17:20    Post subject:  

Quote:
4) Now, in case anyone hasn't picked up on it yet, I'm a bit pissed about some of what I already read this morning. There are a number of people acting like babies here IMO and I see a lot of caustic, personally demeaning comments that I don't see any reason for. The question is, how long has this sort of thing been going on and is there any reason to believe it might end at some point?
On and off all Spring seems like. I'm getting quite fed up. I do believe that the worst is over and it's on it's way out though.

I'd better be right. (Hint hint)

Quote:
do we still have a distro that "just works" or not

In my experience 4.2 does mostly just work. There are apparently issues with some Windows document formats and maybe Cups. I've been too swamped with school to keep up with the bug reports.

This is the first Puppy to ever configure the xorg.conf file correctly-enough for X to start on my dual-screen setup. It doesn't actually set up both screens or anything, it just gets the primary up and running. All other Puppies require me to manually correct the xorg.conf before X will run at all. Actually, the fact that I have two screens is irrelevant. It's the two graphics cards that were the problem. This situation also arises on a computer with both onboard graphics and a graphics card. I imagine a lot of people who had issues getting Xorg to work will now find it does.

So in that area at least, this version of Puppy just works better than the old ones.

Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 18:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
In my experience 4.2 does mostly just work. There are apparently issues with some Windows document formats and maybe Cups.

I did read a bit about that and it sounds like the problem lay with some undocumented changes made to Abiword (in the case of Word docs). Hardly a case of someone here screwing up.

As for Cups, well I'm not even used to having it available in Puppy yet...yeah I'm turning into a crochety old fart. Back in my day...

Sorry for the double post. My net connection must have dropped partway through, as it's wont to do.

Quote:
Woof is fun too, if you have the time.... it takes about 4 or 5 hours to build, or you can get BK's latest "upup", based on Jaunty.

I will probably try Upup too. As for Woof, as much as I'm interested I'm not sure I'll really ever be able to find the time to try the build scripts out. But it does make me wonder about some things, like the possibility of a Fedora based build or even *BSD, assuming someone put in the time to develop workarounds for the lack of squashfs and such. Ah well, as I said I have not the time myself.

Nathan

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 20:00    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
My glibc and such are a couple years old now. I just want to do a HD install with something current but small (Puppy always fit the bill nicely) so I can start over without starting from scratch. Laughing

Nathan

The Glibc is puppy 4.2 is around 1+ years old now, Dpup by results is the fastest release, from what I've been reading, I've been using Dpup for weeks now and switch back to 4.2 to help out and then revert back to Dpup, Dpup does do circles around 4.2 and Firefox 3 works perfect on it. Barry is still in charge, but not really involved with day to day operations of the main release, WhoDo is still topdog for 4.2. But he wants to step down or has stepped down, it changes somewhat, we will soon not have a leader, unless WhoDo has break and comes back refreshed Smile
ttuuxxx

Ps I edited 4.2 and removed pwidgets and icewm, then added most of the current fixes to this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40852
You could try that version, It also has xfburn and a few newer icons.

ecomoney

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 21:06    Post subject:  

Yes, undocumented and UNTESTED changes in Abiword. Its been up for a month and hasnt been fixed yet. Puppy is a top ten distro now (it was about 20th when you left?), and there is a lot of people coming over from XP now support for it has dropped...hence me making a big deal of it (I did the work in the £30 cybercafe so I see the effects IRL). Still, Im sorry I came across how I did, however provoked...but Im not sorry for speaking up about it.....Ive seen a bit of the world too.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40845

Weve done a bit of thinking as to how it can be avoided in future...PG has already done some of the forum groundwork for this (the "bugs" section in "current puppy development") etc. Hopefully everyone is a little bit wiser I know I am. Happily, myself and Ttuxxx have had a more productive working relationship of late.

Weve also figured out that Puppy is green.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 21:14    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
myself and Ttuxxx have had a more productive working relationship of late.
[/url].

What about you and WhoDo, hows that relationship flourishing? lol
ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2009, 04:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
Fedora based build or even *BSD

Hello again Nathan Smile
Still driving trucks? How is the photography?
Still following 'The Carpenter'? Cool

I feel RPM compatibility and Fedora friskiness could well be a woofable future build. Puppy can wear a red hat . . .

BSD I had never thought of . . . Cool
BSD seem to have a better file system than the often messy penguin.
Is there an Open Darwin (BSD used by Mac)?

Puppy
Small is 'The New Big'

Last edited by Lobster on Mon 11 May 2009, 02:15; edited 1 time in total
trio

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2009, 05:35    Post subject:  

if we go back to "who will be in charge" ..then..should there be a thread about it? or already? where?
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2009, 05:44    Post subject:  

trio wrote:
if we go back to "who will be in charge" ..then..should there be a thread about it? or already? where?

WhoDo's not dead in the water yet, Lets not start fighting over his crown just yet. Like he said, he might just need to recoup, have a break and come back refreshed.
ttuuxxx

trio

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:00    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
trio wrote:

WhoDo's not dead in the water yet, Lets not start fighting over his crown just yet. Like he said, he might just need to recoup, have a break and come back refreshed.
ttuuxxx

Well for one, I will not want to be elected as leader, I am not capable of it..

two, I still want Whodo as the leader but it's not important what I think as he made it clear that he resigned...pity but true..he knows I'm his no 1 supporter Laughing

three, I am thinking Lobster can be a "temporary" leader as he already leads threads about the Kennel...then soon after 4.2.1 is released...then a leader should be elected

Billwho?

Location: still "In The Dog House" East Coast Oz Trialing 4.20

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2009, 06:15    Post subject:  

@Trio
The only problem with electing our leader is that then we will get a politician, and they can't be trusted.

Page 1 of 10 [136 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: